Bluetooth Dongle For PMR446 Radio - Any Comments?

Same 320kbps mp3 file transferred from my laptop to my phone SD card & to my Zumo 550 SD card. Sounds shite played from the Zumo, sounds great played from my phone (Xperia M4 Aqua). I don't know why, but it does. Maybe later/newer Zumo are better?

I could be wrong, but I don't think the 550 supports A2DP (the Bluetooth protocol for decent quality audio) so it's playing the music via the 'headset' profile (which is great for speech, but pants for almost anything else). I think A2DP support was introduced on the 660.

The SR10 user manual says the following:

By double-tapping the PTT button when the audio channel is not open, the audio channel will open and remain open until manually closed by double-tapping the PTT button again.

That sounds like what I need - that the audio channel remains permanently open, so that the VOX operation of my SMH5 then works just it would normally, transmitting when I speak.

Is this what you guys take from that?

Perhaps you guys can help me. I have been using a Midland G8BT paired with a Midland BT2 headset. I have now swapped headsets to BMW Communications system and am struggling to activate the radio. it pairs up fine but I haven't found a way to activate the audio channel. Perhaps the double tap will work, a lot of these modules are the same. Any advice would be welcome. Yes I know I shouldn't have changed headsets!

The SR10 user manual says the following:

By double-tapping the PTT button when the audio channel is not open, the audio channel will open and remain open until manually closed by double-tapping the PTT button again.

That sounds like what I need - that the audio channel remains permanently open, so that the VOX operation of my SMH5 then works just it would normally, transmitting when I speak.

Is this what you guys take from that?

I would assume that means that when you double-tapp the PMR will continuously transmit. There is no 2ways comms with PMR, you have to take it in turns....

I would assume that means that when you double-tapp the PMR will continuously transmit. There is no 2ways comms with PMR, you have to take it in turns....

Yep, that's how I've been operating with an Autocom + PMR446 set-up; one-way transmit, which is fine.

I have an SR10 now. Paired fine with my SMH5, connected to a Kenwood PMR446, and transmitting fine via PTT. Struggling so far to get it to operate permanently-open. Double-tapping (either the PTT button on the SR10 unit or the separate PTT button) doesn't seem to create a permanently-open transmission. Not yet had a long session working on it, so if it can be done (as the manual says it can) I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Yep, that's how I've been operating with an Autocom + PMR446 set-up; one-way transmit, which is fine.

I have an SR10 now. Paired fine with my SMH5, connected to a Kenwood PMR446, and transmitting fine via PTT. Struggling so far to get it to operate permanently-open. Double-tapping (either the PTT button on the SR10 unit or the separate PTT button) doesn't seem to create a permanently-open transmission. Not yet had a long session working on it, so if it can be done (as the manual says it can) I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I recall a mate try this too, on the same set up. Kenwood sena sr 10 but a sena 10 r headset, he couldn't get the channel open by double tapping the the big button, after practice he removed the PTT, then did a double tap and it stayed open, it seemed as if the PTT connected to the Sr 10 would over ride this facility....

I recall a mate try this too, on the same set up. Kenwood sena sr 10 but a sena 10 r headset, he couldn't get the channel open by double tapping the the big button, after practice he removed the PTT, then did a double tap and it stayed open, it seemed as if the PTT connected to the Sr 10 would over ride this facility....

Thank you sir! I take it you mean a double-tap on the PTT button on the SR10 unit itself. I'll try that tomorrow. :thumb2

Music will always sound bad on a Zumo 550 as it is old tech and streams music in mono rather than stereo.

For better music you will need to upgrade your gps. I have had a Zumo 590 and now a BMW Nav V. The music quality on both are very good on my Schuberth SRC system. As others have said. Pair phone to gps and gps to helmet. That way there is no interference and you only use up 1 channel on you headset.

Re PTT / VOX...

Seems there's a terminology issue at play here, for me at least.

"Audio channel open" in this case seems to mean making a connection between radio-radio, and not actually transmitting.

Double-tapping the PTT (on the SR10 unit or on the remote PTT button) seems to leave the connection permanently open (I can hear constant/continuous hiss/noise in my earphones), but unless I press the PTT button, it doesn't transmit.

Without double-tapping the PTT button, there's no hiss/noise in my earphones, and I still need to press PTT to transmit, though there seems to be a moment of delay after pressing the PTT button before the audio channel opens (confirmed by the hiss/noise), letting me then transmit.

Disappointed with no VOX (and with my own misinterpretation of what "open audio channel" means), but otherwise happy.

I bought a cigar lighter power lead for my SR10.
I unscrewed and discarded the plug body, replaced the plug connectors with flying leads, used heat shrink sleeve to protect the PCB, then connected the flying leads to a supply from my PDM60.
I have a Kenwood radio with a battery eliminator which is similarly powered.

Batteries? We don’t need no stinking batteries! :D

Back
Top Bottom