Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Devices

Through life Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Surely with a GS it's a lot easier to remove and replace the rear wheel than it is the front
    Not if you put the chain through the wheel hub
    Who took my muscles and turned them into jelly.
    Took them from my arms and wrapped them around my belly

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtwin View Post
    ...if trackers reduce insurers costs (through recovery of vehicles rather than total loss) then this will feed through to their customers and should result in reduced premiums.
    Naive.

IMO, the optimal system to address theft involves multiple elements:

1. Hide or disguise the bike to reduce the scumbag's knowledge of your bike - garage, shed, back garden, tatty cover.

2. Secure it to something solid to make it as difficult as possible to move it, even if parked out of sight - use decent chains & locks; the more devices securing the bike, the more difficult.

3. Make it difficult to manoeuvre - steering lock, disc locks, U-locks, park up tight to a wall and/or park your car up tight to the bike.

4. Use some means of detection - alarm, tape down the horn button, alarmed lock, CCTV.

5. Use some means of immobilisation - immobilisor, DIY-wired hidden kill switch.

6. Use some means of tracking - maybe consider using primary device and a second basic device.

7. Have decent insurance.

Most important is to give a shit. The bike with the above will almost certainly be passed over for the bike parked uncovered on a public street with just the steering lock used.

Good work OP - the world of trackers seems to be a bit of a murky quagmire; very hard to tell what's what. And I like to know about what I'm looking at, rather than trusting sales blurb or people.

Quote Originally Posted by Marks adventure View Post
    Not if you put the chain through the wheel hub
    Oh yeah , good point well made
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

I 'Follow' BikeTrac on Facebook and the amount and frequency of thefts is pretty staggering, the GS seems to be the bike of choice but locations of thefts mainly London & the south. Some bikes even reported as getting stolen and recovered more than once in 24hrs !!

BikeTrac obviously only report on recovered vehicles and no mention is made of unrecovered vehicles if any.

Well I think I'm going to go for an Oxford jobbie and squirrel it away somewhere inaccessible.
    Anyone fitted one and have any comments on usability?
    17 BMW 1200 GSA
    99 Honda Deauville 650 Winter Hack

Quote Originally Posted by bigtwin View Post
    Short term there is little immediate (financial) benefit in fitting a tracker. HOWEVER, if trackers reduce insurers costs (through recovery of vehicles rather than total loss) then this will feed through to their customers and should result in reduced premiums.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusMC View Post
    Naive.
    Your points for avoiding theft are well made and widely accepted. Trackers address the issue of the cost of theft.

To believe that there is no relationship between the costs incurred by insurers and the premiums charged to customers, now that is naivety!

Trust me insurance rates wouldn't drop if every bike had tracker fitted.

do they all need a sim to run? can you buy a simm that does not require a monthly top up? cheapest sim deal ive found is giffgaf £5 a month

That's a data allowance from Gigggaff, you don't need a monthly allowance. Get a free Giffgaff SIM, put £10 on it (not a Goodybag just cash ballance) and it will lat months.
    Out on the floor - K.T.F.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    That's a data allowance from Gigggaff, you don't need a monthly allowance. Get a free Giffgaff SIM, put £10 on it (not a Goodybag just cash ballance) and it will lat months.
    just been on giffgaff and the cheapest sim only is £5 monthly could you put up a link to it ?

Just order a free SIM. Set up an account and add £10 funds.

On that page it asks you to chose a plan, but at the bottom it says "No thanks, I just want a free SIM".
    Click on this and you'll get a free SIM card.
    When you get it activate the card and just add funds to the SIM, the minimum is £10.
    When you have topped up the card you are charged at
    5p per text
    until the £10 runs out.

Note - I am only talking about this sort of tracker where it communicates via text messages. You text it to arm it ( I have a movement alarm set) and you text it to ask where it is. It replies by texting you back.
    Out on the floor - K.T.F.

cheers for that..thats the trackers i have

Resurrecting this thread: I'm considering installing BikeTrac on one of my bikes that spends a lot of time parked outside at night.

Anyone has first hand experience, idea of the installation costs, issues with the bike's battery?
    It's a 2007 GSA.

Can I set up some sort of geofence at night and be notified (phone call) if the bike is moved?
    Bike is fully insured, I keep it well chained, etc... fact is, I am really attached to that particular bike. So I hope the tracker might help recover it if it ever gets stolen for a joyride, etc.

thanks in advance for any feedback
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike] [flickr]

SIM's get cancelled

Just be aware that most of the phone network operators cancel a SIM card if it is not used for three months. I am pretty sure that Giff Gaff is one of the exceptions - but I haven't checked for a few years.

My problem with Giff Gaff is it doesn't work where I live so it couldn't notify me if anyone tampered with or moved the bike!

If you watched the "Biketrac" type Tracking Devices recovery video that was aired on BBC I think,you will note it still needs a man on the ground with a radio antenna to actually track the vehicle down when within a few hundered yards.Note also some devices work by GPS some by Telecom tower ranging,some FR signal and some all three and if hidden in a steel container all tracking is lost.
    As to expense Id say a good lock,chain and anchor point are more adept and cost effective at keeping a bike safe than a tracker which is after all for after the event not to prevent it.

There are similar devices that fit to bicycles in the upright tube under the seat or handlebars availalbe on the crowd funding site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgVEyBmIRgs

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...s-bike-smart#/

Quote Originally Posted by er-minio View Post
    Resurrecting this thread: I'm considering installing BikeTrac on one of my bikes that spends a lot of time parked outside at night.

Anyone has first hand experience, idea of the installation costs, issues with the bike's battery?
    It's a 2007 GSA.

Can I set up some sort of geofence at night and be notified (phone call) if the bike is moved?
    Bike is fully insured, I keep it well chained, etc... fact is, I am really attached to that particular bike. So I hope the tracker might help recover it if it ever gets stolen for a joyride, etc.

thanks in advance for any feedback
    Can't remember what I paid for the BikeTrac unit itself but fitting was about £100 at my local BMW dealer. No problems with battery, in fact the iPhone or web app display the bikes battery voltage. If the bike battery goes flat the unit has a built in supply. You can set up a geofence, but mine is set to notify me if the bike is moved with ignition switched off. Not long after having it fitted I wheeled the bike out of the garage to test it, I was expecting to get a text message but had only gone 20ft or so when I was actually called from the operations centre.

It's very reassuring to have an actual person monitoring the other end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast