Hook of Holland to Croatia

Doris

Disturbed Member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Deep in the Forest amongst the little people..
Anyone got any "must ride/must see" roads between H of H and Croatia. Particularly keen on roads alongside rivers, stunning views etc… We haven't fixed a route yet, as we like to travel "on spec" but always glad to receive recommendations. May go out via Czech and down through Austria and back Northern Italy/ France or even Switzerland. Best Alpine pass any one?
…and before anyone moans about “planning your own route..blah, blah, blah….” I am perfectly capable of reading a map and have done many continental trips… I’m just looking for guidance for the tourist in me…..OK? :D

...and we're off in about 19 days or so...
:D

Did Calais to Budapest last year via Germany, Switzerland, Austria & Slovakia. Returned via Croatia, Slovenia, Italy & France. Ride report here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52824

Read carefully & you'll see the links to loads of photos or just go straight here if you want to see photos only:

http://possu.smugmug.com/Travel

I'd suggest going via Austrian & Julian Alps in to Slovenia & returning via Italy, Dolomites, Italian & French Alps. D902 through Val d'Isere is a good road.

Coming from HofH through Holland you could follow the dyke along the Lek, from just southeast of Rotterdam (Krimpen aan de IJssel), past Utrecht, to Arnhem. It joins the Rhine there, so you could then follow that into Germany.

It's a lovely road, very twisty (well, for Holland), but on a sunny weekend day it can be pretty busy, with bikers, cyclists, and people on inline skates. And getting past Nieuwegein (near Utrecht) can be a bit of a bugger, as you have to go through all this built up stuff before you find your way again. The dyke road runs along the top of the dyke, so you're looking out over the river on one side, and the landscape (below the level of the water!!) on the other side. There are roads on both sides of the Lek (which is a tributary of the Maas), and ferries to take you across to the other side at various locations along the route. There are also a couple of lovely towns along the way (Amerongen is lovely, and a good place to stop for a bite to eat).

However, it can take you a long time to travel along. 120 kms along here can easily take 3-4 hours. So it all depends on how much time you are intending to spend on the bike. Arnhem is a pretty town, and a good place to stop if you arrive at HoH late in the afternoon.

Croatia Trip

Steve

Photos are fantastic, kept me busy for a few hours!!

Hope mine are as good, will try and post them all when I return from the trip, only 17 days to go.

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom