What areas to take in?

Moocher

Reaction score
Hi Tim,
As a new member to the site I am looking advice for a trip in mid April to Morocco. Two of us are travelling & looking to stay around 5 days. Obviously we cannot get the lot in but can you advise what areas to take in & best routes as it will be a first trip.

Thank you,
David

I'm assuming you are travelling overland from UK via Spain and landing in or near Tanger.

Five days isn't a lot. You could travel vast distances riding ten or twelve hours each day, yet see nothing other than a blur. Personally I prefer to take things much easier and allow lots of time off the bike to soak up the atmosphere.

So you could possibly do Spain to Tanger to Chefchaouen on the first day. If you start from Spain early enough you will hopefully arrive in Chefchaouen early enough to explore.

Day 2 via Volubilis (if you like Roman ruins and straight through Meknes to Azrou where you could stay at Cedres Hotel in the middle of town.

Day 3 visit the wild monkeys, then north to Ifrane, then cut through the lakes district to Sefrou and overnight in Fez.

Day 4 explore Fez medina in the morning then north via Moulay Boussaleham to Larache on the coast (Lixus roman ruins next door).

Day 5 north via Asilah to Tanger.

Thanks Tim,
We are taking three weeks in total, with the first week through France/ Spain & the middle week into Morocco. Had intentions to go as far as Marrakech via middle Atlas, but that may take 7 or more days to do, which we may have to do.
I take it there is secure parking for bikes in most hotels?

Thanks Tim,
We are taking three weeks in total, with the first week through France/ Spain & the middle week into Morocco. Had intentions to go as far as Marrakech via middle Atlas, but that may take 7 or more days to do, which we may have to do.
I take it there is secure parking for bikes in most hotels?

Hi

Use Booking.com to find your hotels. Each listed will tell you if they have secure parking etc. We use the software programe "Tyre" to plan our routes and then down load it onto our Sat Navs. You can also look at hotels using "Trye" as well.

Riding through France believe me is boring. Much better getting a ferry straight to Spain (Cost no more when you factor fuel, tolls and hotels in) and then spend more time riding in Morocco. Believe me they is zero comparison with riding in France. Whenever we have ridden in France we have endured rain and more rain.

We are going Plymouth to Santander at the beginning of May at a cost of £137.70 each way per person sharing a two berth cabin and that includes the cabin. We catch the ferry at about 3.00pm and arrive in Spain the following day just after midday. So ferry to France might cost you £40 then overnight hotel about £30 you will spend about £90 on fuel so already you are on a loser without the cost of tolls in France. If you do go via France remember at the Tolls to press the speak button and tell them you on a motorbike as the toll price then goes down by 50%. In Spain there is no reduction for motorbike but the route from Santander does not include tolls. It does if going via Bilbao and they are quite expensive. Last time I think I paid £36 or thereabouts.

Derek

PS Let me know if you want to book with Brittany Ferries as you can use my club card to obtain special prices.

Hi Derek,

Unfortunately we have already booked the Rosslare/Cherbourg ferry for the 9th April, as we were not sure if we were going to head to Balkans.. but since decided on Morocco as destination. Thank you for the offer of the club card. (next time!).

We have friends to stay with on East coast of Spain so we hopefully are taking in the Millau bridge on route down. ( I agree about France, have been drenched travelling through before).

Good to know about the tolls as I have been fleeced on a few occasions.

Thanks

David

If arriving at Cherbourg, stop in at St Mere Eglise and check out the Airborne Museum...superb.

One thing to bare in mind if you decide to use booking.com is they're are only allocated so many room and may appear full when in fact they're not. It's very unlikely though that you need to book ahead.

Agree with Tim about booking.com only having so many rooms allocated. You can often phone the hotel directly and be quoted a lower price, as they don't have to pay booking.com a commission.

Have been to both on previous trips.. great to see. The Airborne museum I believe is now closed.

Back
Top Bottom