Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Honda CRF250 Rally.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Well finally got a test ride this afternoon, admittedly only for 20 miles and half hour, would of liked a lot more and was strictly told no off road riding! The bike had zero miles, so tyre and brakes needed breaking in and engine felt tight, but having not ridden a road bike for a good number of years, I was prepared to not be stunned by the performance. I had to use my trials helmet, boots and gloves and some old riding kit, that I have kept back from 2003. The open face helmet was a bit of a drawback for anything over 60, but I found the screen was pretty effective, even though it was quite windy. I really enjoyed the bike, didn't feel heavy at all and very easy to do figure of eights on lock, at snail pace in the dealer car park, it felt very well balanced. I thought the power was ok for riding back roads and green lanes, but I'm really torn on whether I could live with it, on dual carriageways and motorways (it would be my only road bike). The rear shock does feel overly soft, doesn't seem to effect the bike on road, the ride comfort on bumpy back roads was nice, but I don't like the fact that the rear squats down so much, just lifting the bike of its side stand, let alone sitting on it. I do wish I could of got the test bike for longer than the half hour I had it for, maybe I need to try and get another test ride, on a bike that's run in and get more than half hour on the bike?

If I did get one, I'd sort rear shock out immediately, maybe change tyres to a better make and fit adjustable brake and clutch levers. As for adding a little more power, that is possible, but at a fair cost.

I think I'll wait a while, see how things pan out and maybe later this year, you might be able to get them at a reasonable discount, or the 500 version that mcn hinted at, might appear? At a lower price, I'd be very willing to take a chance.

I think it's a cracking little bike, but I do think Honda have missed the ball park with it slightly. For the European and North America markets, it would of been so much better if they could of given it maybe 35+hp and a rear shock setup for 80/90kg riders instead of the light weight Asia riders. Then again, I guess we're lucky Honda even decided to make this, but if it had that 35+hp engine, they'd probably sell a lot more.

There is a rumour H are bringing out a more powerful version , something to compete in the mid sized trail / mini adventure market, then there is the T7 Tenere Yam are supposedly working on to replace the 660

Decided to take the plunge and get one in the end, early days but it's a cracking little bike and very pleased with it.

That looks superb

Fat blokes bounce better

"The human race is being overun by muppets, it's like fraggle f*ckin rock down here!!!"

flipfly - Dec 2012

What Flipfly said +++

Have already modified the rear tail/mudguard, as you can see, have a few other mods to do, basically for rider comfort, Fatbars and risers, barkbusters, heated grips and adjustable clutch and brake levers. Hoping an alloy sump guards will be available sometime soon, but all those things are just personal touches. The Rally is quite expensive for a 250, but a sizeable discount is possible and when you consider how much push bikes can be these days, it's well worth considering.

A few updates, Barkbusters, Renthals fatbars, bar risers, adjustable clutch, brake levers and phone mount for gps and OS maps 1:25k. Loving the bike on the B and C roads and hope to do some green lanes once it's run in.

Oh, any advice with the OS map 1:25k, the app allows the phone to auto shut off, unlike other gps apps like tom tom etc. Does anybody know if it can be kept on all the time?

Sat on my dealers demo....nice wee bike. I've the Africa Twin booked in for its first big service next week and I'll probably have a few hours to kill, so a demo ride is in order. Preferably I'll take the new CB1100 out, but hopefully have time to fit in the 250.
    Why so serious ?

Quote Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
    Sat on my dealers demo....nice wee bike. I've the Africa Twin booked in for its first big service next week and I'll probably have a few hours to kill, so a demo ride is in order. Preferably I'll take the new CB1100 out, but hopefully have time to fit in the 250.
    Out of the crate, the rear suspension is very soft, peload needs adjusting, but most dealers don't adjust it. Don't expect to be blown away by the power, it's not fast at all, but accept it for what it is, a 24hp 250 single, it's actually a very, very enjoyable bike to ride, just not fast.

FYI. I just ordered replacement parts direct from Thailand for my CRF250L via Bikerzbits.com, ordered last Sunday and they were delivered on Thursday. Big saving over U.K. prices even with postage and no duty was charged. (Original grips LH and Throttle). Might be useful for Rally owners as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12