Help needed to plot routes?

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have never plotted routes before apart from putting address or post code into the sat nav and having got a clue where to start?

I have a navigator v and tom tom rider on my bike, which one would be the easiest to plot routes on? I have downloaded basecamp to my pc but that's as far as I have got. Hav'nt got a clue where I go from here so looking for some advise. I have read a few of the posts but not sure on which ones I should be following.

I am looking to plan a scenic route from Cochem in Germany down to the Black Forrest area, is there a ready available planned route I could use?

Do I need to buy maps for the basecamp programme/ or is there something else that would better for me to plan?

TA

I have never plotted routes before apart from putting address or post code into the sat nav and having got a clue where to start?

I have a navigator v and tom tom rider on my bike, which one would be the easiest to plot routes on? I have downloaded basecamp to my pc but that's as far as I have got. Hav'nt got a clue where I go from here so looking for some advise. I have read a few of the posts but not sure on which ones I should be following.

I am looking to plan a scenic route from Cochem in Germany down to the Black Forrest area, is there a ready available planned route I could use?

Do I need to buy maps for the basecamp programme/ or is there something else that would better for me to plan?

TA

with your navigator v connected to pc/mac. your installed map on the device should load into basecamp (you will be able to view and use it in basecamp while device is connected, all be it slower than having maps installed to either pc/mac.) you could also install garmin express to see if your nav has lifetime maps or maybe onetime update, as this will then give you the opertunity to download a mapset to your pc/mac.
if no maps are available, to make things easier for yourself, you could use one of the online route planners like motogoloco or the likes search for online route planner. you will need one with the function to transfer routes to either your nav v or tom tom.

I have viewed the videos and they shed a bit light on the subject. When I go into basecamp and try to zoom in on the maps there is little detail and missing towns etc that I know that should be there. Is there a more detailed map I can use from basecamp or do I need to purchase one from them?

TA

Basecamp comes with a base map which is totally useless. As Leedude3 says connect your Nav V to your PC while using basecamp and the detailed map from the Nav V should load onto basecamp.
Otherwise download city navigator 2017 from garmin onto your PC using Garmn express

I have viewed the videos and they shed a bit light on the subject. When I go into basecamp and try to zoom in on the maps there is little detail and missing towns etc that I know that should be there. Is there a more detailed map I can use from basecamp or do I need to purchase one from them?

TA

Download Garmin Express if you've not already done so.
Connect your Nav V to your PC & open Garmin Express.
Choose reinstall maps.
Click on options & choose PC only.
This will install your maps to your hard drive & can be viewed in BaseCamp without reconnecting your device every time.
The Nav V will have lifetime maps.

I have opened garmin express, how do I reinstall maps? It is saying that updates are available but will take 2.5 hours to install? it is also so saying that internal storage is 98% full, I have a memory card in the device can I transfer if so how? ....TA

I have opened garmin express, how do I reinstall maps? It is saying that updates are available but will take 2.5 hours to install? it is also so saying that internal storage is 98% full, I have a memory card in the device can I transfer if so how? ....TA

You won't have the option to reinstall if an update is available.
Click on options on the update screen & you should have the option of downloading the update to device & computer
This will install full maps to both. GE will choose the SD card if it needs to. It will overwrite the old maps.
Don't allow your PC to go into sleep mode whilst downloading.

As others have said get the maps on your PC first, if you didnt get free lifetime map updates with your device you can purchase this via garmin uk website, there are other routing tools out there such as mapsource which you might find a bit more user friendly than basecamp, see here http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/427817-A-copy-of-Mapsource
Also if you pm me your email I can send you a scenic route we took last year from Freudenstadt in the Black Forrest to Cochem, when you receive the file you can save it on your PC but you must have basecamp or mapsource installed.

this web site allows google maps routes to be saved as GPXs which can be used in Garmin
https://mapstogpx.com/

Just had a go at that. Do the route on Googlemaps. Copy the URL. Paste it into the window on the mapstogpx site. In my case it then opened up Tyre to Travel which is on my laptop. There's the route on the map. Transfer it to the Zumo 550 and job done! Handy bit of kit. Ta.

To be honest just getting a useable map on Basecamp is only the start of your woes, especially if you are a technophobe (not meaning you 47steve in particular just in general).
Once you do have it installed check out some Youtube Basecamp tutorials and build some test routes on familiar home roads before you start any holiday trips. this will help you get the feel of how Basecamp works.

this web site allows google maps routes to be saved as GPXs which can be used in Garmin
https://mapstogpx.com/

It's worth remembering that the maps on a Garmin device will differ from Google maps so it may change your chosen route or even suggest a recalculation. Worth checking the Google route in BaseCamp first to make sure it's not changed.

It's worth remembering that the maps on a Garmin device will differ from Google maps so it may change your chosen route or even suggest a recalculation. Worth checking the Google route in BaseCamp first to make sure it's not changed.

Good advice. I don't have a very high opinion of Google maps anyway but planning a route on different maps to those on your device is just asking for trouble. Have a look at Basecamp, it can be made to work if you are prepared to put in some effort. Personally I use Mapsource as it is far simpler to understand and does everything I need. Garmin still make Mapsource available as a download from their site so I guess I am not alone in preferring it.

John

You don't have to use Basecamp to plan a scenic route.
Instead you can program a multi-stop route direct in the device. Just decide on a series of waypoints and add them to the active route. You can sort them in order. With all multi-stop trips its handy to have the "skip" button enabled on your screen in case you miss an exact waypoint.

You don't have to use Basecamp to plan a scenic route.
Instead you can program a multi-stop route direct in the device. Just decide on a series of waypoints and add them to the active route. You can sort them in order. With all multi-stop trips its handy to have the "skip" button enabled on your screen in case you miss an exact waypoint.

Takes longer than doing it properly! And on the PC you can use via points rather than waypoints-less need of your skip function. OK if you are just out on the bike for a spin but if you are touring a little time spent planning the route saves much more time on the road. I usually carry a small notebook (about the size of a tablet) I can if required plan a route whilst sitting at the roadside. I don't see the point of using a planned route unless you are going to do it properly, better to just put in your destination and ask the device to take you there.

John

47Steve If you decide to down load Basecamp and you have downloaded the maps you need onto it, with Basecamp open click ctr o and the options menu should open. This may not be everyone's preferences but here are mine.
Click "Activity profile" in the drop down menu select driving. you will notice amongst the other options that Motorcycling is in there, I prefer not to use that because of Garmin's strange motorcycle routing.

Below this you will see two tabs General & Routing (Make sure your GPS is set identically to these settings) click Routing select Faster time in route preference, Road type avoidance I only have unpaved roads ticked. In feature type avoidance I have:-
Ferries, Cable cars, narrow trails, car pool lanes, date and time closures and climbing paths all ticked.

In Device transfer I have "always match route to the map on my device when transferring " ticked the other two options are blank.

There are generally two ways to create a route (probably more) you can create a start and finish waypoint using the waypoint tool (red flag) then use the new route tool (3 green boxes linked by green lines) when you click this a window will appear to drag start point and destination. this will automatically create a route by your route preference settings you can then drag the route around using the insert tool (pencil with +sign) watch a tutorial

The other way especially if its a long route create your start and destination waypoints and drop multiple waypoints at fair distances. Personally I use this method I find it easier.
I use the new route tool and link the start and waypoints together sometimes clicking on a road i wish to use will create a shaping point, you will notice the route creating to that point. be very careful here you need to drop the waypoints and/or shaping points on the correct side of the road otherwise you will get very unusual routing. if you go wrong use the undo arrow you can use this multiple times if you need to.

This is a start play around with the program building test routes, Honestly try to build one from where you live to somewhere scenic or a pub or somewhere scenic via the pub :D then send the route to your device and test your new found routing skills out on the bike or in the car. You will get a better understanding of its quirks on familiar roads. better off there than potentially riding round in circles in Germany.

Hey ho that's enough for now :aidan

Thanks for that Jersey.

I think I have managed to plan a few legs of the trip to the Black Forrest and downloaded onto the Nav V. I have found out how to send the route to my desktop but what format should I send it in as I want to email the route to my colleagues who can then loaded into the sat navs?

TA

Back
Top Bottom