Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GT750 Kettle: keep original or highly polished????

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

GT750 Kettle: keep original or highly polished????

I'm very lucky to have the problem of not knowing what to do with the Kettle I bought last year. It's a 1976 'A' model, completely original, honest and mechanically excellent. I bought it as an investment but also to have fun on, it gets ridden and isn't a garage queen.

However, I can't decide to keep it as it is (albeit give it a good clean and polish) or strip it down and get stuff re-chromed and the engine and casings properly polished and made shiny. I flip-flop on this almost on a daily basis. The photo on the left is how it is now and still covered in ACF and WD40 from the previous owner (but this would go in the spring clean). The other photo is how they can look after polishing.

What is the general view of you Tossers as to what to do? Keep it honest, original and showing her age or go under the knife and have 'enhancements'?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Strawberry fields ... forever Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    If you strip and clean it, you'll never ride it; so fettle in situ is my vote.
    Paul

It's only ever original once, keep it as is and enjoy, in my opinion is worth more untouchend👍

Following a new path Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Just look after it, keep on top of the jobs, let it show it's age - ride it and enjoy it....

I would polish it within an inch of its life and enjoy continuing to polish it at every opportunity

You open by saying its an investment. Buyers of classic bike prefer original patina. It looks fairly respectable as is so leave it.

Once you start the stripping polishing route you wil incur costs that will not be recouped on selling.plus you will never keep up with the serial restorers who scour the world for NOS parts, then trailer the bike to shows such as Stafford

And as said above garage queens get treated as such and two strokes need to be ridden to keep them Running sweet

You either bought it as an investment or to have fun. The more you do to it to take it away from its ornignal state the less return on your money. JJH

Ride it to Las Vegas............................................. ......or thats what I did with mine.

It's only original once so step the fuck away from it
    2016 BMW R1200 GS Triple Black
    2017 BMW R Nine-T Scrambler X
    1996 BMW R80 GS Basic
    1980 Kawasaki Z1300
    1962 BSA Gold Flash
    2002 Triumph Bonneville (Desert Sled)
    2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)
    2001 Yamaha T-Max Mk1

It was original once, just as it rolled off the production line. Now it is old and dirty so clean it! It is what the 'original' owner would have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    I'm very lucky to have the problem of not knowing what to do with the Kettle I bought last year. It's a 1976 'A' model, completely original, honest and mechanically excellent. I bought it as an investment but also to have fun on, it gets ridden and isn't a garage queen.

However, I can't decide to keep it as it is (albeit give it a good clean and polish) or strip it down and get stuff re-chromed and the engine and casings properly polished and made shiny. I flip-flop on this almost on a daily basis. The photo on the left is how it is now and still covered in ACF and WD40 from the previous owner (but this would go in the spring clean). The other photo is how they can look after polishing.

What is the general view of you Tossers as to what to do? Keep it honest, original and showing her age or go under the knife and have 'enhancements'?

brothers got 2 off em, one original and one polished (gixer front and rear end on the polished )..he has about 10 classic bikes and the best rider out of all of them is his original kettle
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Shep of the Dessert Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    No point in restoring it if it doesn't need it, and especially not if you want to keep using it, there must be hundreds of people that would want to buy that bike as an original with time earned patina, but once its restored you will probably restrict your potential customers to just a few rich nit picking rivet counters.
    A man with no boat is a prisoner.
    Faroese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by skid06 View Post
    brothers got 2 off em, one original and one polished (gixer front and rear end on the polished )..he has about 10 classic bikes and the best rider out of all of them is his original kettle
    I would love to build a GT750 special. Fec it I wish i didnt open this thread.

Thanks for all the replies. This has been very helpful and it's an overwhelming thumbs up for keeping her original.

I have the same bike in blue. Mine only has 3300 miles on it. I am trying to get it back to as close to original as possible and then will offer it up for sale this spring. I think your bike looks really good as is but in the end it's not us to decide its you.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

If you leave as it is you'll not worry too much about riding it and getting it dirty. The patina has value to some people, and those who prefer polished bikes can buy one with patina and have the pleasure of polishing it. You can't re-create the patina.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast