Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Guzzi Convert winter refresh project...

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    When I got the old girl, one of the feed pipes to cool the gearbox fluid had blown apart, spewing hot transmission fluid everywhere.
    As they no longer make or supply them I was going to have to get a modern version made up.
    To replace the " fuel pipe " replacement that was in its place & weeping
    but luckily for me Cookie had one in his box of bits, so had it fitted...
    Many thanks Martin...

Fuel pipe replacement piccy 1 ( jubilee clipped on )
    Proper guzzi pipe piccy 2 ( proper crimped ends )

What would the odds of finding a genuine part after 40 yrs + lying on a garage shelf in rural Dorset I wonder ?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Was it lying next to the pile of "Rocking Horse Sh*t"

"lying on a garage shelf in rural Dorset"

Cant think of a better place to find parts for a ditch pump..

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
    "lying on a garage shelf in rural Dorset"

Cant think of a better place to find parts for a ditch pump..
    ROBERT.....

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Appreciating Scotland Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Really made a difference to that Ash. I hope that it was only sweat, paint and cleaning materials!
    '83 BMW R100
    Yamaha S10
    '69 BMW R60 US

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    Really made a difference to that Ash. I hope that it was only sweat, paint and cleaning materials!
    Other than stainless down pipes it was really was paint, polishing, cleaning & cleaning again, luckily

Fantastic Ash, I'm very envious :-)

That was a great read, you should be proud of the work and the transformation. I really need a guzzi in my life

That looks lovely

I'm hoping to have a look at one of these next week. I'm told it's in very good condition, but as I know very little about old Guzzis (or modern ones come to that), what potential pitfalls specific to this machine should I look out for?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    I'm hoping to have a look at one of these next week. I'm told it's in very good condition, but as I know very little about old Guzzis (or modern ones come to that), what potential pitfalls specific to this machine should I look out for?
    Noisy driveshaft universal joint, switch gear, oil leaks, brakes especially if it's low miles, because they could be original pads,check it goes into high and low range, they are pretty tough though.

Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    I would love to have a spin on one of these , just for the experience .
    You really need to take it for a spin , then what you find fault with it , deduct from the price .
    These Seem to be Hoovering at about £2500 - £3500 for useable Machines , there arent really that many pitfalls on these
    very straightforward to work at ,, they really are , even i work on my own ! ... That tells you a lot.
    If you were to ask ,, what is the biggest woe these bikes have ,, for me ,,it has to be the electrickery , the devils own work !.
    The last Guzzi i was working on i couldnt find a wiring diagram to match the bike . Iirc i had to work off a couple of Diagrams , but i
    eventually got there .
    Lovely simple bikes , that give back as much satisfaction as you ever get from working on a machine .

Cracking job you've done of bringing it back up. Can I ask how you got the finning on the barrels polished up? Never that easy a job, my T3 barrels always seem to be lightly furred up after a winter in the garage..

Quote Originally Posted by craig10 View Post
    Cracking job you've done of bringing it back up. Can I ask how you got the finning on the barrels polished up? Never that easy a job, my T3 barrels always seem to be lightly furred up after a winter in the garage..
    I use " Rub N Buff " via eBay — listing no 351755687966

But loads of listings, way cheaper in the States if you know anybody out there..

At the Guzzi Factory museum yesterday..
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Went for a short spin on the Convert and after some deliberation I agreed to buy the bike! I won't actually have it for a couple of weeks though.
    Steep learning curve then in the foibles of Guzzis and getting used to the transmission etc - all part of the fun.
    Mike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast