Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norton Commando

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
    I've always been a bit of a Norton man, but Commando's are a bit too modern for me

I bought my '63 650SS as a jigsaw puzzle of a rolling wreck. Bought with the heart and not the head. Everything was totally knackered; - but you only fully discover that when you start the rebuild.

The bore was +60 and knackered, the crank was -40 and knackered, valves, camshaft, clutch, etc., etc, and Jeremy Corbyn has more spark than the mag had

Anyway, it now looks how I want it to. It has cost far more than its current value but its been great fun.
    That's lovely

In 1966 I bought a new BSA A65L but deliberated long and hard over a 650SS, but I was a BSA man at heart

The Lightning was a heap of trouble ... should've gone 'Norton'

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    You didn't make the wrong choice Micky. In reality they were all just as bad in those days. It just that now we see them through rose tinted glasses. I had an Atlas in those days; one of the pistons parted company with its gudgeon pin; - that took out the valves; - that took out the rod; - that took out the crankcase; - for a young apprentice that was fecking expensive!!

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Yeah .... tell me about it. The Lightning 'picked up'n one of the cylinders, semi seized, three times. Each time when not really thrashing it, but rather just cruising

I ended up having to get rid, took it back from me for what I owed

Silly thing is that overtime it went in for repair I borrowed the old blokes Lambretta scooter from across the road .... that never missed a beat

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    That's lovely

In 1966 I bought a new BSA A65L but deliberated long and hard over a 650SS, but I was a BSA man at heart

The Lightning was a heap of trouble ... should've gone 'Norton'

I love my Lightning, but they are a heap of trouble until you get them sorted. Especially if you buy a basket case like I did, I had the choice of an A65L or a Commando, but either was going to be a wallet emptying experience... Mines just about done now and its purring like a loud oily kitten... Thinking about it I should have begged borrowed or stole the money and bought both....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I need to give myself a kick up the arse and finish off my MKIIA because I sent the head away to have the exhaust threads sorted out over a year ago and I've yet to put it back on.

It's had a full rebuild but I fitted a pair of MK2 Concentrics and a single K&N air filter but I've never been convinced it was a good idea and might go back to standard and sell the carbs currently sitting in a box in my workshop.

[QUOTE=Shep;4613164]Mikuni, works well and its a very easy starter, the bike has a few mods done as I bought it as a wrecker with a blown up engine, the original engine was built by Mick Hemmings and was tuned up just a touch too much hence the grenaded engine, so i put it all back to stock (ish) but added a new oil pump and mk 3 timing cover, pazon ignition and single carb, as so much was altered i ended up building my own wiring loom, dead easy, i bought a standard new loom and stripped that to provide the correct colours in the right places, bit of a faff but i'm sure future owners might appreciate the effort.

Great looking bikes there buddy
    My fastback is a real pig to start, it has mk1 amals and and old boyer ignition, I think it's time for a new ignition and to choose either the new Amal carbs or a single Mikuni carb

Its getting closer to being finished, tank and panels all painted by a nice man of this parish, hoping to have it finished by the end of this month
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...62#post4685462

Quote Originally Posted by inazone242 View Post
    Its getting closer to being finished, tank and panels all painted by a nice man of this parish, hoping to have it finished by the end of this month
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...62#post4685462
    wow they look mint

The end is in sight

The end is in sight on my rebuild, although of late its been one step forward and two steps back.( the white tape is temp )

That looks really nice.....

Crack on.....the sun is shining.......

The finished item, now just enjoying it but its hard work after 20+ years on a modern bike going back to an old brit

Lovely bike. well done on organising the sunshine to go with it!

Quote Originally Posted by scotboxer View Post
    Lovely bike. well done on organising the sunshine to go with it!
    The sunshine was easy, building a oil tight Norton was a challenge
    l

Quote Originally Posted by inazone242 View Post
    The sunshine was easy, building a oil tight Norton was a challenge
    l
    Nope. THIS is a Challenge ... http://www.odd-bike.com/2013/02/nort...tons-last.html

Thanks for posting that, I'd glanced at it before but have just enjoyed a cuppa and a proper read at it!

Quote Originally Posted by scotboxer View Post
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can! And the wisdom to know the difference!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12