Sena RideConnected App! Is this the last bit we have been waiting for?

Roadrash Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just came across this app advertised by sena,

It basically allows you to connect any Sena headset to any number of other Sena headsets (any model with 4.1 bluetooth) as long as they have the latest firmware.

Connects via your smarphone so allows connection over any distance.

Will be having a look at this for our group trips I think.

www.sena.com/software/#headset-app

https://youtu.be/fEd989KnOao

:clap

good find , I have Sena along with a few friends

I think I've read somewhere that the app works with all existing Sena devices. If that is the case then it will be potentially much more useful as not everyone I ride with has a 4.1 device.

sounds good, where is the catch?

Being ignorant of how phones can connect other than thru the local cell, I wonder just how it works, I mean a piece of string can only be so long, can't it?
what call charges will accrue?
no detail I can find on sena website about how the phones link up and the cost to the phone account of so doing, eg roaming charges, data usage maybe ok for uk but what about riding in europe or elsewhere?

more info needed before I jump in I think!

It works on your phone contract, so the cost is whatever you have set up with your provider. Agree the oversees tariff might want looking at but worth a play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep will be looking into it
Anything that avoids Bluetooth drop out always at worst moment must be worth a look!

Raised the data use with sena, this is their response
Agent#6, Jan 17, 1:07 PM PST:
Hello,

The standard data uses of the SENA Ride connected app is 13.2MB up to 26 MB per hour.

Thanks,

Shauna
Support Team
Sena Technologies Inc.
Unquote

Now all I need to do is establish what costs this might be when roaming in Europe, wish me luck!

OK
early signs are mixed!

On my contract, data roaming costs £0.04 per MB data, within the EU. So using the above data comsumption for the app, this could cost between £0.53 per hour and £1.04 per hour. Just for fun, if you are connected via sena app for an average riding day of say 7 Hours, thats £3-71 a day or £7.28 a day, 7 day tour is £25.70, 10 day is £37-10 14 day tour is £51.94...........Hmmm!

Now suppose you stray outside the EU, costs rise dramatically, 1 MB will cost you £105-60 for an hour up to £208-00 for an hour, all based on Senas own rates of consumption!! absolutely obscene, not even going to do the math for even a week!! (Switzerland is not in the EU, for example)

OK, so use it in UK only, well data usage on my contract is £0-10p per MB here, so not so good a deal, is it?
Ah well, switch off 4G and rely on WIFI?? after all there are lots of MacDonalds to pass by, keep in touch whenever you are in range!!!
I do hope I have ot this wrong, somebody please tell I have, maybe other contracts have better rates than I do?

If Not, Ah well, guess I'll stick to bluetooth for the time being!

OK
early signs are mixed!

On my contract, data roaming costs £0.04 per MB data, within the EU. So using the above data comsumption for the app, this could cost between £0.53 per hour and £1.04 per hour. Just for fun, if you are connected via sena app for an average riding day of say 7 Hours, thats £3-71 a day or £7.28 a day, 7 day tour is £25.70, 10 day is £37-10 14 day tour is £51.94...........Hmmm!

Now suppose you stray outside the EU, costs rise dramatically, 1 MB will cost you £105-60 for an hour up to £208-00 for an hour, all based on Senas own rates of consumption!! absolutely obscene, not even going to do the math for even a week!! (Switzerland is not in the EU, for example)

OK, so use it in UK only, well data usage on my contract is £0-10p per MB here, so not so good a deal, is it?
Ah well, switch off 4G and rely on WIFI?? after all there are lots of MacDonalds to pass by, keep in touch whenever you are in range!!!
I do hope I have ot this wrong, somebody please tell I have, maybe other contracts have better rates than I do?

If Not, Ah well, guess I'll stick to bluetooth for the time being!

Are they saying it has to use data? Or can you not connect sena to Bluetooth phone then use air time (phone) rather than data / wifi?

Sorry, but why? Any more connected riders than 4 direct, and more indirectly sounds like hell in earth. As for distance, if some bugger is so far away to be lost or disconnected from you, a quick call on your mobile via Sena puts you nicely back in touch. What about shite phone signals too? Dont see the point in it all messen:nenau

:thumb2

Sorry, but why? Any more connected riders than 4 direct, and more indirectly sounds like hell in earth. As for distance, if some bugger is so far away to be lost or disconnected from you, a quick call on your mobile via Sena puts you nicely back in touch. What about shite phone signals too? Dont see the point in it all messen:nenau

:thumb2[/]

Doesn't look like it's a goer just yet but with a lot of people dropping Autocom as it packs up or as they buy new bikes with Bluetooth nav and what not, connecting any number together can be a pain or impossible now.

So if this thing did work and you could eventually connect any make of headset via your phone it might be worth a punt. Or you buy a Bluetooth adaptor with a pmr radio costing you about another £300 for both, no fooking chance, I'm from Donysville so as tight as you Dee Dars.

ANY UPDATES?

I've downloaded the app and had a look at it but haven't had an opportunity to road test. A couple of questions occur to me, the questions relate to use with, in my case, a 20s -

- If connected to another rider via Rideconnected, can the sat nav, phone still be heard?.
- does Rideconnected take precedence over/cancel/prevent a Bluetooth intercom link with another rider
- what are the costs as far as data and phone use are concerned

Thanks for any info

ANY UPDATES?

I've downloaded the app and had a look at it but haven't had an opportunity to road test. A couple of questions occur to me, the questions relate to use with, in my case, a 20s -

- If connected to another rider via Rideconnected, can the sat nav, phone still be heard?.
- does Rideconnected take precedence over/cancel/prevent a Bluetooth intercom link with another rider
- what are the costs as far as data and phone use are concerned

Thanks for any info
Its a new app, maybe not many peeps have tried it yet....
see post 7 re costs, sena responded very quickly when asked, why not try them with yoiur queries and let us know what they say??

Road Tested!

Overall Assessment - works fairly well but limited appeal, certainly offers the opportunity to maintain contact over any distance but it eats battery on phones - they will need to be connected to a power supply for extended use. Sound quality not as good as with a good bluetooth intercom connection and not as good as when making/receiving a phone call. The delay in transmission is very evident and irritating

Conclusion - I'm glad I didn't pay for it. Seems like another example of SENA road testing a product using the general public as the testers. I watch with interest for future developments

Would I use it again? - possibly, but probably not with a group as the delay tends to result in too many talking at the same time. Imagine the scenario when you are travelling with one or two others and the group becomes separated. Trying to initiate a group chat in those circumstance would mean stopping to use the phone to do it and those you wanted to talk to would presumably have to stop and use their phones to respond to your request/invitation. Giving them a call via BT intercom would be much more simple and possible to do on the move (certainly with a SENA)

Ease of use - fairly easy to set up when stationary but impossible to operate when on the move as it's necessary to use the phone to initiate a conversation, I answered a phone call during a 'ride connected conversation' and couldn't return to the group after the call ended as I needed to use my phone to do so (difficult and illegal!)

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who found the app more useful/biker friendly than I did

You need to use the phone to initiate a conversation ? That sounds like fecking pointless while out on the bike.

Agree
Silly me I just assumed that once you had set your group of "connected" phones up the app would seamlessly switch from BT to data link as and when bt drops out and bt reconnects Now that would have solved the biggest issue with BT comma!!
Instead seems the app is either on or not
And there are delays/gaps between send and receive
Back to autocom and PMRs sounds like with extra cost and flat batttery
Hmmm might just pair phone with zumo and pair zumo with SENA
So I can call others up by phone on the go (or at least without having to remove helmet)if we get split......
Which is what we do currently
I'm out
🍋

My iPhone can talk to other iPhones and share photos. I presume that's Bluetooth. Would it be possible to get them to talk to each other as in voice? Imagine that? Bye bye all the gadgets nessessary for comms. What do you think? JJH

Back
Top Bottom