Thread: TE 450 Starter Refurb

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

TE 450 Starter Refurb

Husky UK are charging about £250 for new starter motor ('03 TE 450) and theres an Italian firm selling them on eBay for about £140 plus £40 delivery. Is a motorcycle starter motor like that serviceable and worth servicing?

Not something i've had experience with before.
    R1200GSA
    Triumph Scrambler 900
    Kawasaki Drifter

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Ah, so you bought it; nice bike

If it's noisy it may just want taking apart and cleaning/greasing/brushes changing.

You'll need to do a bit of research but you should find the starter motor is common to some KTM's and almost certainly most of the FE 'Bergs - in which case they are all around a ton on ebay.

Andres
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    One of the five imbeciles

Im SOOO excited

Thanks very much. Its being delivered on Friday (£88 bargain) so I will have a listen to it then and do some proper research on the weekend. I did ask about retro fitting a kick start but its been advised as a bad idea, due to engine case damage caused on the occasional severe kick back. Tax and insurance all sorted, so look forward to taking it for an initial spin.
    R1200GSA
    Triumph Scrambler 900
    Kawasaki Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    Ah, so you bought it; nice bike

If it's noisy it may just want taking apart and cleaning/greasing/brushes changing.

You'll need to do a bit of research but you should find the starter motor is common to some KTM's and almost certainly most of the FE 'Bergs - in which case they are all around a ton on ebay.

Andres

Someone else who's now got a proper Husky

Should be easier to learn on than the GS Adventure!
    Last edited by crotchrocket; 01-03-17 at 16:57. Reason: spelling
    R1200GSA
    Triumph Scrambler 900
    Kawasaki Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    Husky UK are charging about £250 for new starter motor ('03 TE 450) and theres an Italian firm selling them on eBay for about £140 plus £40 delivery. Is a motorcycle starter motor like that serviceable and worth servicing?

Not something i've had experience with before.
    Are there any numbers on the starter motor? I repair starters off cars,trucks and agricultural vehicles not had much to do with bikes but I maybe able to get parts or offer advice.

You may find they're interchangeable with something else, eg, Yam R6 etc.
    KEA

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    You may find they're interchangeable with something else, eg, Yam R6 etc.
    Ah yes, that 450 Berg you sold me would take a R6 starter IIRC

Andres

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    Ah yes, that 450 Berg you sold me would take a R6 starter IIRC

Andres
    That bullshitter Taffmeister sells them as his his own 'Beefy Starter'
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Tiger View Post
    Are there any numbers on the starter motor? I repair starters off cars,trucks and agricultural vehicles not had much to do with bikes but I maybe able to get parts or offer advice.
    Thanks very much, I'll have a look at it when it comes and get back to you!
    R1200GSA
    Triumph Scrambler 900
    Kawasaki Drifter

I attempted to add a kickstart when i got mine a few years back using parts from a T.C but something was wrong/adrift poss something with the casing can't remember exactly but it didn't happen in the end. That said the starters been a 100% reliable & it's been through some water. If it hasn't already got one a fan kits a useful addition for the slower stuff. . Great Bikes still enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Tiger View Post
    The starter is a Mitsuba SM-14 on the Husky, which is shared with many other bikes. Without putting them side by side i cant be sure, but it looks as though its just the rear end where the mounting points are that changes between bikes. would that make sense? I don't think the centre cylinder is a different length on different models. Below are pics of a Husky motor and a Yamaha R6 motor. Same SM-14 starter, but clearly different mounting ends. Question is, can i buy the R6 one and swap the end cap for the Husky part? Hey presto, a good used starter motor for £55 instead of a new Husky one for £250....
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    R1200GSA
    Triumph Scrambler 900
    Kawasaki Drifter

Are there any other numbers on it as sm-14 could just be the generic number and further numbers for the model type. It may just be the pictures but the barrel lengths appear to be different thought this may not mean you can't swap the end plates over.