Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shipping...

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    Holden EH Special 1964
    I'm tempted to say EJ - simply because of his number plate - which would probably make it 1963...
    We will never be here again - have a good look around

4th February 2017 cont

I meet up with Brian again at 1430 at the Bike Vault - he has some serious toys here...

I settle the (very reasonable) bill for storing my bike since it arrived in December last year, thank him for his help and understanding (he and Burg have been a Godsend over the last couple of days) and then load my luggage onto the Adv. Brian kindly agrees to look after my flight bag until I return at the end of next month...

He then writes out a series of towns to route through as I head south tomorrow - which I promptly leave on his desk as I depart...

I ease the fully laden Adv off the side stand and press the starter - as I leave the Bike Vault behind I feel like the trip is just beginning. I stop for fuel on the way back to the hotel and ride through Saturday traffic...

This is a public holiday weekend - Monday is Waitangi Day, which commemorates the signing of the Waitangi Treaty in 1840 - basically the document that founded New Zealand.

I get back to the hotel around 1600 and start sorting my gear out in my room - I intend to be on the road first thing tomorrow, heading south...

We will never be here again - have a good look around

NZ

Have a safe trip Mike, looking forward to more inspiration from you.

Brilliant!

Have a great trip and I look forward to your ride report!

Mike, no idea what your route south is but the "World's Forgotten Highway" with an overnight halfway at the Whangamamona hotel is a soulful and scenic way to appreciate NZ's early history

You won't see more than a dozen vehicles along it's twists and turns
    Attached Images Attached Images  

had 3 weeks biking there last November, had a great time.

+1 for the forgotten highway, just be careful when going into the tunnel as there is a large pot hole bang in the entrance

there are 2 really cool truck and bike museum in invercargill

see link.
    https://www.transportworld.co.nz/

mike
    Our holiday apartment for rental - tossers especially welcome
    http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p492008

Nice on Mike. Cheesy mentioned you were off again and it's on a trip i'm looking at doing this time next year. Was going to do it this year, but work and an injury put a delay on it. Going by what a mate of mine said t'other day, NZ's experiencing one of it's worst summers on record, so i'm rather glad I didn't make it this year. Hope it doesn't rain too much on you Bud.

Regarding flights, i'm most likely going to use Air New Zealand and fly Premium Economy, due to my 6'6" not wanting to be squeezed into an economy seat. Interestingly, for anyone planning a NZ flight, flying direct with a few hours stop over in LA costs quite a bit more than flying on a multistop ticket. LHR to LAX, have a day or two break, LAX to AUK and the same on the return costs around the same, so breaks the journey up, which might make the flight more tolerable.... or not.

If quitters never win and winners never quit... What idiot came up with 'Quit while you're ahead'??????

Looking forward to this

Quote Originally Posted by Madmountainman View Post
    Nice on Mike. Cheesy mentioned you were off again and it's on a trip i'm looking at doing this time next year. Was going to do it this year, but work and an injury put a delay on it. Going by what a mate of mine said t'other day, NZ's experiencing one of it's worst summers on record, so i'm rather glad I didn't make it this year. Hope it doesn't rain too much on you Bud.

Regarding flights, i'm most likely going to use Air New Zealand and fly Premium Economy, due to my 6'6" not wanting to be squeezed into an economy seat. Interestingly, for anyone planning a NZ flight, flying direct with a few hours stop over in LA costs quite a bit more than flying on a multistop ticket. LHR to LAX, have a day or two break, LAX to AUK and the same on the return costs around the same, so breaks the journey up, which might make the flight more tolerable.... or not.
    Should've said it costs about the same to do the stop over, once you've factored in the extra night(s) accommodation costs. Last time I priced it up, I could fly, take two nights in LA and it saved me £300 on my flight cost by booking a multi-stop ticket, rather than a return.

If quitters never win and winners never quit... What idiot came up with 'Quit while you're ahead'??????

O boy this will be good and up to your usual high standards I bet. Safe travels Mike.

Only just seen this post Mike. It is now on my must look list. Have a great trip, and thanks for taking the time to update us on your progress. The photos are first class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    I'm tempted to say EJ - simply because of his number plate - which would probably make it 1963...
    Hey! I remember this game ....

(Hi Mike. I'm back. Not for long though.... Motofreight to Anchorage in June...)
    "What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money."
    - - - George Leigh Mallory

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Cor blimey Boundless where've you been all this time?
    Any spelling mistakes, punctuation errors or missuse of capitals are intentional and are designed to wind up the doughnuts amongst us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123