Planning a Route How to - google maps

scorp888

Reaction score
So is the gathered wisdom of the group.

Plot in google maps - export - base camp - unit?

In which case is there a how-to somewhere that covers the google maps part?

It's easier just to plan it in basecamp... wots not to like :D

Don't use Google maps directly. Instead use a site that offers Google maps as one of its map options like this one http://motoplaner.de/

It's in German so open it in Chrome and use the auto translation feature. You can download/upload routes and/or tracks in formats to suit a multitude of devices. You can also plot mixed onroad/offroad routes with it very easily.

One no street view, and 2 for the moment no nav 6 :)

Why wait until you have your nav 6? Just crack on with using/playing with creating routes in Basecamp and get some sorted and ready to download onto your forthcoming Nav 6

Why wait until you have your nav 6? Just crack on with using/playing with creating routes in Basecamp and get some sorted and ready to download onto your forthcoming Nav 6

Because basemap, amazingly doesn't come with any routable maps from garmin! They want you to buy them for the PC and the unit! ( I do have some maps from my old SP3, but waitin on Garmin techincal support to help with that!)

Because basemap, amazingly doesn't come with any routable maps from garmin! They want you to buy them for the PC and the unit! ( I do have some maps from my old SP3, but waitin on Garmin techincal support to help with that!)

Nothing amazing about it. Basecamp is a tool not a map. THe come free with any Garmin and you don't have to pay for those on your PC once you have a unit. I regularly download map updates onto three computers. You could download maps from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ to practice with. They are more detailed and generally more accurate than Garmin maps anyway and you can load them onto Garmin devices.

John

Back
Top Bottom