Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Wife takes on Chlamydia. A South American Retrospective

Chiclayo to Cajamarca to Kuelap Ruins

The north east of Peru from Chiclayo to Cajarmarca to the Kuelap Ruins and the border with Ecuador is most definitely not on the Gringo trail. I was pleased to see virtually no Europeans, nor North Americans. A great chance to only speak Spanish and ride more superb twisty roads and a detour over the mountains around a landslide. The weather was changeable. From dry and arid to lush and green with blue skies to wet and misty.

Interesting looking cactus growing out of a rock face

About 30 miles before Cajamarca, there was a big landslide across the road that was being cleared by proper earth moving equipment, but not any time soon. There was a paved 100 mile detour, but I reconed there might be a shorter alternative route over the mountains and as it hadn't rained for a while, probably not too technical on the old Chlym with road biased tyres. Navigation was interesting: Just with the GPS giving me a as the crow flies direction indicator. I came upon this young girl carrying her sister and what's probably the grocery shopping. I'm not sure she had seen a European before. Certainly not one on a motorcycle.

Her way home. My route.

Eventually back on the main road

I think this lady thinks I can't see her!

Pleasant rural views

Getting more and more hilly, with more curvy roads

Occasionally following a river. Weird mossy stuff hanging off the trees

Happy locals on the way to the Kuelap Ruins

Kuelap Ruins on the ridge top right, I rode up those serpentines on the far left. And a farmer looking at me, centre right

The ruins in 2016. Virtually nobody else there. Hard to walk up there with a totally Donald ducked knee. If you're interested in reading more, please check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku%C3%A9lap

Llama in the mist at the ruins in 2016

Kuelap in 2001

Interesting rock carvings

I think I can guess why it's called the Ancient Fortress of the Cloud Warriors...

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Superb Steve, simply superb & stunning pictures..
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Cheers mate.
    Chris (not Steve )
    oppppppps
    daft as a brush iz i
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567