Rear Subframe Corrosion

I started a similar thread about rusting bike. I think it's understandable that seasonal riders don't suffer these problems and some no doubt always assume that when a member has problems it is because they leave salt on the bike. I've had four BMW bikes and each one always gets rinsed very well after every single ride. Previous bikes were fine and I haven't changed cleaning process. Latest bike is less than five months old and rusting like mad on wheels, spokes discs, torx bolts, exhaust bracket etc etc.
Maybe frame will be next. And at the price they charge it's simply not acceptable.

I popped into Vines this morning, they took some pics and said they would contact BMW about it. First question was 'what do you wash it with' so i presume there are some cleaning products that shouldn't be used (where's that specified?) he mentioned Muc Off as one. I just use a car plan shampoo and sponge personally so its definitely not that. The worrying part is there are definitely some corrosion spots on the main frame. If BMW can / will replace these parts, I will schedule it in come Spring time.

Ive had a lot of bikes over my 37 years, one was a Triumph Daytona which was ridden all year i did 4 winters on it and then sold it with 65,000 miles on it. It still looked like a year old bike.
My current GSA 2016 has 20,000 miles on it and it's still in good condition but with signs of corrosion on the discs and spoke tx heads.
I do wonder what it will look like after 65K and another few winters.

I think the build quality of the BMW range has deteriated so much people will be switching brands, I for one will be looking at a Different brand possibly a Triumph.
It's a shame because I can't fault the bike in its handling or equipment levels.

But like most are saying 16 + grand is a lot of money for a bike and you should expect to be getting the best quality available.

Terry

That is pretty shocking for a 14 month old bike. Part of the reason I justified spending so much on my GSA compared to any other bike I've owned was that I thought it'd be well screwed together and not built on the cheap. Surely BMW realise people are buying these bikes to ride them all year round.

Has anyone else noticed corrosion on their rear subframe? My bike is a December 2015, so only 14 months old. Its the second winter i've ridden it through and i clean it weekly as well as i can, but there are spots of corrosion appearing on the rear subframe, The paint looks really thin. The swing arm is starting to bubble at the gasket too. The rear brake lever and centre stand are corroded to hell too!

And if you have a good look at the front sub-frame you will probably find that it's also the same :augie

My mate had his 15my GSA that was purchased Sept 14 replaced with a new bike after 6000 miles when (and to be perfectly blunt) it started to resemble a boat anchor :eek:

His bike had been ACF50'd from day one and ridden a couple of times in the rain

The paint on the sub-frames and stands has no primer underneath it and the whisper thin coating is magnetically charged in a similar way to powder coating

He also had corrosion to his discs and engine so BMW got him on to a new bike to which both he and the dealer made a contribution :thumby:

There is lots of this sort of corrosion on bikes that have been ridden through winter and not taken care of.

Can I make the point again - it also happens when you do take care of them. Please stop assuming people like the op and myself don't take the sensible precautions. My bikes are always hosed off, no exception.

That, frankly, is truly outrageous that it's needed. The EU (God rest it) did at least introduce regulation of cars so they didn't rust away terminally within a few years of purchase. WTF are bikes so bad?

The anti corrosion regs are probably because depending where it is rust on a car can effect the structural strength and crash protection for the occupants. Rust on a bike frame is more cosmetic so they're not interested. For the amount of paint used it seems harsh that bike manufacturers can't use harder paint like they used to do before the EU stopped them as in the grand scheme of things it won't make that much difference to the environment?

Can I make the point again - it also happens when you do take care of them. Please stop assuming people like the op and myself don't take the sensible precautions. My bikes are always hosed off, no exception.

+1

In order to accuse someone of not taking care of something you need first to qualify what you consider "taking care" to be; am I taking care of my bike if I shampoo it every week and apply ACF50 or am I taking care if I hose it down after every ride leaving the ACF50 in place, etc, etc.

.................. bike manufacturers can't use harder paint like they used to do before the EU stopped them as in the grand scheme of things it won't make that much difference to the environment?

You only need to look at other manufacturers to see that the old 'EU crap paint' thing is a red herring. Pop into the Orange section in here where people tend to ride their bikes all year round and ask who has issues with corrosion and/or poor paint quality.

As I said before, along with others, the current issue with WBM is poor surface prep followed by poor quality application of paint. It's NOT to do with using modern low volatile paints and it's not to do with riding the bike through the winter.

Andres

I know it does BUT if you don't take special care then it is almost guaranteed to happen.

BMW have to improve the finish - I wonder what it actually takes and what the cost implications are.

+1

In order to accuse someone of not taking care of something you need first to qualify what you consider "taking care" to be; am I taking care of my bike if I shampoo it every week and apply ACF50 or am I taking care if I hose it down after every ride leaving the ACF50 in place, etc, etc.

Just make sure that salt is not left on unprotected surfaces, even for a few hours - that's my definition.

P.S. There can still be significant amounts of salt in the road grime all year round so I have resorted to a coat of FS365 even in summer.

Picking up my new bike next week, looks like i wont be riding it till may looking at them pictures:eek::eek:

Picking up my new bike next week, looks like i wont be riding it till may looking at them pictures:eek::eek:

My new engine was fitted in May last year and white flecks of corrosion started appearing again by July. It'd never seen a wet road and only been ridden about 1000 miles :blast

My new engine was fitted in May last year and white flecks of corrosion started appearing again by July. It'd never seen a wet road and only been ridden about 1000 miles :blast

I better keep, on 1st name terms with my dealer then, by the sounds of it:augie:augie

I know it does BUT if you don't take special care then it is almost guaranteed to happen.

BMW have to improve the finish - I wonder what it actually takes and what the cost implications are.

no cost implications, at all I expect but less profit and that is why they are built to a so called price, to increase profit becaues they are to put it simply bloody greedy.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom