LED bulbs

I find the main beam is set too low compared to the dip beam. To get good distance on main beam the dip is dazzling the whole county.
I fitted a pair of narrow beam LED spots in place of the OEM aux headlights. The bike already has more than enough foreground light. It needs more distance which the new spots deliver.
The beams are narrow enough to light around a dual carriageway RH curve without dazzling oncoming traffic. Left hand curves, of course, the opposite is true.

Sent somehow.

You can see the loom plugged into one end the the H7 end is the big blob of insulation tape under the speedo.

d9a1730dc10225f17ea38950ab0382b9.jpg

Oneplus 2 = my phone

I find the main beam is set too low compared to the dip beam. To get good distance on main beam the dip is dazzling the whole county.
I fitted a pair of narrow beam LED spots in place of the OEM aux headlights. The bike already has more than enough foreground light. It needs more distance which the new spots deliver.
The beams are narrow enough to light around a dual carriageway RH curve without dazzling oncoming traffic. Left hand curves, of course, the opposite is true.

Sent somehow.
Funnily enough, I'm in the middle of the exact same thing now. But I further complicated it by buying some cheap U7 Chinese LED spots with angel eyes around them.
So I'll be running 2 relays (spots plus angel eyes) to power them.
Angel eyes will be switched with a trigger wire off dip beam which I built into my patch lead and spots from a handlebar switch.

This is my first on bike wiring test, the joints will be soldered later.
And note the very expensive waterproof box for the relays

74bb96e100c8811909db105a34c85e13.jpg

Oneplus 2 = my phone

My main beam relay is under the fuel tank appearance cover. Not bothered with a fancy box. The LED wires are often extremely thin fold them back and solder to fatten the wire before crimping the connectors.
My headlight driver blocks are cable tied to the beak underframe with the LED bulb connector towards the front.

Sent somehow.

Ive just seen the You tube vid for the Cyclops Leds.

They must be small energiser units, they managed to get them inside the lens housing !

mart

I got so used to the HID-50s doing it I never thought about it. But the LEDs have performed perfectly so either it's a feature or maybe it's a canbus pulse.

Sent somehow.

Pulse could be to do with (energizer) !! box ?
Not sure if it is a ballast ??
I have the Horizon 4th generation H7 Led`s which do not have a "box". The feed is connected straight to the led`s and no pulse on ignition switch on.

Yes they are the ones, fitted them December 2015, no problems, had HID`s before but were discoloring / scorching the reflector, so went for these led`s.
No extra boxes to site.
photo of installation on #48.

Yes they are the ones, fitted them December 2015, no problems, had HID`s before but were discoloring / scorching the reflector, so went for these led`s.
No extra boxes to site.
photo of installation on #48.

many thanks for the swift response - just ordered these with a 15% code valid today only so £106
will also get the gromets from the ebay link you posted

much appreciated

Be very careful with the reflector adjustment fittings. Its all to easy to pop the reflector off especially the tilt (middle back of headlight body). Its then a total **** to re attach.

I went for a soft membrane with a marigold glove but next time it's off I will use a nitrile glove - longer lasting. The rubber grommets I found were all to fit over a spigot/flange, but the back of the headlight is flush with just the bayonet slots to take the covers. Thin flexible sheet can be trapped under the bayonet.

Lol...bulb envy?

Here you go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272373346825

As with all Chinese listings u pays ur money u takes ur chance.
Depending on where u look in the listing they are 80 watts then 160 watts....4000 lumens then 8000 lumens...
All I looked for was Philips Lumiled chips, which I believe are rated at 5w each and there are 8 on each bulb.
And bare in mind I haven't plugged them in yet either!

BTW, I'm gonna put some CPU thermal compound on the heatsink thread to help it conduct heat better.

Oneplus 2 = my phone
I got these today, I am just waiting on the other bits to arrive to fit them correctly.
I did try and fit them just to see how they go together. The bulb does not really fit very well to be honest. I think mine will require a bit of grinding. The diameter of the hole inside the reflector is very tight against this shoulder on the bulb. Are you getting this?
bulb.jpg

led1.jpg

led2.jpg

I got these today, I am just waiting on the other bits to arrive to fit them correctly.
I did try and fit them just to see how they go together. The bulb does not really fit very well to be honest. I think mine will require a bit of grinding. The diameter of the hole inside the reflector is very tight against this shoulder on the bulb. Are you getting this?
bulb.jpg

led1.jpg

led2.jpg
Yep, I had to file the edges of the tabs down. Also the reflector aperture was a bit distorted from the heat of the original halogens, which didn't help.

Oneplus 2 = my phone

My LED bulbs fitted the reflector no problem. The spring clip is tighter needing pointed pliers to fit / remove the spring.

Sent somehow.

Is it safe to zip tie wire to oil line up the front of the engine? I have no idea how hot these get!

Oneplus 2 = my phone

Thanks to Mistacat......

I have copied his installation using the Horizon LEDS's with out the extra ballast boxes - £112 a pair
http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/exteri...lights-headlamps/h7-cree-led-headlight-kit-g4

Don't think i will bother to heat sleeve the connectors - just pack some contact grease into them
I found it easier to get the grommet to fit snug having the wiring on the outside.
I didn't have a 16mm punch for the grommet to make the hole but a piece of 15mm copper pipe freshly pipe sliced then given a good smack did the trick :thumb

In engineering technical terms - they are bright as fuck compared to the original H7 Halogens !

Back
Top Bottom