Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 31

Thread: Norton Commando

  1. #1
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    547

    Norton Commando

    My 73 Commando coming together after a few years stored under my bench in pieces
    forks and front end will be complete in a couple of weeks that just leaves finding a decent painter for the tank and panels, a rewire and thats about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lancashire , England
    Posts
    1,235
    Looking good and great timing for Spring / early summer

  3. #3
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sunny Scarborough
    Posts
    4,359
    Re 'decent painter'.....Do you know about this gent from this site ??....


    Paint jobs - Please take a look.

  4. #4
    Shep of the Dessert Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lleyn Penninsular
    Posts
    12,554
    Right up my street that is! Well done! Stainless primary adjuster!!! That's dead posh!

    My two, the 750 i've just finished over last summer, and the 850 mk 3 is unrestored mostly bog stock with 7000 miles.

    A man with no boat is a prisoner.
    Faroese proverb

  5. #5
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by steve hughes View Post
    Looking good and great timing for Spring / early summer
    It actually looks better in the flesh so to speak, the flash shows up all the finger prints and smuges.

  6. #6
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Front Row Seat at Freak Show.
    Posts
    28,708
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Right up my street that is! Well done! Stainless primary adjuster!!! That's dead posh!

    My two, the 750 i've just finished over last summer, and the 850 mk 3 is unrestored mostly bog stock with 7000 miles.

    They are lovely bikes Shep

  7. #7
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnie comet View Post
    Re 'decent painter'.....Do you know about this gent from this site ??....


    Paint jobs - Please take a look.
    Forgotten about the sites resident paint genius.

  8. #8
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Right up my street that is! Well done! Stainless primary adjuster!!! That's dead posh!

    My two, the 750 i've just finished over last summer, and the 850 mk 3 is unrestored mostly bog stock with 7000 miles.

    is that a mikuni or a mk2 amal carb.

  9. #9
    Shep of the Dessert Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lleyn Penninsular
    Posts
    12,554
    Mikuni, works well and its a very easy starter, the bike has a few mods done as I bought it as a wrecker with a blown up engine, the original engine was built by Mick Hemmings and was tuned up just a touch too much hence the grenaded engine, so i put it all back to stock (ish) but added a new oil pump and mk 3 timing cover, pazon ignition and single carb, as so much was altered i ended up building my own wiring loom, dead easy, i bought a standard new loom and stripped that to provide the correct colours in the right places, bit of a faff but i'm sure future owners might appreciate the effort.

    What are you going to do with the fiberglass fuel tank, has it survived the ethanol so far?
    A man with no boat is a prisoner.
    Faroese proverb

  10. #10
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Mikuni, works well and its a very easy starter, the bike has a few mods done as I bought it as a wrecker with a blown up engine, the original engine was built by Mick Hemmings and was tuned up just a touch too much hence the grenaded engine, so i put it all back to stock (ish) but added a new oil pump and mk 3 timing cover, pazon ignition and single carb, as so much was altered i ended up building my own wiring loom, dead easy, i bought a standard new loom and stripped that to provide the correct colours in the right places, bit of a faff but i'm sure future owners might appreciate the effort.


    What are you going to do with the fiberglass fuel tank, has it survived the ethanol so far?
    Had a Mikuni on it over 20 years a go, took it off to put on my 850 then succumbed to a very good offer for the 850 and left the mikuni on it
    The Amals on mine are new with the anodised slides and better qulity control so they should be ok and stay intune a longer than the originals, it was a hard descission to stop with the amals.
    Allways built my own wiring looms like you say its dead easy doom so many i dont need a diagram any more, also has Rita ignition.
    The petrol tank is steel so no problems with modern fuels.

    Oh and this particular one ive owned since 1980

  11. #11
    Shep of the Dessert Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lleyn Penninsular
    Posts
    12,554
    Carbs are a personal thing, i never had many issues with twin amals once i'd got rid of the bored out ones I had on my first commando, 32's bored out to 34's didn't leave much meat to hold the fragile slides still!

    The tank fooled me, i thought you could see the glass ones because there was no seam in that little arc around the side panel, live and learn!!

    Good luck with it, i've a few projects on at the moment but once they are done i'll be back on commandos again! 'The devil you know' so they say!
    A man with no boat is a prisoner.
    Faroese proverb

  12. #12
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Newark, England
    Posts
    207
    I've always been a bit of a Norton man, but Commando's are a bit too modern for me

    I bought my '63 650SS as a jigsaw puzzle of a rolling wreck. Bought with the heart and not the head. Everything was totally knackered; - but you only fully discover that when you start the rebuild.

    The bore was +60 and knackered, the crank was -40 and knackered, valves, camshaft, clutch, etc., etc, and Jeremy Corbyn has more spark than the mag had

    Anyway, it now looks how I want it to. It has cost far more than its current value but its been great fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  13. #13
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lancashire , England
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
    I've always been a bit of a Norton man, but Commando's are a bit too modern for me

    I bought my '63 650SS as a jigsaw puzzle of a rolling wreck. Bought with the heart and not the head. Everything was totally knackered; - but you only fully discover that when you start the rebuild.

    The bore was +60 and knackered, the crank was -40 and knackered, valves, camshaft, clutch, etc., etc, and Jeremy Corbyn has more spark than the mag had

    Anyway, it now looks how I want it to. It has cost far more than its current value but its been great fun.
    Porn, pure bike Porn!

  14. #14
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    beverley,england
    Posts
    2,923
    I always wanted to own something along those lines. Sadly, now I could afford it I couldn't ride it.

  15. #15
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by steve hughes View Post
    Porn, pure bike Porn!
    What he says

  16. #16
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kirkliston, Scotland
    Posts
    2,040
    This was at the Bristol Classic Bike Show last weekend . .

    Its not really my kind of bike, but for some reason I just had to keep looking at it .

    What a lovely job :










    A bit 'Off Topic" - apologies .

    Bob.
    The BMW R100GS - Truly Unstoppable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"