Am I the only one who hates the transmission?

Not at all, that is exactly how the shift assist is designed to work and I find that the more the transmission is loaded the better it changes

For maximum acceleration I just nail the throttle and snick up just before the red line in each gear, the shifter blips the throttle for you

The electronics stop it wheelying too so you can be as untalented as you like :cool:

Exactly. GSAP is meant to be used with an open throttle, ideally at high revs. I don't think this RTZ chap has any experience of GSAP.

Exactly. GSAP is meant to be used with an open throttle, ideally at high revs. I don't think this RTZ chap has any experience of GSAP.

There is somewhat of a difference between open throttle and full redline throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power and torque has dropped off by the time you hit the redline..........I really don't see the point to it. Have a look at the bikes power curve and rev it to where the power starts dropping off. (that's a general comment for all engines)

There is somewhat of a difference between open throttle and full redline throttle.

How many miles have you ridden on a GS/ GSA with GSAP?

My last 3 bikes have had it, and I can assure you that it works perfectly, even at full redline throttle.

There is something quite special sat at the traffic lights and frightening the bejeeesus out of parallel queuing cars with the 'clunk' of first gear.

From past experence of several bikes with quick shifters, they performed very well changing up on full throttle. As stated previously however, the quick shifter on my GS was very disapointing compaired to my others so much so I rarely used it.

From past experience of several bikes with quick shifters, they performed very well changing up on full throttle. As stated previously however, the quick shifter on my GS was very disapointing compaired to my others so much so I rarely used it.

From my POV, the blip-on-down-shift is "the killer app". I just love it. It makes the ride so much easier and smoother. I learned to blip the throttle when changing down when I first started riding in the early 70's. But changing down while braking could be challenging, though potentially messy. I was never taught this brake then block-shift stuff. ;-) Now, barreling towards your corner turn point point, braking and changing down at the same time has never been easier. Did I mention I love it?

From my POV, the blip-on-down-shift is "the killer app". I just love it. It makes the ride so much easier and smoother. I learned to blip the throttle when changing down when I first started riding in the early 70's. But changing down while braking could be challenging, though potentially messy. I was never taught this brake then block-shift stuff. ;-) Now, barreling towards your corner turn point point, braking and changing down at the same time has never been easier. Did I mention I love it?

Spot on :agree

first time I've even heard of block shifting on a bike ! I like my engine braking too much for that, I trail brake a lot too

Bodgineer will be around to tell you how to change gear.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Here you go - I couldn't resist - all it takes is a bit of learning and adaption, 100 gazillion GS riders manage it, but a few cant -simples :)

PS I am referring to manually change using clutch, not GSAP.

If you have GSAP I challenge you to go to red line in 1st gear, then hit the shift and see what happens.

Yep, done that, don't make a habit of it but now and again i've given it the absolute berries with no problem at all (OK I change just before the red line but hey)

As I said, the anti wheely function means you can be a total hamfisted mong and still not get a face full of clocks (not the case on all bikes :rolleyes:)

BMW do say, in fairness, that it should be used from 2nd upwards, and that 1st to 2nd with the shifter isn't recommended. I've done it on mine a few times, and it's mostly been fine, but if you shut the throttle off AT ALL when changing between 1st and 2nd, it's not a pleasant experience.

Back
Top Bottom