800GS

lewisjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having sold my 2006 1200GSA 18 months ago and buying a HarleyXR1200 ,I'm beginning to miss the GS experience,I loved the GSA kept it for 9 years ,escaped the worst of the problems associated with them,but fancied a change
I don't want to go to the expense of another 1200, so am thinking of an F800GS,is there anything I should look out for,I'll have a budget of around £4000 so would probably be looking at an early one.One thing I suffered with on the GSA and on the Harley are pins and needles in the throttle hand,usually after around 40-50 miles,I also ride a 1948 Matchless G80 500 which I can do 100 miles with no problems at all.Does the F800 have any history of bar vibes.

Micky will be along soon with some objective advice as he has done a few miles on a F800 plus the bigger twins.

I have a F650 (800 engine just detuned). It does buzz a little at about 75/80 mph but not excessively. I have the standard bar end weights fitted which seem to dampen down any vibes.

if you experienced pins and needles on the GSA and the Harley but not the G80 does this point to a hand position, since a 500cc single sans balancer shafts must vibrate like a hammer drill:nenau

steve

Ha ha .... I'm here :thumb

Go have a ride on one lewisjohn that's all I can say really. Horses for courses of courses ... yes, some people complain of vibes, some don't have a problem. The 800 is just so different to the 1200 ... and yet in many respects very similar.

Not helping am I :blast

All problems with the 800 should now be sorted. Steering head bearings always an issue, wheel bearings too, but you might have a problem with your helmet ... you'll need one that will accommodate your 12" grin :D

OK, I'll come clean .... 2008 model, 125,000 miles, no corrosion, no issues :thumb
Valve clearances never required adjusting, still bang on between their max/min permitted tolerances, original cam chain and clutch :thumb

It'll do everything a 1200 will do ... sometimes less is more :D

:beerjug:

Well....I've just added a GS800 throphy model to my garage. I've bought it as a third machine to use on crappy weather days , but it's such a fun bike that it's getting used nearly all the time !

Does everything I ask it to do , it's fun to ride , so lightweight compared to the 1200s . Love it so far

Well....I've just added a GS800 throphy model to my garage. I've bought it as a third machine to use on crappy weather days , but it's such a fun bike that it's getting used nearly all the time !

Does everything I ask it to do , it's fun to ride , so lightweight compared to the 1200s . Love it so far

Good one DC .... enjoy :thumb

:beerjug:

Years ago when Ewan and Charlie helped make the R1150GSA the success it was that bike had 85hp, and weighed considerably more than an F800GS which also has 85hp.

Sure the larger engine has more torque but it also had more weight. The F800GS is a great bike

Look for one with upgraded suspension. The other main problem is the pre 2013 stator which will pack up at around 50K miles. Check if it's been done or budget for a new one - around £600 I think.
Other than that don't worry about big mileage - they are excellent bikes

this is all inspiring to me,just bought a 2009 with 24,000 on the clock I new about the stator and with a bit of shopping they can be picked up for about £150 and look a doddle to fit,so not really worried about that.its just the cam chain tensioner I need to sort out trying to get hold of a manual one but with not much luck may go down the route of the modified one ??

cheers tony

Having sold my 2006 1200GSA 18 months ago and buying a HarleyXR1200 ,I'm beginning to miss the GS experience,I loved the GSA kept it for 9 years ,escaped the worst of the problems associated with them,but fancied a change
I don't want to go to the expense of another 1200, so am thinking of an F800GS,is there anything I should look out for,I'll have a budget of around £4000 so would probably be looking at an early one.One thing I suffered with on the GSA and on the Harley are pins and needles in the throttle hand,usually after around 40-50 miles,I also ride a 1948 Matchless G80 500 which I can do 100 miles with no problems at all.Does the F800 have any history of bar vibes.

The 800 engine is a much better unit than the 1200 re reliability. IMHO
Two up, the 1200 has the edge re torque but don't discount the 800.
I only ride solo (R700GS) and find the 800 engine is well up to the task, being it back roads or motorways.

My cure for the F800 engines vibes..

ROX antivibration risers ( on my 700GS )

Having u/s hands & arms don't help mind.. :(

Grip puppies help as well

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1492113286148.jpg
    FB_IMG_1492113286148.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 291
My cure for the F800 engines vibes..

ROX antivibration risers ( on my 700GS )

Having u/s hands & arms don't help mind.. :(

Grip puppies help as well

I've got ROX risers on my 800 - are these 'Anti vibration' ones a new version Ash?

Mines quite vibey at about 5500 rpm, I've already got grip puppies on it.

I've got ROX risers on my 800 - are these 'Anti vibration' ones a new version Ash?

Mines quite vibey at about 5500 rpm, I've already got grip puppies on it.

Fairly new I think, had them nearly a year, on my 650GS twin first.
Really make a difference..
eBay no - 121953849914

I also went one tooth up on the front sprocket which also helped.... :thumb

Fairly new I think, had them nearly a year, on my 650GS twin first.
Really make a difference..
eBay no - 121953849914

I also went one tooth up on the front sprocket which also helped.... :thumb

They certainly look different to mine, thats for sure.
Did you have any problems with your cables when you fitted em?

Back
Top Bottom