Hastings

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
16th March 2017

I don't sleep well - I didn't finish the draft journal until about 2300 and then spent some time doing typo corrections in bed using the iPad. I woke with it on my chest...
lol8.gif

I wake with a start at 0615 when the iPad alarm goes off and immediately start getting into gear. I have a quick wash and brush up, then get kitted up and carry my bags out to the Adv, safely ensconced under the stairs to the upper floor of the motel. I pack quickly and am ready in plenty of time to meet my 0700 check in, so stop the bike at the end of the road and try my hand at a night shot of the ferry in the harbour...

IMG_1224-X3.jpg

It's a cool morning, with no cloud. The ferry is due to sail at 0800 and arrive in Wellington at 1130. I got my second Senior discount booking this - total cost $NZ104 (not sure how much of a discount that is).

I wait with a couple of other motorcyclists and we are called forward to board first. We ride up a long and steep ramp (thank goodness it wasn't wet) and manoeuvre the bikes as directed by the staff. As on my last trip, I tie the bike down myself using the lashings the ferry company supply.

That chore done, I wander up to the passenger deck. This is a different ferry from the one I came over on and in many ways is a great improvement - not least of which being you can get a full, freshly cooked breakfast...
biggrin.gif

IMG_0794-X3.jpg

That'll do nicely...
DukeGirl.gif

After washing that snackette down with a flat white, I log into the (free) Wi-Fi. Blimey, things have changed since I last regular used a ferry - that was Caledonian MacBrayne from the Outer Hebrides in the late eighties. You were glad to get a cup of tea (although, being a Scottish ferry company, you could always get a drink...
tongue.gif
)

We sail late - at about 0820 by my reckoning. No problem, I have a fair way to go today once we get to Wellington, but I'm in no particular rush to get there.

My original plan had been to get the evening ferry yesterday and then stay somewhere in Wellington (in fact the Quest Apartments, where I stayed outbound), but a search of Hotels.com showed only backpacker level accommodation available in Wellington last night - I guess there must be some kind of event on. Thus my current plan - to ride about 200km to Hastings, where I have a room booked...

IMG_1233-X3.jpg

It is shaping up to be a beautiful day - and the ferry staff say it will be a smooth crossing...
thumb2.gif

I watch South Island retreat with some regret - I've had a fantastic time there for the past few weeks...

IMG_1237-X3.jpg

I amuse myself in various ways during the crossing, mostly surfing the internet and reading. A tannoy announces that we're going to be 40 minutes late - hey-ho...

IMG_1240-X3.jpg

Eventually we arrive at a bright and sunny Wellington and are allowed back on the car deck. All the bikes are still upright, which is always a plus point...

IMG_2359-X3.jpg

I disembark - negotiating the long ramp with some trepidation...

IMG_2360-X3.jpg

...and then join the Wellington traffic. I have programmed my destination into Bettie and she's going to take me by the most expeditious route (rather than the most interesting), which is fine...

IMG_2363-X3.jpg

She's steering me up into the hills towards Palmerston North, which surprises me a little, as the southerly route looks shorter. However, I am happy to go with it and see what happens...

IMG_2364-X3.jpg

There are variable speed limits on this route and it keeps us at 80kph for a prolonged period for no apparent reason until we are allowed to return to 100...

I need to refuel, so and a BP garage and fill up with Super (I'd normally refuel the night before, but didn't want the extra weight on the ferry)...

IMG_2371-X3.jpg

Bettie says I should be at my destination by 1645...

IMG_2376-X3.jpg

The road runs along the seafront for a while - but it's a single carriageway road and oncoming traffic is separated by a central 'bike mincer' wire crash barrier. There's an 80kph limit and lots of traffic. The Pacific Coast Highway it is not...

IMG_2384-X3.jpg

I'm then steered onto what is clearly a brand new motorway. It's not on Bettie's mapping, but is a great road and my ETA (when she has eventually recovered from the fit of the vapours that occurrences like these tend to give her) has reduced by 15 minutes...

Eventually the new road joins up with the old and Bettie breathes a sigh of relief.

Spotted this guarding a fruit and veg stall...

IMG_2386-X3.jpg

Not long after passing through the splendidly named Kuku, I spot this immigrant from Detroit on the left...

IMG_2392-X3.jpg

Guarded by this guy...

IMG_2391-X3.jpg

I asked the dog's name - and I'm pretty sure the owner said it was Alec...
yelrotflmao.gif

IMG_2389-X3.jpg

Any guesses for make/model/year?

For the car - not Alec...

IMG_2394-X3.jpg

Getting pleasantly warm - I open the vents on my sleeves...

IMG_2396-X3.jpg

Not a hugely challenging road - it runs down a very wide, flat-bottomed valley, with beautiful ranges of hills on either side...

IMG_2402-X3.jpg

Presumably they have an inmate called Owl Capone. Or perhaps members of Owl Qaeda (I'll get my coat...)
wink.gif

The Owl sanctuary was in the town of Shannon...

IMG_2403-X3.jpg

...which had some nice old buildings...

IMG_2404-X3.jpg

...and looked prosperous and tidy...

IMG_2407-X3.jpg

I start climbing into some low hills, which gives me something to think about. One bonus has been the rarity of roadworks today - although I still went through about four or five sets...

IMG_2410-X3.jpg

But hey - I'm not working...
biggrin.gif

IMG_2415-X3.jpg

After riding around the outskirts of North Palmerston, I get directed down the Manawatu Gorge...

IMG_2420-X3.jpg

It's very pretty, but a main route. It's subject to an 80kph speed limit and there's no overtaking for seven klicks...

IMG_2419-X3.jpg

I'm not altogether sure this truck driver was happy with my slowing to take pictures - he certainly didn't alter his speed...
lol8.gif

IMG_2423-X3.jpg

Lots of sections of the rock wall had these nets covering them...

IMG_2428-X3.jpg

Eventually I make it out of the gorge...

IMG_2429-X3.jpg

...without being squashed by the following truck. Time for a cuppa I think...

IMG_2433-X3.jpg

I stop at the enticingly named Yummy Mummy's Cheesecake Café in Woodville. I find excellent cheesecake, but it must have been the Mummy's day off...

IMG_2434-X3.jpg

I choose lemon and lime. It is so rich, I think that parts of it went directly into my bloodstream, where it is wreaking havoc even as I type. I also have an iced coffee, which was delicious - but a hot cup of tea would have been more refreshing...

IMG_2435-X3.jpg

No reason to post that picture at all...

IMG_2440-X3.jpg

I have just over an hour to run. It's nice and warm (about 80°F) and I'm fighting to stay alert after the calorie rush I have just subjected myself to...

IMG_2445-X3.jpg

I am expecting to see Hobbit homes - doors in these hillsides - at any time...
tongue.gif

IMG_2450-X3.jpg

Saw this very old gent in the town of Dannevirke. He doesn't seem to be much loved...

IMG_2448-X3.jpg

...but at least he looks to be used regularly...

IMG_2455-X3.jpg

Onward! (Got a bug on the lens - dammit)...

IMG_2457-X3.jpg

I come across a whole gaggle of riders doing about 95kph and give them each a wave as I pass...

IMG_2459-X3.jpg

They disappear behind - a Hi-Viz convoy...

IMG_2461-X3.jpg

Not too far now...

IMG_2464-X3.jpg

The hillsides look even more like The Shire - no wonder Peter Jackson decided to film Lord of the Rings in New Zealand.

Incidentally, someone I met on the ferry told me that Peter Jackson owns the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre...
thumb2.gif

IMG_2473-X3.jpg

Nearly there now.

IMG_2470-X3.jpg

I stop where Bettie says the hotel should be and there's a field. Turns out there's a Longlands Road East - and I'm on Longlands Road West. A few minutes later I'm pulling up at my very neat little lodge - with garage (with automatic opener) en-suite...
thumb2.gif

IMG_1241-X3.jpg

Sue, the landlady, fusses around making sure I have what I need. I set up in the shade of the back garden...

IMG_2474-X3.jpg

...and start uploading pics on the (very fast) Wi-Fi...

IMG_2476-X3.jpg

Sue brings me a complimentary tub of the local ice-cream and also leaves me with a couple of apples from the orchard...
DukeGirl.gif

A very pleasant day - no early starts tomorrow, though...

IMG_2379-X3.jpg

great pics, must have taken weeks to upload all those ! lovely looking place

Loving this, it's my early morning routine before work, so many thanks for keeping me entertained Mike :thumby:

Thats a coincidence.
The group of 95kph riders are Americans on a tour with Te Waipounamu Tours.
I was chatting with one of them monday evening as they stayed at same hotel as me in Nelson.
Like you Mike he was just enjoying his time riding here and didnt mind if it was raining, I suggested on his day off he ride over the Takaka Hill as he wasnt interested in staying in town for the day.
They have a white high top Transit that travels ahead with luggage etc and driver gets them settled in accommodation for the night.
Shame you missed the Rimutaka Hill over to the Wairarapa as it is only 15 minutes longer and a lot nicer riding roads than State Highway 1 upto Woodville.

Adrian

Had only a coffee so far this am. Open up this and see that breakfast: stomach now rumbling fit to burst! :D still a great thread though.

I do hope you will have time to return south to Hood Aerodrome near Masterton. It is the epicentre of vintage aviation in NZ with it's displays, both static and flying, of replica and restored aircraft built back down the road in the Welington suburb of Miramar. We asked the boss/chief pilot Gene deMarco "why Wellington"? He explained that the region had a rich history and supply of related skills ie sailmaking for fabric stitching, wooden boatbuilding for wing spar and propellor carving and mechanic shops for reverse engineering 1914 BMW aero engines! In fact, virtually all those pre 1920's machines you saw on SI were built right there in the Nation's capital

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/about-us

Attachments

• IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 352
Mike, Great days' riding and report and wonderful images....you certainly dodged a weather bullet by staying on the South Island for those extra days. I believe that the police car that your pal Alec was guarding is a 1975/76 Plymouth Fury (I moved to Vancouver from West Mids Police at that time and these were the absolute pigs that we drove in the Vancouver Police Department....).
As @ ahebron mentioned, it's a pity that you missed the Rimukata hills.....but then there's the tricky problem of being spoilt for choice!
Safe riding.....

Back
Top Bottom