Thread: ride routes

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

ride routes

Can you install into a nav3 ride magazine routes. Tonight I've tried and failed.

I have done it on a nav5 but I think this may be a step too far for an old nav3.

Any thoughts on this.

You should be able to do that. I just tested the download of one of the Ride routes

It comes as a compressed file, download it to a folder on your PC, click extract and you should end up with the file. I use Mapsource and so clicking on the file opens it in Mapsource. If you are using a Nav3 your Garmin maps will be rather old, I used openstreetmaps on my 2610 which is a similar device. Once you have opened the file and can see the route you will need to recalculate it so that it is working on your own maps. I would make a copy of the route so as to keep the original for reference. If you do this you can see where there are any changes and modify as required. Once the route has been calculated on your maps you can download to the device in the usual way.

John
    Still misbehaving.

Will have a go.

Thats a different method to the one I used on the nav5 (I think). It was 2 years ago mind you. I don't remember opening any of the files. Just exporting them in the format they were downloaded in.

When you enter the menu on the nav3 you don't get a window for importing routes/gpx files. That why I am wondering does the nav3 have the capability to import routes.

I shall endeavour with the task but I feel a more modern gps awaits me. Its my birthday next month so that my present sorted.

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by steveC View Post
    Thats a different method to the one I used on the nav5 (I think). It was 2 years ago mind you. I don't remember opening any of the files. Just exporting them in the format they were downloaded in.

When you enter the menu on the nav3 you don't get a window for importing routes/gpx files. That why I am wondering does the nav3 have the capability to import routes.

I shall endeavour with the task but I feel a more modern gps awaits me. Its my birthday next month so that my present sorted.

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.
    You just plug the old thing in using a standard usb lead and you can download the route from Basecamp. This method is better in my opinion than placing it direct into a device because you have the opportunity to check the route and importantly to recalculate it using maps that (hopefully) match those on the device. Yes the device can re calculate for you but if there are problems caused by the different maps you wont know about it until you are out on the road. A bit late then!

John
    Still misbehaving.

I am getting closer, I have base camp downloaded. I have clicked on file and import into..... however when I select the files I have down loaded from the ride magazine I cannot transfer them.

The next step would be click on device then send it the files. Now I have to work out why I cannot transfer the files from my computer into basecamp. The joys of base camp.

ride routes

Don't think BaseCamp is the problem. Sounds like a file issue.

Hi all I had two threads on this subject running. The other one was in computer help. I have managed to achieve my goal. I failed on a pc and thought it was a file issue as iand46 pointed out.
    I then did the same on my MacBook and succeeded first time. Thanks to all.

Problem solved.