New NAS recommendation ?

Walowiz

Reaction score
I currently use a Netgear Readynas duo - which has been faultless and easy to use

But need more storage options, more backups, throughput etc, looking at moving to Synology, something like the DS916+ or similar ? As it has a reasonable processor, up to 8gb ram and twin Ethernet IIRC, so should be pretty good performance wise.

Anyone here use Synology - at home or at work - are they reliable , any good ? Any pitfalls to them.

thanks

I currently use a Netgear Readynas duo - which has been faultless and easy to use

But need more storage options, more backups, throughput etc, looking at moving to Synology, something like the DS916+ or similar ? As it has a reasonable processor, up to 8gb ram and twin Ethernet IIRC, so should be pretty good performance wise.

Anyone here use Synology - at home or at work - are they reliable , any good ? Any pitfalls to them.

thanks

Yep
Synology in the office

Had it a couple of years now since the blackarmour that promised so much failed catastrophically

It works well and i would recomend them easy to set up and maintain etc etc

Yep
Synology in the office

Had it a couple of years now since the blackarmour that promised so much failed catastrophically

It works well and i would recomend them easy to set up and maintain etc etc

Thanks redrick :thumb

I've been using a Synology DS213 (2 disk model) at home for about 4 years with no problems. I have it set to switch itself on/off between 06:00 to 24:00 daily. Agree with redrick, it's easy to set up, and updates are also easy and regular.

Bob

Funnily enough I've been looking to replace an aged Netgear Stora. The DS216J is available for £139.99 on Amazon and WD red drives are cheapest from WD direct. The 3TB drives are £99.06 each.

Synology are great use at home and at quite a few clients. Used to use Buffalo, but Synology much much much better! I would always go for twin drive and make sure it has 1-2 usb ports ideally usb3 as you can then slave extra storage on and schedule backups off the device if you wish.

I've been using a DS212j for 4+ years, and it's been entirely trouble free. Synology have a range of apps available FOC too, to create mail servers, cloud backups, Dropbox and Evernote equivalents etc etc. If you like to know that your key data is stored privately on your own server then Synology is unbeatable for home use IMHO.

Ummm..
Am I right in thinking that a NAS unit as above would be the ideal tool to use with a small capacity laptop i.e. One with say a 256gb sSD unit. Could I then save all data to the nas plus my iTunes stuff and wot else?

Correct I'm a computer jumpy with a dead Mac at the moment.. thinking of going to a portable route then plug into a monitor for the 'office ' stuff if need be.

Back
Top Bottom