Safety Glance / Lifesaver?

"Never put your 'bike anywhere your brain wan't five seconds earlier"

Some great input here, thank you Giles, Harry the Cat and Magnet :thumb

:beerjug:

"Never put your 'bike anywhere your brain wan't five seconds earlier"

He clearly listened to your wise words...

f69ae8ff43f779ca71b74f8c8c09f664.jpg

Being a National Observer/Local observer assessor i have to do the assessment every three years. It is done by RQM Mick Kinghorn, a nice chap from geordie land.
If Mick is who I think he is, he interviewed me for the IAM RoadSmart National Training Team last year, and yes, he is a nice chap.

I'm not quite sure what the IAM is saying there. The NO qualification has to be much tougher than the simple "ordinary" test because not only do you have to demonstrate a very high standard of riding you also have to observe and pick holes in the examiners ride too. The Masters is even tougher with little or no leeway for even minor errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure the IAM knows what it's saying there. I think the bottom line was we're waiting for Surety's number crunchers to do the maths and tell us the answer. The 'not a full test' had the smell of a get out.

As for the Masters my own view, corroborated to some extent by the former Head of Standards of the IAM, is that it was designed as a marketing tool to get members to part with money for a better badge. Certainly some of the early 'mentoring' was suspect imo. It's been saved I think by the examiners who have a fair idea what a standard should be but I'd still advise anyone taking it to seek out a 'mentor' they know and trust rather than paying for mentoring from an unknown quantity.

Giles thanks for that detailed explanation - it makes a lot of sense although I suspect that most of us would not be able to keep up that level of focus for mile after mile - on the otherhand if you do it as your day job then I guess it becomes almost second nature.

Credit where credit is due to Giles here

To actually be able to explain that like that is incredibly good.

I do believe my thought process when riding is along those lines but could i actually explain , it no way !

Giles thanks for that detailed explanation - it makes a lot of sense although I suspect that most of us would not be able to keep up that level of focus for mile after mile - on the otherhand if you do it as your day job then I guess it becomes almost second nature.

What's interesting to see, is riders on 'blind' roads that they haven't seen before. That's a good test of how well you can read a road....
(We can all ride the roads we know well)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure the IAM knows what it's saying there. I think the bottom line was we're waiting for Surety's number crunchers to do the maths and tell us the answer. The 'not a full test' had the smell of a get out.

As for the Masters my own view, corroborated to some extent by the former Head of Standards of the IAM, is that it was designed as a marketing tool to get members to part with money for a better badge. Certainly some of the early 'mentoring' was suspect imo. It's been saved I think by the examiners who have a fair idea what a standard should be but I'd still advise anyone taking it to seek out a 'mentor' they know and trust rather than paying for mentoring from an unknown quantity.

Agreed, I am a Masters mentor but unfortunately no riders in my neck of the woods are willing to stick their necks out to do it. Incidentally my mentor was my local IAM examiner.

If Mick is who I think he is, he interviewed me for the IAM RoadSmart National Training Team last year, and yes, he is a nice chap.

Yes I would imagine he will be the same guy. Full of good advice and always encouraging. I have taken to going out with Roddy Benzies, ex Tulliallan chief bike instructor for Police Scotland. He has set up a small business called Get2Grips and does instruction on a commercial basis. It is in my opinion the best money anyone could spend re training. Far better value than thrashing your mighty steed round Knockhill or some where else. You get a full day with Roddy and I mean 8-10 hours (well I did anyway) excellent value for money.

It does require a major mental shift in how you think about your riding and practice, practice, practice. If you apply the skills every time you go out on the bike then like any other skill it will become an unconscious competency.

It does require a major mental shift in how you think about your riding and practice, practice, practice. If you apply the skills every time you go out on the bike then like any other skill it will become an unconscious competency.

Depends upon what one is trying to achieve - how I ride in any one situation depends upon many things, sometimes it is as Giles describes, sometimes it is rather more laid back especially if I have a pillion - I pick and choose and have no fixed rules.

I have been riding since 1974 and apart from occasional reading and a Bikesafe course with the Cambridgeshire police a few years ago I have never done any 'advanced training', I would be arguing with their 'system' all the time, I have to learn in my way :)

Agreed, I am a Masters mentor but unfortunately no riders in my neck of the woods are willing to stick their necks out to do it. Incidentally my mentor was my local IAM examiner.

Yeah I think there is a lot of "pride" in passing the advanced test, observer qualification etc and most of these "riding gods"- ( there are a few in my IAM group ) are probably a bit frightened of the Masters test, and the result that may just follow for the normal IAM chap ( failure !)

i don't ski and never have been. if I were to go, I'd want black and white instruction from my ski instructor. 'When you ride across a cambered surface like this ... weight this leg' 'when you want to turn right ... bend this knee' ... or whatever you should do !

It's never too late Giles. Skiing's a piece of cake. No licences, no formal training requirement, no rules, no white lines (at least I've never found them) , overtaking, undertaking, and most of the other 'road users' started drinking about 10 ish:jager

We all do stuff in our own way, I learn, I am not taught :)

That sounds like some clichéd quote from a second rate motivational speaker :blast

I have been riding since 1974 and apart from occasional reading and a Bikesafe course with the Cambridgeshire police a few years ago I have never done any 'advanced training', I would be arguing with their 'system' all the time, I have to learn in my way :)

Are you even vaguely self aware enough to understand how pompous and arrogant that comes across as? :eek:

I'm interested to know where you draw the line;
So, novice rider, first bike, out on the road with no instruction what so ever. He doesn't need to be taught. He'll learn................

Or do you provide a modicum of instruction before letting said novice 'learn'................

Or.............??????

I actually can't be arsed to finish this post.............you've taken the biscuit, shagged it, married it and made it your own. All your own.....................

Andres

The two previous staff examiner's were of the view; pay for the petrol and get me lunch and I can show you just as much as you'll do on the Master's.

When you joined the RTT, you were expected to do the Master's it is now a condition for NTT.

Like everything, if you're not practicing your standards degrade.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom