G/s prices

peepingtom

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
eBay seems to attract people willing to lay top dollar for the airheads. I get the impression that some of the buyers don't know what they are looking at as the mileages indicated will sometimes be contradicted by the evidence presented in the pictures yet bids seem to trust the mileage as genuine. In this case something listed as a g/s is obviously not a g/s but that won't stop those who don't know that from bidding it up.

I'm quite cynical when I see any bike that's a bitsa or that has had a spray job. In this case I'm thinking an st was written off and dumped in a shed, someone gets their hands on it after 20 years of damp storage and puts a GS frame in it with associated log book but have so little ability that they can't finish it off and their chaotic approach to life in general ( which will be reflected in the bike ) results in repossession or pawn shop getting their hands on it and putting it to eBay.

G/S ?...... hmmmmmm......

ST forks, wheel, headlight, headlight bracket, clocks......
Silencer from a Paralever?.....
German ST's did come with kickstart gearbox, so that's probably correct....
G/S tank tho.....(ST ones have flush fitting cap)......

I recon that this is a ST, but the seller reckons he can get more by calling it a G/S..........
It looks liked a nice ST project, if it cost about £800-£1000 !......

Bubb

Whether it's a G/S or ST doesn't really matter. Whoever is paying that sort of money for this pile of junk is probably thinking they'll dress it up as a G/S and have it back on ebay in a couple of months starting at £5k and no doubt someone will pay £7k for it.

There is one on leboncoin at the moment at €3500 which is cometically a bit rough but at least has 90% of the right bits and it's a runner which in my view makes it a much better prospect.

£200 of powder coating, a respray and a bit of tidying up would see that looking much better.

It's not so many years ago that junking the g/s headlight and forks was considered sensible mods.

Dont think it is too bad for the price. As Rob says, get rid of the blue powdercoat, rattle can and a few transfers for the tank and side panel and you could have a tidy runner.
Must be plenty second hand G/S or GS forks around if that is important too you as everyone seems to be fitting upside down things, and all the headlamp and cowl bits are available again new, if not cheap.
So for around four grand and a bit of work you could have a tidy G/S , and that isn't too bad these days.

all the headlamp and cowl bits are available again new, if not cheap..

I think the only bit that's unavailable is the warning light panel, not the dashboard 'lid', or the PCB but the meat in that sandwich.

I'll probably buy the case and lid new, (Florence, when are you heading back to Siebenrock?) and have a few speedo options, but has anyone got a spare warning light panel to sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom