The Next Best Bike in The World Ever......Thread :-)

Was the insulating jacket a retrofit item, comes as part of the manifold (like the GT), or come as standard?

You just buy the rear manifold off the SA to replace the 1190 rear manifold - relatively easy to swap over - cost £70'sh.

Just had the heat deflectors and manifold fitted. Spent the weekend riding in 25c to 30c in the Ardenne. No heat issues any more.

SHOULD BE STANDARD Mr KTM :rob

Obviously OK for the 1190 - not sure if it would fit the 2017 1290 models, although cannot imagine there would be much difference in fit as the other exhaust part it fits is the same part.

Original 1190 part number 60305008000, superseded by 60405008000
2017 1290 part number 60305008100

Same here - fitting the insulated header made the difference for me ;)

It's on the list, I just need to pull my finger out and fit one ~ it worries me that the shock must get sooooo hot and I don't suppose the Wings panels help matters. I've 'foiled' under the ECU so at least that runs cooler than standard :)
I've also noticed how quickly the brake fluid changes colour in the rear reservoir; I reckon that must get cooked right proper.

Andres

Just think what it's doing to your sperm count Andres ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some interesting independent dyno runs from Motorrad magazine. These are RWHP figures. To save looking it up, 103.5kW is 138.80bhp.

The lines don't seem as messy as the ones a few pages back. :augie

Attachments

• IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 230
Flip - the GS looks like it wouldn't pull the cap off your head :D

Some interesting independent dyno runs from Motorrad magazine. These are RWHP figures. To save looking it up, 103.5kW is 138.80bhp.

The lines don't seem as messy as the ones a few pages back. :augie

Spot on the same as my 1190 :D

Given they presumably tested 'press' bikes then it's highly likely all the bikes had been remapped............note the absence of dips at what would be 4-5000rpm for emissions/sound regs...........

Smoothness of lines can be down to many factors including something as simple as compression of the x axis let alone how the runs are set up on the dyno. In this case the x axis is speed rather than the more usual rpm.

Andres

Same here - fitting the insulated header made the difference for me ;)

Should be fitted as standard :rob
on the 1290 they have now fitted an extra piece of plastic trim at the base of the top tank panel which is also insulated with the foil to help stop the heat reaching the seat.

Attachments

• IMG_3047.jpg
    IMG_3047.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 491
Given they presumably tested 'press' bikes then it's highly likely all the bikes had been remapped............note the absence of dips at what would be 4-5000rpm for emissions/sound regs...........

Smoothness of lines can be down to many factors including something as simple as compression of the x axis let alone how the runs are set up on the dyno. In this case the x axis is speed rather than the more usual rpm.

Andres

No manufacturer is going to dish out a shoddy test bike, I am sure some "optimising" goes on with all of them.

From where the peak is on the 1290 you can sort of work out the revs, it seems for anyone that never goes above about 7,000rpm they all produce the same power :thumb2 Except the Ducati that has a huge dip - maybe they forgot to remap it :blast Or they are just that crap in the mid range anyway :nenau

The dyno still never gives any idea of throttle response / part throttle feel and gearing also really affects the feel of the power and the real world delivery so the numbers are only half the story at best (as Giles book on the subject he posted here a while back explains) but it is still half the story, and the KTM kicks arse, the Triumph also looks quite impressive.

on the 1290 they have now fitted an extra piece of plastic trim at the base of the top tank panel which is also insulated with the foil to help stop the heat reaching the seat.

That looks good and far neater than my extra foil matting.......... Interestingly, whilst I've run the matting under my ECU in an attempt to keep the heat away from it they have run the shield over the top of it trapping in the heat?

Andres

I've just thought of something..................

What they could do is take the cylinder heads.....split them such that they're opposite each other and extend so they're out the side of the bike and not under the seat. Then run the exhausts in front, then under the bike, to keep the heat away from the riders seat! The engine would keep your toes warm in winter too. Think I'm onta something here....patent pending......patent pending......patent pending...... No...hold on, I'm too late, someone invented this 100 years ago :blast

Attachments

• boxer.jpg
    boxer.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 365
Interestingly, whilst I've run the matting under my ECU in an attempt to keep the heat away from it they have run the shield over the top of it trapping in the heat?

Andres
so it proberly doesn't matter then that the ecu gets hot....

Back
Top Bottom