New Engine !!!

Mowag

Reaction score
Getting a new Engine in my 2015 RT due to BMW warranty regarding paint defects ..
I left bike in to main dealer regarding very small amount of paint defect on rear drive shaft and they inspected bike and told me I had small amount of paint defect on Engine and also condensation in dash where you get digital read out in center ..

Inspected bike on friday and phoned me Saturday to tell me they will be doing all work and replacing Engine with new and all parts through Warranty Bike will be going in tomorrow and ready Friday One week from date of inspection .. Is that service are what !!!:clap

I couldn't sing my dealers praise loud enough Joe Duffy Motorrad, Dublin , Ireland and Patrick in service..:aidan

Last edited:
That is good service. The usual crew will whine about the quality of the paint etc, I'm sure they'd be more annoyed if BMW offered to paint the existing engine, leaving them without a bike for weeks.

That is good service. The usual crew will whine about the quality of the paint etc, I'm sure they'd be more annoyed if BMW offered to paint the existing engine, leaving them without a bike for weeks.

It's a bloody great warranty service that BMW Offer but i can't justify spending the money that a new one costs and would prefer (love) to buy a 2-4 year old bike which unfortunately won't have the coorrosion warranty. I'd hope to keep the bike for 4-5 yrs after purchase but what would the corrosion be like then? :(

I bought my 2009 Guzzi at 2 years old and admittedly it's only done 20000miles (not used it since I bought the Crosstourer) but my Italian Stallion hasn't got even the slightest hint of corrosion on any bolt or any part of it ...... Nor has there been the need to make any claim under warranty. Only a £50 driveshaft bearing failure at 10k to blot its copy book , that and a blown fuse and one blown bulb.

I'm disappointed that I dare not buy another GS, I really am......

It's a bloody great warranty service that BMW Offer but i can't justify spending the money that a new one costs and would prefer (love) to buy a 2-4 year old bike which unfortunately won't have the coorrosion warranty. I'd hope to keep the bike for 4-5 yrs after purchase but what would the corrosion be like then? :(

I bought my 2009 Guzzi at 2 years old and admittedly it's only done 20000miles (not used it since I bought the Crosstourer) but my Italian Stallion hasn't got even the slightest hint of corrosion on any bolt or any part of it ...... Nor has there been the need to make any claim under warranty. Only a £50 driveshaft bearing failure at 10k to blot its copy book , that and a blown fuse and one blown bulb.

I'm disappointed that I dare not buy another GS, I really am......

Not all of them corrode. BMW would be in dire trouble if they did, but I understand your concerns after reading the reports on here. FWIW, and I know people think I'm blinkered, or even lying, but none of my bikes have had the slightest hint of corrosion, so they aren't all that bad.

How the fec can BMW afford to replace all them engines?
Why not just repaint the offending area?

BMW are also replacing engines on bikes that are over 2 years old. Think they are trying to do something about it, apparently the black engine is supposed to be more corrosive resistant. Not sure if that is bull though. As others have stated, not all rust, my 2014 doesn't have any corrosion at all, and I ride all year round.

There's so many leading edges on the GS engine that is polished flat, I wonder if they mask off before painting or just just cut back after painted ! surely if they cut it back this leaves an open wound for salt, harsh cleaning products to creep in and start the corrosion .

Get it sealed with hybridX nano .

They powder coat the parts first and then machine them. I still don't see why the new bikes are afflicted to this degree, I have a 1996 R1100RS which has machined edges on the engine and final drive but it has not got the corrosion and is my winter bike. I am on my second R1200RT (new model) as BMW replaced the first bike due to corrosion issues and my new bike has already had the engine and swing arm replaced due to corrosion. Before people go on about not looking after it etc, the new one has never seen rain, nor road salt and was ACF 50'd from new. It spends winter tucked away in the back of the garage raised off the floor and in one of those bike vac bags. The new RT is a fantastic bike but at times I regret not having kept my 2006 RT which went through 8 winters without problems (and yes, I do look after my bikes)

ACF 50 from new, deep cleaned and ACF again once a year, today panels off, corrosion? top of head to barrel, gearbox end to shaft drive where the rubber gator is fitted. I assume when we are talking corrosion are we talking about white discolouration which is creeping under the silver paint away from sharp machined edges, if so are these the parts BMW are replacing

ACF 50 from new, deep cleaned and ACF again once a year, today panels off, corrosion? top of head to barrel, gearbox end to shaft drive where the rubber gator is fitted. I assume when we are talking corrosion are we talking about white discolouration which is creeping under the silver paint away from sharp machined edges, if so are these the parts BMW are replacing

Were any of your earlier K's or R's as bad, for corrosion?

No, perhaps it's time for plan B, ( but the other bikes I have had where never as good as this one )

I must admit that I do wonder what on earth BMW are playing at. My S1000XR has been through two winters, with NO ACF50 applied, and when cleaned still looks brand new. Yet, their biggest selling bikes are sat outside dealers with corrosion issues.

How the fec can BMW afford to replace all them engines?
Why not just repaint the offending area?

BMW can afford the odd engine because they make them for a fraction of what they sell them for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not just the odd engine, there have been hundreds of them. A UK based dealer told me this at BMW Motorrad days last year and it was before we went to the Beer tent!

It is not just the odd engine, there have been hundreds of them. A UK based dealer told me this at BMW Motorrad days last year and it was before we went to the Beer tent!

Impossible.......Nutty said somewhere in these hallowed pages that (IIRC) there were no more than five replaced.....:comfort

Must just be 3 other people that I know and I then who have had engines replaced, not all RT's a GS in there as well.

Back
Top Bottom