Wanaka

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
20th February 2017

I sleep well, and wake latish, so quickly shower and get kitted up then start reloading the bike. When I unpack for a couple of days, the room looks like I've just thrown stuff arbitrarily around. Of course, this is not what I've done...
rolleyes.gif

The day is bright, but with a high overcast. My plan is to ride south to Bluff, to see if I can see Stewart Island, then double back and ride north west to Te Anau, a road which takes me alongside the Hunter Mountains, before heading up to Queenstown again, and finishing at Wanaka, where I have an apartment booked for this evening.

I say thanks to the girls who have serviced the room for me - it's a thankless task, but they've been a really good laugh and have been genuinely interested in what I am doing - they wish me well and a safe journey - and I know they mean it...
thumb2.gif

IMG_2523-X3.jpg

I set of at just after 0910 and initially Bettie steers me towards the centre of town, then turns me left towards Bluff...

IMG_2524-X3.jpg

As soon as I see the horizon ahead I know this isn't going to be a good idea. There is clearly a fog bank offshore again, so there'll be no point heading in that direction. I remove the waypoint from Bettie on the hoof and she recalculates me a route towards Te Anau...

IMG_2525-X3.jpg

This is the second time I've seen a tractor configured like this - with a twin wheel on one side - anyone know what purpose this serves?

IMG_2526-X3.jpg

Traffic is light, the bike's going well and it's about 62°F. It's cloudy, but I'm riding a motorbike in New Zealand rather than commuting in to work in the UK in February.

Life's not so bad...
biggrin.gif

IMG_2527-X3.jpg

I've not eaten breakfast, as I had rather a splendid pizza last night (from a firm called Hell Pizza) and am still not hungry...

IMG_2531-X3.jpg

I find myself a 'speed buddy' for a while. This is a term I've coined for a motorist who's travelling at roughly the speed I want to cruise at. I let him use his cruise control, or watch his speed, and all I have to do is keep a safe distance behind him - it works well...

IMG_2537-X3.jpg

The weather is starting to clear as the day warms up - Queenstown is forecast to be warm and sunny today, as is Wanaka. The cold mist to the south and west, with its associated cloud cover is starting to dissipate...

IMG_2538-X3.jpg

It's warming up, too - about 74°F and climbing steadily - it's turning into the day the forecasters predicted...

IMG_2545-X3.jpg

There's a faint mist bluing the mountains to my right, and the smell of blossom in the air. I spend a lot of time with my visor open (except when I'm taking a picture - nobody wants to see that)....

IMG_2546-X3.jpg

Traffic is scarce up here and I have no speed buddy, so I tightened the friction nut on my throttle lock, as this helps to moderate my speed whilst I'm spending time gawking at the scenery...

IMG_2550-X3.jpg

I can thoroughly recommend this road - it's part of the 'Southern Scenic Route' and it lives up to its name...

IMG_2554-X3.jpg

At the base of the valley...

IMG_2565-X3.jpg

...is the machinery for the Manapouri Power Scheme. This was apparently a world first - hydroelectric power generated by rivers and lakes at their normal levels...

IMG_2566-X3.jpg

At about 1115, I ride into Manapouri, where I fill the bike up with 95 Octane, then notice this old girl...

IMG_2573-X3.jpg

When did you last see one of those on the roads in the UK?

IMG_2572-X3.jpg

Why would you keep such a POS on the road?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Anyway - breakfast...

IMG_2575-X3.jpg

Super breakfast - rubbish coffee, but when you have this view out of the window...

IMG_2584-X3.jpg

...then people aren't really coming for the coffee, are they?

I walk out into the now warm day and spot this beautiful old girl parked across the road from the cafe...

IMG_2577-X3.jpg

I mean, as two different ends of the British motor industry - have another look at the Montego...

IMG_2579-X3.jpg

I later see a silver haired couple get in and drive off - what a spectacular way to see New Zealand...

IMG_2580-X3.jpg

The only thing that jarred a bit was, well - the stickers...

IMG_2576-X3.jpg

What would possess someone to do this?
eek7.gif

IMG_2578-X3.jpg

Hey-ho - to each his own...

IMG_2586-X3.jpg

I head north to Te Anau...

IMG_2600-X3.jpg

...and then turn east on the 94 and 97 towards the Queenstown road...

IMG_2601-X3.jpg

My speed buddy is getting an overtake in here - had to be very careful catching him up, as he was cruising at about 106kph...
tongue.gif

IMG_2602-X3.jpg

There he is, in the distance...

IMG_2610-X3.jpg

It has turned into a glorious day, with temperatures in the low 80s and just a few mares’ tails of cloud in the sky...

At Five Rivers, I turn left onto Highway 6, the Queenstown road. I'm passing a picnic area to my right when I spot...

IMG_2612-X3.jpg

...this old gent, still being used as a daily driver - any guesses?

IMG_2613-X3.jpg

Onward!

IMG_2624-X3.jpg

Pretty soon I'm at the south of Lake Wanaka again, heading up the east shore...

IMG_2642-X3.jpg

I don't think I'd ever get bored of riding this route...

IMG_2643-X3.jpg

I take a breather and listen to the silence for a bit...

IMG_2678-X3.jpg

Just the odd passing camper van breaks the quiet - that and the tick and clink of the Adv's engine cooling a little...

IMG_2670-X3.jpg

OK - time for the final leg...

IMG_2688-X3.jpg

I'm through the outskirts of Queenstown surprisingly quickly and Bettie steers me sharp left up the mountain road to Wanaka...

IMG_2697-X3.jpg

...and up through a series of switchbacks that keep the Adv's engine and gearbox busy...

IMG_2707-X3.jpg

The views of the valley floor are stunning...

IMG_2712-X3.jpg

Very few riders about today...

IMG_2715-X3.jpg

I keep having to check my speed...
tongue.gif

IMG_2719-X3.jpg

Remember this car? No guesses?

IMG_2720-X3.jpg

I'm soon passing the fence of bras and closing on Wanaka...

IMG_2725-X3.jpg

Where I arrive at reception and am given the remote door opener to the garage for my apartment...

IMG_2728-X3.jpg

What a lovely apartment!

IMG_2729-X3.jpg

I feel like moving in...

IMG_2731-X3.jpg

I pop into town and get something to eat and fill the bike up with fuel. Cathy, the very kind receptionist, lets me have three extra internet access cards that still have some bandwidth available on them (you are restricted to 1Gb, and that doesn't even come close to my needs for a daily report) - I manage to eke out the usage and eventually get everything uploaded by 2000 (I started at 1530).

Good day...

IMG_2582-X3.jpg

Great report as ever Mike :thumby:

The cars.......the POS as you put it, a friend of mine used to refer to owners of such cars as Montegites, I wonder what they drive now?
Beautiful Jaguar XK120 DHC a fine way to tour indeed, the stickers? What possesses people to do such a thing? ;)
The Black car; 56 Chevy Nomad at a guess.

Brilliant! :thumb2

What sort of price are the hotel rooms over there mike? The last apartment is huge and a bonus garage too!:clap

Tractor with the wheel - it's for stability on side slopes - the arm on the right is a mower which folds down and cuts on the right hand side only, so in order not to run crop over the machine can only work in bouts instead of up and down. It then cannot have a dual wheel on the right as it will run the uncut crop down before the mower will get to it.

This is the second time I've seen a tractor configured like this - with a twin wheel on one side - anyone know what purpose this serves?

Lost his r/h wheel? :D

My brother had a Montego saloon. What a tank. Where are they all now? Probably scrapped at the first possible opportunity.

Must be really odd, being in a foreign land, but driving on the left hand side.

Great day Mike. Still following with interest. :thumb2

Why does the Jag driver have stickers on his car? Probably for the same reason that many GS riders have their panniers and top boxes plastered with trip stickers: so that Joe Public can see what adventures the rider/driver has been on and marvel at the derring do!

Why does the Jag driver have stickers on his car? Probably for the same reason that many GS riders have their panniers and top boxes plastered with trip stickers: so that Joe Public can see what adventures the rider/driver has been on and marvel at the derring do!

I've just looked him up on the web (Phillip and Yvonne Haslam) and I'd say they've earned the right to put as many stickers where they like !

the montego is a pre 88 non facelift [/nerd]

we had a two tone 89 (the one russ swift drives in the ad)

i had an mg maestro with a montego front end about 15 years ago :D

friend runs a diesel estate lowered in gulf colours :D

Woosh!

I've just looked him up on the web (Phillip and Yvonne Haslam) and I'd say they've earned the right to put as many stickers where they like !

Woosh!

Am I the only person who read "Wanka" for the title of this thread :D....I know juvenile!

Really enjoying these updates, I'd love to tour NZ, one day.

Well storm Doris has arrived here in blighty this morning, 70mph winds and torrential rain forecast ..........This thread and its fantastic

photo's cheered me up no end :clap

Many thanks for posting :beerjug:

If anybody finds themselves in Wanaka with an evening to spare the small cinema is worth hunting out. None of your regimented seating here, just comfy old sofas. There even used to be a soft top Moggy Thou too and when we first went (2006?) the film had a 10 minute interval - plenty of time to scoff the freshly baked cookies ordered on buying the tickets... I think both the interval and Moggy have both gone now but it can be a pleasant way to spend a few hours and the cafe still does good food

the montego is a pre 88 non facelift [/nerd]

we had a two tone 89 (the one russ swift drives in the ad)

i had an mg maestro with a montego front end about 15 years ago :D

friend runs a diesel estate lowered in gulf colours :D

I had an ‘88 Montego Vanden Plas Estate Auto around 1992.... the POS got us all to La Rochelle for a Keyhamp holiday ( 3 young kids in the back ...) and got us home again

And our MG Metro got us to Cannes and back ( 3 kids under 4 in the back )

Happy days :)

I had an ‘88 Montego Vanden Plas Estate Auto around 1992.... the POS got us all to La Rochelle for a Keyhamp holiday ( 3 young kids in the back ...) and got us home again

And our MG Metro got us to Cannes and back ( 3 kids under 4 in the back )

Happy days :)

Not sure the kids would agree with that sentiment :D:beerjug:

TIGERMOTH FLIGHT

Recommend a Tigermoth flight with light aerobatics and stunning views, they even have a gopro mount on the wing for you.
Book at tourist info in town or ride out to airport.
warbird flights there to but mega expensive.

Back
Top Bottom