Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 30

Thread: Bluetooth Dongle For PMR446 Radio - Any Comments?

  1. #1
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    858

    Bluetooth Dongle For PMR446 Radio - Any Comments?

    I recently got an SMH-5, which will replace the Autocom system I currently use.

    So I'll then be able to use my phone, GPS, listen to music, and talk two-way with my mate, etc.

    But this means I can no longer use the job PMR446 radio to talk one-way to third parties.

    No-one seems to sell a bluetooth-enabled PMR446 any more, so the obvious solution is the Sena SR10.

    But as an alternative to the SR10 (€180 + the adaptor cable for the job Kenwood radio), I'm curious about this €110 Midland dongle:

    http://www.maplin.ie/p/midland-wa-bl...land-pmr-a40uz

    Any of you guys have any experience with it or similar?

  2. #2
    One of our IAM group Observers uses a similar thing for his Kenwood ,The one your have a link for is Midland radio Specific. They have different two pin adapters. You will also need a Blue tooth PTT to operate the PMR Radio.

    Thats a lot to connect up with a bluetooth link ! even more so when you put into the connection equation GPs,Music, Phone etc .....our guy had lots of drop outs when riding and it took him ages to pair the system together. He binned it and bought the SR10 ,never had a problem since

  3. #3
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3
    The SR10 is a good bit of kit, but be careful if you end up with too many devices paired to the headset. You can have (at least on the 20S) a max of two devices paired at once - so if you have a GPS, a phone and the SR10 then you've got to pick one to unpair.

  4. #4
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nearby
    Posts
    512
    This is great timing, was just wondering how I could get my pmr connected up to my bluetooth setup

    My Setup :
    Schuberth SRC connected to Iphone and Garmin 590 LM
    Garmin 590LM should be able to be bluetooth connected to the PMR radio via SR10, unless SRC doesnt limit connections.

    RBW.
    "The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better"

  5. #5
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    858
    In my case, the usage will be either/or - the radio usage will be for one application, the bluetooth application will be for another.

    When using the radio for comms, I won't be using GPS or phone.

    For personal use, I'd be using just bt comms, GPS & phone (calls & music), and not the radio.

    The big fail with the SR10 for me seems to be its battery life - website says 3.5 hours. I could be needing it all day. And hard-wiring to the bike isn't an option.

    PTT isn't a requirement for me; VOX-only is fine.

    Maplin's description of the Midland G10 radio (for example) includes this line:

    "The radio has a 2-pin Kenwood style socket for optional headsets, earpieces and microphones."

    This suggests that that dongle - as it fits the Midland G10 - will also fit Kenwood radios, no?

  6. #6
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sometimes here, sometimes there...
    Posts
    1,174
    I use Intaride BIRD-1 BT connector with my Kenwood PMR.

    Works fine. Bit bulky though...

  7. #7
    I use the SR10 linked to a Kenwood radio for work with no problems at all, battery life is never an issue and only charge for a short time every couple of days.

    It's also simple enough to charge on the bike whilst it's in use.
    KEA

  8. #8
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nearby
    Posts
    512
    I just looked here, and it says 12 hours talktime, 10 days standby ? https://www.sena.com/product/sr10/#specs

    Be interested where you have seen 3.5 hours.

    RBW.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusMC View Post
    The big fail with the SR10 for me seems to be its battery life - website says 3.5 hours. I could be needing it all day. And hard-wiring to the bike isn't an option.
    "The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better"

  9. #9
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    It's also simple enough to charge on the bike whilst it's in use.
    My application is on multiple bikes, none (bar my own) with power sockets.

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow-walker View Post
    I just looked here, and it says 12 hours talktime, 10 days standby ? https://www.sena.com/product/sr10/#specs

    Be interested where you have seen 3.5 hours.

    RBW.
    My mistake. On that same specs page, it lists charge time as 3.5 hours. I obviously mis-read things. 12 hours talk time is plenty impressive.

    So where should I be looking for an SR10 at a good price? Decent Irish online seller is €200, FC-Moto is €180. Any decent sellers out there doing them cheaper?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    The SR10 is a good bit of kit, but be careful if you end up with too many devices paired to the headset. You can have (at least on the 20S) a max of two devices paired at once - so if you have a GPS, a phone and the SR10 then you've got to pick one to unpair.
    Nope , you pair the phone to the GPs , then the GPs to you helmet , that's linked in as one pair then .

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusMC View Post
    In my case, the usage will be either/or - the radio usage will be for one application, the bluetooth application will be for another.

    When using the radio for comms, I won't be using GPS or phone.

    For personal use, I'd be using just bt comms, GPS & phone (calls & music), and not the radio.

    The big fail with the SR10 for me seems to be its battery life - website says 3.5 hours. I could be needing it all day. And hard-wiring to the bike isn't an option.

    PTT isn't a requirement for me; VOX-only is fine.

    Maplin's description of the Midland G10 radio (for example) includes this line:

    "The radio has a 2-pin Kenwood style socket for optional headsets, earpieces and microphones."

    This suggests that that dongle - as it fits the Midland G10 - will also fit Kenwood radios, no?
    Pretty sure the midland and kenwood have different pins ,even though they are two pins . Don't think they use comparable fitments

  12. #12
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nearby
    Posts
    512
    Yes there are different types of leads, so need the right one for your radio, there is a list on Sena's website. I was recommended a 'Wouxon' PMR so need to check which lead (I think its the Kenwood one).

    I also wanted to check the difference between the sr10 and sr10i, and found the information below which is quite straightforward.

    Here is the difference between the SR10 and the SR10i.

    They are the same unit except for the accessories that come in each of the packages.
    The SR10 is for motorcycle and powersports. The SR10i is mainly for industrial use.
    The SR10i only comes with a belt clip and a USB charging cable.
    The SR10 comes with a mount for motorcycles, wired PTT and extension, USB cable, 3.5mm audio cable, cigarette charger, and belt clip
    If you're on a motorcycle, buy the SR10.

    rgds

    RBW.
    "The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better"

  13. #13
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    I use the SR10 linked to a Kenwood radio for work with no problems at all, battery life is never an issue and only charge for a short time every couple of days.

    It's also simple enough to charge on the bike whilst it's in use.
    Useful to know
    Which helmet headset are you using Tim?

    I'm thinking of moving away from Autocom wired system to a more portable set up.

  14. #14
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    Nope , you pair the phone to the GPs , then the GPs to you helmet , that's linked in as one pair then .
    What bearing would that have on music sound quality? I have my phone and GPS (Zumo 550) paired with my SMH-5, and the same music file sounds way better when played from my phone than from the 550. If phone is paired with 550, and then 550 paired with SMH-5, won't the music sound quality then be that of the 550?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddmeister View Post
    Useful to know
    Which helmet headset are you using Tim?

    I'm thinking of moving away from Autocom wired system to a more portable set up.
    SMH10 use it every day for work Toddy.
    KEA

  16. #16
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,749

    Click here to find out how to remove these ads

    Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    SMH10 use it every day for work Toddy.
    Thanks Tim, that's exactly why I asked! If it works everyday for you at work it will be more than sufficient for my occasional use. I shall take a look at the SMH10 and SR combination

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"