Irish Photo Rally 2017

Was about the Co Down back roads on the bike on Wednesday last week - no shortage of muck thereabouts.
Regarding GPS coordinates, they are not infallible, nor am I - hopefully next year sites adjacent to friendly golfers will be selected :aidan

Only an observation Gerry, not a criticism.
If it was all plain sailing there would be no fun in it.

Thanks again :thumb

What is the email address please Tadhg?

Hi Aidan,

I sent the email address to you in a PM. I don't post it publicly, where spam bots will find it. Anyone with suggestions etc can contact me through the contact page of the website. That emails me directly, to which I'll reply. For anyone on the mailing list, the email address is the one I send out the updates from.

Tim

Finished at bleedin last.

Two days on the road and I got the last 4 points. :beerjug: I got lucky with the weather, not much rain apart from yesterday morning going over Molls Gap. Back roads covered in cow crap, crud and wet leaves. Oh the joy. I only had to go through one section of flooded road. Luckily it wasn't too deep and I got to watch a couple of cars first to spot the shallow end.

Now all I have to do is upload to the website (and pay me money!) Many thanks to all the organizers, you must be nutters the lot of ye.

Attachments

• 15 Limerick1.jpg
    15 Limerick1.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 16 Tipperary1.jpg
    16 Tipperary1.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 18 Cork1.jpg
    18 Cork1.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 19 Kerry1.jpg
    19 Kerry1.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 184
Good stuff, nice to be finished

Hi all,

There's just two weeks left until the awards presentation night and the launch of Irish Photo Rally 2018. This will take place on Saturday, 3rd of February 2018 in the Hodson Bay Hotel near Athlone.

We won't be posting albums/badges to people this year, so if you can't attend that weekend, please arrange to have yours collected by someone who is attending. Any albums not collected will be disposed of.

For members who also took part in the BMW Club Ulster Section Photographic Rally in 2017, your entry can be collected along with your Irish Photo Rally badge/album if you haven't already done so. We won't be posting these out either, so any not collected over the weekend will also be disposed of.

As always, the culmination of the night will be the launch of the new Irish Photo Rally year and the release of the list of points for 2018. The list of points for 2018 will be available on the map page of the website from midnight on the 3rd/4th of February.

We're looking forward to seeing you in Athlone for a weekend of craic and banter.

Tim and crew.

Good afternoon Participants,

At an extraordinary general meeting of the Irish Photo Rally cabinet in the early hours of this morning, it was decided to retract our previous decree that we would not post uncollected badges, as it has caused stress and consternation throughout the Irish Photo Rally community.

I did not explain myself properly in my previous communication. The reason we had made the decision was to reduce the workload of the Irish Photo Rally crew - the cost of postage was not a factor. The crew is a very small number of dedicated volunteers who are not remunerated in any way for their work. The reward for the work is the enjoyment of running the Irish Photo Rally.

Irish Photo Rally has grown immensely since its re-inception in 2003. There were approximately 30 participants in 2003 and 226 in 2017, peaking in 2015 with 243 taking part. While there has been a slight lull recently, we are anticipating further growth in the coming years, especially since it went digital. To ensure the sustainability of Irish Photo Rally, we are preparing for this increase in numbers. Part of that preparation is the automation of as many tasks as possible (let the servers do the work, rather than the crew) and removing/reducing tasks that can only be completed manually (e.g posting albums). However, we may have been over-zealous in this regard.

As I mentioned, the cost of postage did not influence our decision - Irish Photo Rally does not make a profit. We aim to break even each year and set the entry fee accordingly (our policy being that if we don't have profit, we can't argue about spending it). If perchance our income slightly exceeds our expenditure in any given year, we donate any excess to charity. It is also worth mentioning that there are one or two participants that provide us with goods or services free, or at cost price, and will not accept recognition or publicity for same. This also helps us to keep the entry fee at a measly €10 per person.

To reiterate, we will be posting badges to anyone who cannot collect them at the awards presentation weekend, but we will not be posting albums. Putting a badge into an envelope, writing the address and putting a stamp on it is a manageable amount of work; packaging albums of various shapes and sizes with bubble-wrap, wrapping paper, stables and sellotape is not.

I have been contacted by the BMW Club Ulster section to say that they will be returning uncollected entries to participants, as normal - I misunderstood their intention when we discussed the matter earlier in the year.

Having said that, if anyone cannot attend the awards weekend, we would urge them to help us reduce our workload by having their badge collected by a friend, family member or enemy.

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation,

Tim and crew.

Back
Top Bottom