1290 GT

It's a punt buying a bike without a test ride, but let's face it.

If you really didn't like it. You could sell it on for a profit in the spring :aidan

Lovely bike, looks just like mine, except that I haven't been tempted to ride it yet :)

After 7 years off a bike due to surgery ,

took the plunge last month and pick this up.No test ride just thought f*uck it.
Short 50 mile "blast" around the vale and couldn't stop grinning.
No issues from the neck metal work so all good.

2018-01-27_09-08-53 by Robert James, on Flickr

If you really didn't like it. You could sell it on for a profit in the spring :aidan

Exactly right.
I paid several hundred £'s extra for mine as it wasn't a pre reg.
I had no problem getting all my money back in a painless private sale via eBay.

I honestly think when the £12,000 pre reg bikes are sold. (Same as the £11000 bikes, just £1000 added by the dealer)

These bikes with low mileage will probably be selling around the £12000 area in a few short months.

Pity you didn't even get round to riding it though Nick, though I understand why, roll on the Spring :)

I picked mine up a couple of days before Xmas, rode it to Mallory Park on Boxing Day and haven’t ridden it since. The project I’m working on at the moment means I’m getting home at about 10pm on a Friday then leaving again at 3pm the next day every 2nd or 3rd week so it’s not going to turn a wheel until I finish which will probably be mid March but I think I’ll do the miles required for the first service in a weekend, get it serviced on a Monday morning then fuck off for a week straight away so I can get a couple of thousand miles on it and see if it’s as good as I’m hoping.

Spain in late March should be ok and the biggest decision would be whether to ride it down through the misery known as France or just get pissed and let the ferry do the hard work.

Ha ha.

I buy 90% of bikes without a test ride,partly due to my location. and not always having demos available and partly due to the fact that if you buy with the heart,you don’t need to pontificate for months,and miss getting a bike when you want it.

Ha ha.

I buy 90% of bikes without a test ride,partly due to my location. and not always having demos available and partly due to the fact that if you buy with the heart,you don’t need to pontificate for months,and miss getting a bike when you want it.

Quite right

Ha ha.

Up until the last two KTMs that’s what I’d always done but Gear 4 are evil bastards and persuade me to take things out for test rides :blast

Spain in late March should be ok and the biggest decision would be whether to ride it down through the misery known as France or just get pissed and let the ferry do the hard work.

Definitely the ferry to Santander :beer: :Motomartin

Its the harsh action of the front forks that is the issue. Works one minute, not the next. Tried all settings and settled on sport plus 2 rider which jacked the back up a tad. But still not right for anything but smooth roads.
In context, S1r sport worked much better and that is an all out sportbike.
The GT is not is the same league as GS or Multistrada for the balance of composure over bad surfaces v outright handling. It would work best on a track though, but thats not where I ride my bikes. BTW weigh in at 13 and a half stone. Two up the bike was better, so part of the issue must be front spring rate. Its odd though that the back has a lot of suspension travel compared to the front. I feel that may also be part of the problem.

Could it be you have a fault with your front suspension? I've ridden mine very hard on a few ochasions and it's great.

It's a punt buying a bike without a test ride,

Bought my first and second R1200Adv without trying (second one was a more known quantity) - although taking the first one home from Sunderland on knobblies - I did wonder about the choice.
R-1 - no try
HP2s - No try - spontaneous purchase
S1000XR - No try

No regrets on any of them!

Thanks Andy, when you get the rack, perhaps you wouldn’t mind measuring the distance between the fitting sockets for me, on the rack, so I can see if mine suits, there’s no indication of a product number. Thanks john

I only remembered today that I was going to measure the side rails and then I had to find the post asking for the measure,net but never mind, here it is;

The side rails are 275mm apart across the centre of the tubes so anyone with an existing Ventura rack and luggage pack measuring the same should be ok. You can only fit the rack part one way (rack towards the rear) because of the standard grab rail but that’s not a problem, the pack sits about 25mm above the seat and doesn’t foul anything even when full and the rack is big enough to take a tent or a Kriega pack if you wanted to carry extra luggage. I’ll use the hard panniers if I feel I need the added security or if I’m taking what I look on as extra touring crap like additional tools, a 12v pump and a small first aid kit and don’t want to carry it to my hotel room but apart from times like that I’ll use the Ventura pack.

I’ll take a couple of photos later so others can make their own minds up and tell me I’ve made it look like an old man’s bike :D

And now the photos

185ae9531f5749018e18f9f665bd5de1.jpg

4e01b431ce54d0259898911a20df1ef8.jpg

9b536cb0531bd8929ffd30260f9d322b.jpg

I left the tankbag on because originally I thought it wouldn’t fit but it’s turned out to be rock solid and I like having something I can put my phone in and be able to look at a map without stopping when I’m away from home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Andy, so is that a separate piece that goes between the pack rack and the the tubular mounting that fits to the subframe? Not seen that on a Ventura system before, and if it is a separate part, did it come with the rack or the side bits? John.

Two side rails then a one piece rack that just slots into the side rails. Initially I thought the side rails would act as rain traps but they’re open at the lower end so rain water will just run through.

Two bolts under the seat where the pillion footrest mount and then a P clip on either side and that’s it, job done..

It was the flat bar piece that sits between the two tubular sections (centre of pic) that I was referring too, is this part of the pack rack?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_429.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_429.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 279
I’d forgotten those :blast

I honestly can’t remember which part they came with but logic suggests they’d have come with the rails to bring the width in to 275mm if that’s the standard size.

Hope so Andy, the rails are the only parts I need! thanks John.

Andy, Still puzzling over the pack rack size, but I think I have resolved it. I believe that Ventura have changed the design of the pack rack part and introduced the type you now have so that it will be more universal ie fit more bikes.

The first time I looked, last year, the pack rack for the GT was shown as a 'PF12/B' same as the 990 Supermoto and SMT, hence I bought, off ebay a complete SMT fitting (L-brackets & pack-rack) Now its listed as a PF 30/B, but their grab rail is still

shown as a GH12, same as the SMT. Anyway, have now ordered just the L-brackets, so will soon find out when they arrive.

Incidentally, if you know anyone with an SMT I have some L-brackets!

Back
Top Bottom