Tyre Choice

Speggo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
current Tourances probably won't make it all the way round the Baltic, so I am faced with choosing whether to replace them with more Tourances or go for TKC80s.

I quite fancy the TKC80s, but haven't fitted them before. Anyone got a view on suitability for a 3500mile trip on a mix of good motorway and variable eastern european roads?

Cheers

Speggo

Hi Speggo.

if it helps, i only get about 3000 miles out of a rear TK, and the roads in Scandinavia are more abrasive than here in the UK.

The TKs offer very good grip on tarmac, once you get used to the feel of them, and they are great if you are to be doing any off road riding.

Im doing a similar route and decided to fit the Tourance which are by far a better touring tyre, less noise, and more grip, and good for a lot more miles.

Speggo,

I'll be on TKCs.

I have run TKCs for the last 3 and a half years, I'm getting about 4,500 - 5,000 out of the rear and at least twice that out of the front and I don't hang about.

You will find that they 'square off' fairly quickly but last up to 5,000 and 9,000'ish respectfully if you treat them with respect.

IMHO I find tyre wear is proportionate to hard acceleration and breaking.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Paul. I think I will go with the TKCs as I'm hoping to get up to Kelso for the BMF later. They will be more fun for playing about offroad!

I remember seeing somewhere a thread that did a price / mileage comparison between Tourances & TKCs. Overall ther wasn't much in it.

See you @ the Ferry terminal on 2nd. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Speggo said:
I remember seeing somewhere a thread that did a price / mileage comparison between Tourances & TKCs. Overall ther wasn't much in it.

Two rear TKCs and one front (£170'ish) last about the same as a pair of Tourances (£170'ish)

Speggo said:
I think I will go with the TKCs as .... They will be more fun for playing about offroad!

Good idea!!

:D

track3.jpg

Greg

Greg Masters said:
Good idea!!

:D

[
Greg

Greg, that took you at least 24hours longer to post than I expected!!

Bet you won't be riding too close behind me on those Estonian forest tracks!!
:D :D :D

Where to buy TKC80s

OK then, where is the best deal on TKC80s in the Essex/Kent/suffolk area?

Just gone back to tourances after trying tk's

there total shite !!

bike feels precise in the corners again now it has dcent rubber:D :D :D :D

If you go off-road fair enough but not for me I'm afraid:)

ming said:
Just gone back to tourances after trying tk's

there total shite !!

bike feels precise in the corners again now it has dcent rubber:D :D :D :D

If you go off-road fair enough but not for me I'm afraid:)

Your right, after a few months on the TKS, the bike now feels miles better on the road with the Tourance on.

If you going Touring in Europe and intend to sit on the AutoBahn at more than 100mph then your better off with the Tourance,
I would only fit TKs if i was rideing in Morocco.:beerjug:

That said,I will be back on the TKs when I go trail riding later in the year.:D

Im with Ming :D In an unhomesextual way of course ;)

WOODY said:
Im with Ming :D In an unhomesextual way of course ;)

He's pretty good the other way too though ;)

Ming only things TKC's are shyte because he rides rather hard....for the majority of us mortal gsers, I suspect they'd still do as much as most of us ask the bike to do.

Back
Top Bottom