Husqvarna Valve Shims - Sourcing and Replacement

crotchrocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Haven't had to deal with valve shims before, though I believe its relatively straight forward. I checked the valve clearances on the TE450 last week and know the gaps, but now realise i need to know what size shims i have installed already. I have a micrometer being delivered today, so I can pull them out and check (incase they aren't written on). I believe then, its just a case of some maths to work out what replacement shim i need to bring the gap back into tolerance. Is it worth buying a set of shims? Or just measure and buy one at a time when required? Where on earth do you buy shims from? If it is worth getting a box of them, does anyone know what diameter a 2003 TE450 would have so i can pre-order them now?

Intake (rear) gap should be 0.04 to 0.06mm
Exhaust (front) gap should be 0.06 to 0.08mm

These are my current gaps.

Rear Left. Less than 0.04mm (my smallest feeler gauge)
Rear Right. 0.06mm

Front Left. 0.1mm
Front Right. 0.15mm

So one of the exhaust gaps is well out! Any advice, info appreciated :thumb2

Try this KTM chart, there's also a brilliant spreadsheet for 950 ktms but not sure if it will tally with your bike.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange Garage/Valves/cpmodem_method/valve_adjust.html#KTMValveTables

Find out what size they are ie. diameter. In all likelyhood they're 10mm and I have a quite a few different sizes.

KTM/ Husky shims will come in 0.05mm increments which sometimes makes it difficult to get well within your tolerance, so if you want to be fussy, when you find out what size you need go to a Harley dealer and gets some for a V-Rod as they come in 0.025mm increments and are also 10mm dia.

I used KTM shims on my GSLC and only bought what I needed from EBAY after measuring them. Sometimes you can swap some around to get the right gaps.

It's obviously a pain having to leave the bike dismantled until the shims arrive but cannot see a way around this unless you buy replacements locally.

Thanks guys, i'll get into it this weekend in that case, the micrometer arrived today. Thankfully the Husky has a very clever design, where you remove a spacer clip and the rockers actually slide out the way for access to the shims, so no need to remove cam shafts etc.

Back
Top Bottom