Zumo 660 cradle - wiring on pins?

Roger Chatterton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I suspect that the wiring loom to the bike cradle for my 660 might be faulty, as my Zumo seems only to run from its internal battery when mounted.
What I'm looking for is details of the pins on the cradle- does anyone know either which pins carry the power from the bike's battery to the cradle, or if not, where I can find this info please?
All I need to be able to do is to check that I'm getting 12volts at the cradle mount on the bike, with my volt meter.
Thanks....!

There you go

0ecdb948827a5589668efe1098958d50.jpg

Thanks very much both Ian and AberdeenAngus- just the info I was looking for!
However, as I suspected -Quote from Adv Rider -" You will not see continuity between the end of the red wire and Pin 17 & 18 because there is a step-down regulator built in to the cradle to reduce voltage from 12v to 5v."
So, useful and relevant if, like me, you are trouble-shooting. But I guess that if cradle is connected to the battery, then it should show 12v at terminals 17 & 18. I'll check in the next couple of days.
Anyhow - many thanks -very helpful:thumb:thumb

FYI I found my 660 bike mount full af water when it stopped charging the satnav. Blown inline fuse too.
Have you checked the fuse yet?
Ended up purchasing a brand new mount as the insides were stuffed.
Seems a common issue when I googled it.

So much for being waterproof.

No, not checked fuse yet- I've wired it via a Centric(?) fuse box on my F700. Just not had time to remove tank panel etc.
Bit of a faff, but has to be done! Quite possible it has got water in though. I'll report back with findings.

The holder can be dismanteled and in side is a circuit board. Including the 5 v transformer. If fuse is ok this could be damaged. Ive had same problem.

Just to conclude - I found time today to check over my wiring, fuse and mount.
Everything was as it should be, and no blown fuse, and no wiring had come out of the fuse box. So, it had to be the pins in the cradle. I pushed them in and out a few times, as they are slightly sprung, and should push against the relevant contact on the rear of the Zumo. I then sprayed a dash of WD40 on the pins, pushed them in and out some more, and now everything seems back to normal. So, hopefully no major corrosion inside the cradle etc.
Thanks for the help from everyone - useful info if it goes wrong again!:thumb2

Did you see 12v at 17 & 18, or 5v ????
Couldn't get any reading at all, but I know the Zumo is running off the bike's supply, as the battery icon at top right of the Zumo screen now disappears. Also it fires up the Zumo as soon as I put it in the cradle, which it didn't before.
I think maybe I was so surprised to get it working that I possibly forgot to check again for volts at #17 & 18!
I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.

I encountered a similar problem this week while touring in Spain - all of a sudden, the cradle stopped powering the device. For me, this was a show-stopper equivalent to getting a flat tire - I don't speak Spanish, and I have been riding about 200 miles a day (and plan to keep on doing so) along twisty mountain roads. No GPS = no idea where to go next.

I checked the cleanliness of the pins & the back of the device - no apparent problems there. So, I decided it was time to start tracing the power supply all the way from the bike's fusebox to the pins. This involved some disassembly of the moto - but, no problems found.

I then took apart the clip that the 660 mounts to. There are 7 very tiny Phillips screws holding it together. When the two halves are separated, a small plastic piece - the button you push to release the 660 from the mount - will fall out. No big problem, it is obvious how it fits back in, you won't have trouble figuring it out.

There are two small electrical connectors inside that connect wires from the cable to the circuit board inside the mount. One connector has about 10 tiny pins on it - it supports the use of external devices such as a traffic receiver, the microphone & headset jacks, and (on later units for North American use) an XM radio receiver. The other connector, which is a wee bit bigger but still quite tiny, has only two wires - red and black, those being the 12 volt (nominal) power supply from the moto and the ground. I unplugged both connectors, which allowed me to fully separate both halves of the mount.

I checked voltage across the red and black wires and had exactly the same voltage as I measured across the two terminals of the battery.

There wasn't much else I could do - obviously, nothing on the tiny circuit board can be repaired in the field - so, I put it all back together. But, much to my surprise, the darn thing worked again after I put it all back together. I have no idea what I did - perhaps there was some microscopic corrosion or dust on the little connectors that was interfering with power flow and I inadvertently cleaned it off by unplugging and reconnecting the two connectors.

The circuit board itself can be removed from the plastic body of the mount (two more Phillips screws, even tinier than the 7 that hold the mount together). I did undo those screws and take the circuit board off the front half of the mount - but, there's nothing to see except the back of the circuit board. The spring-loaded pins are integrated directly into the circuit board - it's a cleverly sealed-up assembly - and based on my observation of that assembly, I suggest that rather than using WD-40 to clean it (as Roger mentioned in post #8, above), one should only use electrical contact cleaner. WD-40 is a combination of solvent and lubricant, electrical contact cleaner is solvent only. Solvent will evaporate, lubricant will not, and there is no way for excess lubricant to escape from the bottom of that spring-loaded pin assembly.

Regards from Spain (back on the road again...)

Michael

PS: When you re-assemble the mount, don't forget to put that plastic push-button thing back inside the two halves prior to re-installing the 7 Phillips screws. If you do forget, for sure DON'T put the 660 into the cradle until you have taken the mount apart and put that plastic release push-button back in place - otherwise, you'll never get the 660 out of the mount again.

I encountered a similar problem this week while touring in Spain - all of a sudden, the cradle stopped powering the device. For me, this was a show-stopper equivalent to getting a flat tire - I don't speak Spanish, and I have been riding about 200 miles a day (and plan to keep on doing so) along twisty mountain roads. No GPS = no idea where to go next.I checked the cleanliness of the pins & the back of the device - no apparent problems there. So, I decided it was time to start tracing the power supply all the way from the bike's fusebox to the pins. This involved some disassembly of the moto - but, no problems found.I then took apart the clip that the 660 mounts to. There are 7 very tiny Phillips screws holding it together. When the two halves are separated, a small plastic piece - the button you push to release the 660 from the mount - will fall out. No big problem, it is obvious how it fits back in, you won't have trouble figuring it out.There are two small electrical connectors inside that connect wires from the cable to the circuit board inside the mount. One connector has about 10 tiny pins on it - it supports the use of external devices such as a traffic receiver, the microphone & headset jacks, and (on later units for North American use) an XM radio receiver. The other connector, which is a wee bit bigger but still quite tiny, has only two wires - red and black, those being the 12 volt (nominal) power supply from the moto and the ground. I unplugged both connectors, which allowed me to fully separate both halves of the mount.I checked voltage across the red and black wires and had exactly the same voltage as I measured across the two terminals of the battery.There wasn't much else I could do - obviously, nothing on the tiny circuit board can be repaired in the field - so, I put it all back together. But, much to my surprise, the darn thing worked again after I put it all back together. I have no idea what I did - perhaps there was some microscopic corrosion or dust on the little connectors that was interfering with power flow and I inadvertently cleaned it off by unplugging and reconnecting the two connectors.The circuit board itself can be removed from the plastic body of the mount (two more Phillips screws, even tinier than the 7 that hold the mount together). I did undo those screws and take the circuit board off the front half of the mount - but, there's nothing to see except the back of the circuit board. The spring-loaded pins are integrated directly into the circuit board - it's a cleverly sealed-up assembly - and based on my observation of that assembly, I suggest that rather than using WD-40 to clean it (as Roger mentioned in post #8, above), one should only use electrical contact cleaner. WD-40 is a combination of solvent and lubricant, electrical contact cleaner is solvent only. Solvent will evaporate, lubricant will not, and there is no way for excess lubricant to escape from the bottom of that spring-loaded pin assembly.Regards from Spain (back on the road again...)MichaelPS: When you re-assemble the mount, don't forget to put that plastic push-button thing back inside the two halves prior to re-installing the 7 Phillips screws. If you do forget, for sure DON'T put the 660 into the cradle until you have taken the mount apart and put that plastic release push-button back in place - otherwise, you'll never get the 660 out of the mount again.
Hi Michael,quite correct about WD40 versus switch or contact cleaner, but the reason why I used WD40 was that the pins on the mount were obviously sticking and thus preventing power reaching the Zumo! Using WD40 meant that a small amount of lubricant was in fact required, and all has been just fine since. I think the important thing is not to use too much WD40-small quantity applied with a Q-Tip did the trick.Otherwise, contact cleaner or ethyl alcohol on circuit boards and contacts is best - I use ethyl alcohol to clean up the heads on my open-reel tape recorder, because it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. I have to persuade the pharmacist that it is a genuine requirement though..!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom