Toll booth parking

Aidan1150

Nice but unfortunate husband.
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Spotted this today on the northbound M1 toll at Drogheda.

20170213_140229.jpg

The green Hi-ace van is towing a trailer with the little truck on it but discovered when he braked that the load was heavier than his van resulting in him jack knifing in the toll lane. You can see that he ended up on top of the concrete lane divider. I'd say that the RSA had great fun with this one and that the van driver will have a hefty bill coming his way. :eek:

20170213_140244.jpg

If that was me I'd be wanting to get out of there asap. I doubt that van should be pulling that load in the first place. Whatever about our wonderful boys in blue the RSA would throw the book at him. I'd hazard a guess at 1/ no daily fault sheet. JJH

What's the craic with the silver Landcruiser...............is it trying to tow the little van off the trailer????

I'd say the trailer's brakes were faulty or the reverse latch on the hitch left on.
Van that size should be able to tow around 2 tons?

The van might be able to tow two tonnes, but I don't think the driver could. 😏
Vans are very light at the back. Even harsh braking without a trailer will cause a van to step out at the back.

That trailer will weigh about 900kg empty. I was amazed at how much they weigh when I first towed one. The truck on top of that would make a hefty payload. If the GVW (note: it's the GVW, not the actual weight that counts here) of the trailer exceeds the towing capacity of the van, that's another big mark against him. He probably doesn't have a BE licence either, which mean he's not insured. All-in-all, a bad day out for him. 😬

I'd say weight. Trailer and load far outweighs the safe towing capacity of the van. JJH

I'd say weight. Trailer and load far outweighs the safe towing capacity of the van. JJH

Yep - The towed weight far exceeded the tow vehicle and therefore dictated the direction of travel (or in this case, the reluctance to stop).

Back
Top Bottom