Andorra yes or no

With great respect - I never understand why people do this, i.e. down one side and back the other when there are so many fantastic passes over the Pyrenees one can just hop over an back again, often three or four times in the same day.

Hi Simon,

I didn't explain my plan particularly well and when I said the French side what I really meant was when we head back, East to West, we have 3 and half days to explore on the way back to Santander. On the way out, West to East we have to get from Yesa to Cellers on day 1 before riding to Reus to meet our families for a week in Portadventura. When they leave for the airport we start back to Santander. So when I said French side what I meant, like you advised was to affectively zig zag back but being able to explore more towards France side than we can on way out.

Nice! Did you know that Port Aventura is opening another bit, called Ferrari Land! Well ...

Actually Port Aventura is great! I live part time just up the road from Salou in Tarragona, and just up the road from Cellers in either Tremp to La Pobla de Segur, yes, I know ... so give me a bell if you fancy a beer ...

Regs

Simon

Don't go. I've never been, but everyone on here says it shite, so that's good enough for me.:D

Nice! Did you know that Port Aventura is opening another bit, called Ferrari Land! Well ...

Actually Port Aventura is great! I live part time just up the road from Salou in Tarragona, and just up the road from Cellers in either Tremp to La Pobla de Segur, yes, I know ... so give me a bell if you fancy a beer ...

Regs

Simon

Cheers mate may well do that. Have seen Ferrari land on you tube etc and that new ride :JB

A boy doesn't want to give away too many secrets but f you follow the C-13 south from Cellers, past Lleida and divert towards Cornudella de Montsant just before you get as far south as Maials and just follow the road to Reus and then to Salou you won't regret it ...

As you may know the 'centre' of Salou can be a bit tacky, but the prom is great and if you walk all the way down to the old customs building - now the base of some swanky restaurants, shopping, etc.and from there wader up to the halwa station you'll find the 'real' town - and very nice it is too!

Regs

My advice would be to listen to Simon, he is the font of all knowledge when it comes to Spain and a very nice man to boot :beerjug:

While the centre is a shopping mecca, most of the roads are great. Unfortunately there seems to be one main road connecting Andorra to France and one to Spain so traffic can be a pain. However if you want bike gear superb. I got a schuberth c3 alpine stars suit and boots and saved about £500 on UK prices. If you want to eat it is cheap good quality and delicious. Fuel less than €1 per litre. Just remember it is a holiday resort in the winter and stuff is cheap so in some areas it is packed out with bargain hunters. Watch out for massive queues going back to France late afternoon as customs try to spot excesses of booze and fags. On a bike you can just cruise past them.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

While the centre is a shopping mecca, most of the roads are great. Unfortunately there seems to be one main road connecting Andorra to France and one to Spain so traffic can be a pain. However if you want bike gear superb. I got a schuberth c3 alpine stars suit and boots and saved about £500 on UK prices. If you want to eat it is cheap good quality and delicious. Fuel less than €1 per litre. Just remember it is a holiday resort in the winter and stuff is cheap so in some areas it is packed out with bargain hunters. Watch out for massive queues going back to France late afternoon as customs try to spot excesses of booze and fags. On a bike you can just cruise past them.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

That's true. And if you have friends, family staying un France or Spain you can have stuff delivered fro free - but very slow!!!

The Spanish side is even more crowded at the customs post. OK you can filter but it's not a nice experience. Best to go on weekdays and get in early and out before lunch - OK in Andorra food is cheap, but the so is Spain - nothing like French prices ...

Regs

Simon

Do it

It's certainly worth a visit, for the experience, shopping and bike gear shops.

The traffic is horrendous though and eating out is very expensive.

Andorra yes or no ?

Well, better stick in my two penn'th worth I suppose.
If we are planning a trip to the western alps, we go via Roscoff, cross France, stay in the alps, travelling around France, Switzerland and Italy, we then skirt the med coast, and very often will stop off in Andorra for an overnight stay.
We stay in the Hotel Bruxelles in Soldeu which is one of the small roadside towns as you go over from France via Pas de la Casa.
Excellent hotel, friendly people/owners and very reasonable in the summer months.
Yes the scenery is great but in the morning you can leave and travel down through to Spain, on the one "through road" if you wish.
If we feel like a rest day while we are there, we jump on the cable car outside the hotel and go up to the top of the mountain for a go on the golf driving range/9 hole course/putting green to pass the morning away - great in the sunshine while we recover from something like 2500 miles in 14/15 days.
A bus trip down to the main town, Andorra de la Vella, finds you motorcycle dealers and accessory shops like Motocard - very cheap gear....
Then we travel across the Spanish side of the Pyrennes and end up at the Santander ferry to go home......simples !
But I'm not a tourist guide, so you can make your own choice - however speaking as I find, Andorra is ok !

Cheap fuel, cheap shops. Gets very busy.
Why bother when the rest of the Pyrenees is spectacular? Got plenty shops at home and the internet is a click away.

Wonkey Donkey - answering your question

It's a massive yes from me (even in November again) .... just uploaded a few pics in "PICOS recom..." post .... might convince you.
Have a look

First went there 30 years ago,was very picturesque with great quiet roads. Returned 15 years later to find a complete dump. The Spanish side is a huge duty free shopping area,it's only saving grace is cheap tyres if you're running out of tread. I've travelled through it a couple of times since for one reason or another but really the roads in the area,on the Spanish side,along with the cheap hotels and good food make it a no brainier......avoid Andorra .

Back
Top Bottom