Taupō

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
17th March 2017

Happy St Patrick's Day!
aidan.gif

I sleep really well and don't wake until just before 0800 - perfect...
thumb2.gif

I shower, shave and get kitted up, then pack the bike - an easy task as it's in the garage next door. I decide against a coffee and I'm going to visit Napier first thing (about 20km away) and will have breakfast there.

I open the curtains to see a cloudless sky - it's about 60°F without any discernible breeze...

I press the starter just before 0900 and make my way back to the disturbingly named Pakipaki road...

IMG_2479-X3.jpg

...and turn towards Napier.

Napier was nearly razed to the ground by a severe earthquake in 1931. When rebuilding, they decided to build in the architectural style of the day - Art Deco. It has become famous for this style and - since Art Deco is one of my favourite styles of architecture - I thought I'd ride along and have a look...

IMG_2480-X3.jpg

Well - Duh!
tongue.gif

I take a ride through the suburbs to get to Napier - and there is the occasional Deco building here too...

IMG_2486-X3.jpg

I can hear the theme to Beverly Hills Cop playing somewhere...
biggrin.gif

IMG_2483-X3.jpg

Art Deco fell out of fashion after WWII really - although it had a resurgence in the 1950s. You see the occasional 1930s and 1950s houses in the UK - very often characterised by flat roofs.

I have a feeling that one of the reasons it lost favour was that a lot of the Nazi party's insignia and designs were done in deco style - epitomised by their eagle:

small_eagle_detail__78078.1432364200.1280.1280-X3.jpg

Of course, that may be complete bollocks - but every time I see German architecture and design from that period, it definitely has a Deco slant to it...

IMG_2488-X3.jpg

The centre of the town is well kept and seems vibrant and prosperous...

IMG_2489-X3.jpg

...and Deco architecture abounds...

IMG_2493-X3.jpg

Both old and new...

IMG_2494-X3.jpg

Napier is also a port - and has a beautiful beachfront...

IMG_2495-X3.jpg

...where I can hear the dull crash of breakers on the beach just a couple of hundred feet away...

IMG_2509-X3.jpg

Although there's a 50kph limit - with typical NZ Transport Dept politeness, they suggest you might happier doing 40...

IMG_2511-X3.jpg

Some of the buildings really are great - particularly this newspaper office...

IMG_2512-X3.jpg

...and the Fire Station (although it's empty, by the look of it)...

IMG_2523-X3.jpg

But even down the back streets there are good examples...

IMG_2517-X3.jpg

...if a little unloved...
tongue.gif

I even recognise my favourite apartment chain has a rather fetching facade...

IMG_2519-X3.jpg

...and notice that Napier council provide free recharging for electric cars next door...

IMG_2520-X3.jpg

OK - I'm Deco'ed out...

IMG_2522-X3.jpg

I get Bettie to set course for Taupō, my target for today - she tells me I'll be there in an hour and a half. I set off, stopping to refuel at a BP station. As I undo the filler cap it comes off in my hand...

Bollocks
bluduh.gif

I know exactly what has happened, because I have had this failure once before. Because the tank bag 'bra' is not designed for this bike and I've adapted it to fit, the large hole for the filler cap isn't quite aligned. Over the weeks I have been putting strain on the light alloy casting and it has eventually broken. First failure of the trip really (I don't count the LED lamp, because I knew in advance it was likely to fail).

The good news - it still latches into place and therefore doesn't need replacing. I also think I have a spare in my parts bin somewhere...

Hey-ho - I set off and almost immediately spot a small café...

IMG_2532-X3.jpg

...on the left...

IMG_2528-X3.jpg

...overlooking a lake where they are running a training session for youngsters in small sailing dinghies, by the look of it.

I park the Adv up and walk into the cafe. I order a breakfast (bet you didn't anticipate that) and a coffee and go to pay using my card. The sign on the machine says 'No Credit Cards'. No problem, I have a Debit Card too. The girl behind the counter thinks it will only work with NZ Debit Cards - we give it a go and she's right. Unfortunately, I am short of cash at the moment (need to go to the bank later today), so I ask to cancel the order - I can find another café.

Then something quite remarkable happens. Lauren...

IMG_2529-X3.jpg

...who has dropped in to grab a cappuccino whilst her daughters get changed for their sailing lesson says "I've got this" and slides her card through the reader.

I protest and say there is no need for this - I'm not destitute or anything - she just smiles and says "I just like making someone's day better now and again".

What a lovely random act of kindness...
thumb2.gif

Quite taken aback by the recent turn of events, I sit outside, take a large gulp of coffee and scald the entire roof of my mouth...
rolleyes.gif

I get chatting to a couple of truck drivers at the next table - they reckon this weather is going to be around for a while. I'm glad to hear it (although, being purely selfish, it only has to be around for another couple of weeks...
biggrin.gif
). They ask where I'm heading and when I tell them they both grin - "You'll enjoy that road on a bike".

My gargantuan free breakfast arrives - with Bratwurst!
DukeGirl.gif

IMG_2533-X3.jpg

After forcing that down, I get kitted up - noticing a reluctance for the zip on my jacket to fasten as easily as normal - and start the Adv back up. I wave towards the sailing class - in case Lauren is looking...

IMG_2534-X3.jpg

...and then turn left onto the coast road...

IMG_2539-X3.jpg

I notice these two odd looking towers near the end of the runway at Napier Airport - anyone know what they might be for (they remind me of air-racing pylons)?

IMG_2540-X3.jpg

Hey-ho - better ride my motorbike to somewhere new, I suppose...
tongue.gif

I'm soon turned left onto Highway 5 "The Thermal Explorer Highway" towards Taupō, about 120km distant...

IMG_2544-X3.jpg

Immediately I am back in the Shire - I could easily imagine a Hobbit home in any of the hillsides here...

IMG_2548-X3.jpg

It's a great road, although quite busy...

IMG_2554-X3.jpg

...but I manage to get a few overtakes in, and make pretty good progress...

IMG_2558-X3.jpg

I seem to be climbing most of the time - I feel my ears pop as they equalise pressure...

IMG_2562-X3.jpg

There are a couple of sections of roadworks, but nothing like what I've experienced in the past few weeks...

IMG_2559-X3.jpg

It's about 70°F and very pleasant...

IMG_2569-X3.jpg

...and altogether a pretty good way to spend a Friday morning...

IMG_2575-X3.jpg

As I crest the top of the pass, the view of the valley on the other side comes into view...

IMG_2579-X3.jpg

Onwards!

IMG_2581-X3.jpg

Only about 20 minutes to run now - I'm going to have an early finish today...

IMG_2585-X3.jpg

...although this road is great fun - and I'd not complain if it was a few miles longer...

IMG_2590-X3.jpg

I pass a whole clutch of bikes - all BMWs by the look of their apparel - stopped at the right side of the road and give them a wave...

IMG_2591-X3.jpg

At the top of the next rise, there are acres of recently planted fir trees...

IMG_2600-X3.jpg

I notice a sign saying there's a lookout on the right in a few hundred metres...

IMG_2609-X3.jpg

...and pull over to have a look at Waipunga Falls - beautiful...

IMG_2611-X3.jpg

As I go to rejoin the main road, the clutch of BMW bikes ride past and I slot in behind the rear one...

I manage to pass them, in ones and twos, give them a wave and continue towards Taupō...

IMG_2613-X3.jpg

It's still a beautiful day - and this is a great way to be spending it...

IMG_2614-X3.jpg

Lake Taupō eventually comes into view...

IMG_2624-X3.jpg

...and I'm soon slowing to join the lakefront road...

IMG_2625-X3.jpg

It seems to be the Morris Minor's lot in life to be used to advertise things...
biggrin.gif

IMG_2626-X3.jpg

This is a lovely spot...

IMG_2628-X3.jpg

I'm much too early - I'm not due to check in for another hour and a half. Happily, my apartment is ready and Barbara gives me the key and explains where everything is...

IMG_2632-X3.jpg

This apartment would normally be a bit above my price bracket, but every ten nights you book through Hotels.com entitles you to a free night (or, at least, about $100 off a price) - so this stay is only costing me about $35...

IMG_2634-X3.jpg

It's very well equipped...

IMG_2637-X3.jpg

...with two bedrooms - including this one upstairs - which has an ensuite wet-room bathroom with a Jacuzzi.

IMG_2639-X3.jpg

...and a little verandah.

Downstairs is a washer dryer, hidden away in a cupboard. I transfer all of the laundry I've been carrying in the tank panniers into the machine and switch it on.

I log onto the (moderately fast) Wi-Fi and start uploading 191 pictures...

Good day...

IMG_2610-X3.jpg

17th March 2017 (cont)

After finishing the journal, I ventured out on the Adv looking for something to eat (just something to snack on - the brunch is still in play...
biggrin.gif
). I also need to find an ATM and get some cash...

IMG_1243-X3.jpg

It's a beautiful evening - the lakefront is buzzing and I hear there may be fireworks later on - it being St Patrick's Day...

IMG_1249-X3.jpg

It's difficult to miss the local MacDonald's...
biggrin.gif

I get my cash and a six-pack and retire to my apartment...

IMG_2642-X3.jpg

Looks great, shame it's so crowded everywhere the traffic jams look pretty bad and all those potholes in the road and then there is the intrusion into your privacy buying your breakfast . It all reminds me of home NOT . Have a great trip

Another short day then, Mike?:augie

And don't let Bear see the 4 chips on your breakfast, he'd have a fit!:D

Another day, another great report, another growling stomach!

Anent art deco, I reckon the reason it fell out of favour was cost. Although based on modern construction techniques (well modern then - steel frame etc) the design details and the materials make all the difference and clock up the cost. Modernist architecture had none of that and none of the totalitarian links. The Scottish Office HQ on Calton Hill here is a stunning example of art deco and was short listed to be usedmfor the new Scottish Parliament. That was vetoed by the then First Minister, Donald Dewar who said it was "totalitarian" and promptly went on to commission the current concrete calamity at a cost of gazillions!

Wow, the seems to just get better, Mike. Loving your RR's... the pics are superb. Some random kind stranger covering your breakfast is awesome... rekindles your spirits for human kindness... lol.

Mr 20-year old son arrive in NZ on Tuesday.... looking to buy a 125cc dirt bike to go touring the South Island.... been showing him the RR's he can't wait..

Stay safe Mike...

Another good breakfast time read.

Interesting architecture. I'm going to look out that style on my travels in the UK.

I would so miss the traffic and pothole craters of our roads.

I wonder what the NZ'ers make of the traffic etc when they visit the UK.:eek:

yes, I agree with others here: a really enjoyable RR and something I look forward to reading.

Re the art deco buildings in Napier: I wonder if they chose the art deco style to rebuild the town as it allowed them to build in a manner that was more earth-quake resistant. The buildings certainly all look to be on the stout side and probably all sport substantial steel frames.

And that/your breakfast. Simple pleasures, but I am also always interested in what you end up having for breakfast! But please, chips do NOT belong on a breakfast plate.

And finally, whilst I am sat here typing. I have been really impressed at the number, range and quality of the aircraft and vehicle museums that you have found. Not something that I would have expected in NZ

Safe riding and may the sun-god shine on you

Much of the damage caused in Napier in the earthquake was from fires lit by electric lines shorting out. When the city was rebuilt it was decreed that no power (and subsequently telephone) lines were to be above ground. Look again at Mike's pics and you will note the clean and uncluttered rooflines

Napier airport was originally named Beacons Aerodrome in honour of those structures

Wow, the seems to just get better, Mike. Loving your RR's... the pics are superb. Some random kind stranger covering your breakfast is awesome... rekindles your spirits for human kindness... lol.

Mr 20-year old son arrive in NZ on Tuesday.... looking to buy a 125cc dirt bike to go touring the South Island.... been showing him the RR's he can't wait..

Stay safe Mike...

250cc would be minimum size unless he is teeny tiny.
In NZ other drivers are not the kindest to under powered or slower vehicles.

Adrian

250cc would be minimum size unless he is teeny tiny.
In NZ other drivers are not the kindest to under powered or slower vehicles.

Adrian

Thnx for that, I will pass it on... he has some contacts for when he gets there- cheers bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm torn between admiration of your trip - and envy.....

As a matter of interest, how do you get such great photos whilst on the move?

I'm torn between admiration of your trip - and envy.....

As a matter of interest, how do you get such great photos whilst on the move?

exactly what I was wondering......

I simply carry a camera (the first - which failed, as mentioned in the report, a Canon S100 and the current one an S80) in a pouch on the belt of my jacket. I take pictures when moving by holding the camera (inverted) in my left hand. I don't look at the screen, but - over the years - have come to be able to get a shot framed about right by muscle memory. I always take a series of three or four pictures and only publish the best...:D

If you don't feel you can safely do this, please do not attempt to yada yada yada

I also carry a Canon G12 on the bike which I use if I've a lot of pics to take without riding (museums etc).

Glad you're enjoying the trip... :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom