TE 450 Starter Refurb

crotchrocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Husky UK are charging about £250 for new starter motor ('03 TE 450) and theres an Italian firm selling them on eBay for about £140 plus £40 delivery. Is a motorcycle starter motor like that serviceable and worth servicing?

Not something i've had experience with before.

Ah, so you bought it; nice bike :)

If it's noisy it may just want taking apart and cleaning/greasing/brushes changing.

You'll need to do a bit of research but you should find the starter motor is common to some KTM's and almost certainly most of the FE 'Bergs - in which case they are all around a ton on ebay.

Andres

Im SOOO excited :D

Thanks very much. Its being delivered on Friday (£88 bargain) so I will have a listen to it then and do some proper research on the weekend. I did ask about retro fitting a kick start but its been advised as a bad idea, due to engine case damage caused on the occasional severe kick back. Tax and insurance all sorted, so look forward to taking it for an initial spin.

Ah, so you bought it; nice bike :)

If it's noisy it may just want taking apart and cleaning/greasing/brushes changing.

You'll need to do a bit of research but you should find the starter motor is common to some KTM's and almost certainly most of the FE 'Bergs - in which case they are all around a ton on ebay.

Andres

Someone else who's now got a proper Husky :D

Husky UK are charging about £250 for new starter motor ('03 TE 450) and theres an Italian firm selling them on eBay for about £140 plus £40 delivery. Is a motorcycle starter motor like that serviceable and worth servicing?

Not something i've had experience with before.

Are there any numbers on the starter motor? I repair starters off cars,trucks and agricultural vehicles not had much to do with bikes but I maybe able to get parts or offer advice.

You may find they're interchangeable with something else, eg, Yam R6 etc.

Are there any numbers on the starter motor? I repair starters off cars,trucks and agricultural vehicles not had much to do with bikes but I maybe able to get parts or offer advice.

Thanks very much, I'll have a look at it when it comes and get back to you!

I attempted to add a kickstart when i got mine a few years back using parts from a T.C but something was wrong/adrift poss something with the casing can't remember exactly but it didn't happen in the end. That said the starters been a 100% reliable & it's been through some water. If it hasn't already got one a fan kits a useful addition for the slower stuff. . Great Bikes still enjoy:thumb2

The starter is a Mitsuba SM-14 on the Husky, which is shared with many other bikes. Without putting them side by side i cant be sure, but it looks as though its just the rear end where the mounting points are that changes between bikes. would that make sense? I don't think the centre cylinder is a different length on different models. Below are pics of a Husky motor and a Yamaha R6 motor. Same SM-14 starter, but clearly different mounting ends. Question is, can i buy the R6 one and swap the end cap for the Husky part? Hey presto, a good used starter motor for £55 instead of a new Husky one for £250....

Attachments

• s-l1600-7.jpg
    s-l1600-7.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 166
  • s-l1600-6.jpg
    s-l1600-6.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 182
Are there any other numbers on it as sm-14 could just be the generic number and further numbers for the model type. It may just be the pictures but the barrel lengths appear to be different thought this may not mean you can't swap the end plates over.

Back
Top Bottom