Somewhere between Santander an Pyrenees

nightflight61

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm going with some mates to the Pyrenees in June, and will be staying around the Ainsa/Broto areas. I'm looking for somewhere to stay half way between Santander and our destination. I've done Pamplona before, and found it disappointing. We would also like somewhere smaller (about the size of Potes), but with bars, hotels and restaurants etc. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
A few years ago I stayed in Estella, which was alright but is a bit bigger than Potes. On the trip before that I stayed out on the coast at Zarautz, which I really liked (in a seaside-resort kind of way). That's a bit more of a ride from Ainsa but still easily do-able in a day. Last year I stopped in Tafalla - but arrived pretty late so didn't see any more of it than the hotel restaurant. You need The Spanish Biker to give you the local's view, as he lives out there.

What would I do with my mates between now and the end of next weekend?

I'd put Santander to Ainsa into Google and trace my finger along the line to about halfway. You've tried and didn't like Pamplona, so look at towns / large villages either side. Then Google up their names, to see if anything induces moistness to the groinal area. For example, Lumbier might do. It's got a gorge and eagles, apparently. It also has hotels listed on TripAdvisor and Booking.com.

Look at pictures of places. Try the local area's tourist office websites. In short.... fire up your and your mates' imagination a bit, raise your sights to doing it yourself. You know why you didn't like Pamplona, we don't. It's apparently a one night stop, you'll do it.... with a bit of effort.

Wish I'd seen this before booking Pamplona - doh !

Hey Nightflight61. I too thought Pamplona was crap, people mostly unemployed, cattle running about the streets, bars full of men who like men. Pm me and I'll point you in the right direction.

My only reason for being disappointed with Pamplona was the lack of choice in restaurants. In general, I've found that the smaller towns tend to have a better choice of "proper" Spanish restaurants. Just an observation.

Just street viewed Etella looks beautiful, the NA-718 looks like a nice approach from the north west, I've never been but looks alright.

Ainsa is a great place to stop.
Scenic, bars, restaurants etc.
Great roads all around.

Ainsa is a great place to stop.
Scenic, bars, restaurants etc.
Great roads all around.

He knows that. What he wants is somewhere to stop roughly half way between Santander and Ainsa. That place cannot be Pamplona.

No need to stop in between. Santander to Ainsa is a steady day on good roads. Gives you an option to get over to the Med coast with the day gained.

Many of the posters on here know a great many things, but it still doesn't stop you telling them.

How about Olite or Sos del Rey Catolico - both historic, with decent accomodation - try < www.parador.es/en >

+1 about Sos de Rey but it's a bit of a tourist trap. i'd go for Logroño every time. It's a city but very small, unlike Pamplona, capital of the Rioja wine region, ace tapas bars and beautiful women ...

Not sure why you didn't like Pamplona though, maybe you just don't look hard enough - like many people you have to remember that in Spain places can be dead until 22.00?
Regs

Simon

The Spanish Biker;4617493Not sure why you didn't like Pamplona though said:
Hey Simon, I've been to Pamplona before and did find it fairly quiet, it was early I was with the missis and my son so not looking for bars and wild night at that time.

However I am going in June with a crowd of work colleagues and we will be looking for some nightlife. Could you direct me to the liveliest parts where it will be busy, bars bustling with gorgeous senioritas? :D

+1 about Sos de Rey but it's a bit of a tourist trap. i'd go for Logroño every time. It's a city but very small, unlike Pamplona, capital of the Rioja wine region, ace tapas bars and beautiful women ...

And just south of Logrono is Hotel Bodega Finca de los Arandinos http://www.fincadelosarandinos.com- OK, no small restaurants or bars as it is in it's own vinyard. You probably won't eat better in Spain, at proper English hours and washed down by (their own) great reds. It's very modern and a real gem if you are into Rubikesque advanced Ikea bedrooms ......

With just 140miles to ride to Santander it is neatly placed for the afternoon BF departure, allowing time for unexpected delays etc

This April will be our 10th stay en route to Bierge

Monasteries del Leyre, basic but special
Incredibly inexpensive but opportunity to blow a wad on some seriously good local produced caviar.
Look it up, worth it

And just south of Logrono is Hotel Bodega Finca de los Arandinos http://www.fincadelosarandinos.com- OK, no small restaurants or bars as it is in it's own vinyard. You probably won't eat better in Spain, at proper English hours and washed down by (their own) great reds. It's very modern and a real gem if you are into Rubikesque advanced Ikea bedrooms ......

With just 140miles to ride to Santander it is neatly placed for the afternoon BF departure, allowing time for unexpected delays etc

This April will be our 10th stay en route to Bierge

At €120 for the cheapest room I should hope so! :)

I've stopped for a coffee at the Monasterio del Leyre and it was crawling with [strike]happy clappies[/strike] earnest pilgrims on the Way of St James to Santiago de Compostela - what's the accommodation like in that respect?

Regs

Simon

Back
Top Bottom