Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squire padlock SS65CS

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Squire padlock SS65CS

This is the padlock supplied by Almax to go with their huge chains.

I just watched a scary YouTube video of it being picked in just over a minute.

https://youtu.be/Tm1VahQNzVw

Question: is it frowned upon to attach bird and fox scaring type shotgun cartridge mechanisms to my bike or close by?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe narvey View Post
    This is the padlock supplied by Almax to go with their huge chains.

I just watched a scary YouTube video of it being picked in just over a minute.

https://youtu.be/Tm1VahQNzVw

Question: is it frowned upon to attach bird and fox scaring type shotgun cartridge mechanisms to my bike or close by?
    Scary indeed. But Almax now supply a different lock:

"The lock we use is not only Squires Flagship Stronghold SS65CS model, but the upgraded version known as the MOTO. This means not only is it bolted internally on assembly but also hydraulically pressed and secured with ball bearings. This ensures the maximum resistance to power tool attacks and pulling. We have also elected to use the highly respected Mauer Res 1 profile core as standard. This system requires the production of a key card to have additional keys cut as well as superior pick resistance."

I'd like to see how long it resists an angle grinder attack. Like your average tea leave isn't really going to bother is he? Yes if you wanted to open a lock without anyone knowing but I think when you see an empty space whare your bike was you'd soon realise what had happened. JJH

Quote Originally Posted by GlynnJ View Post
    Scary indeed. But Almax now supply a different lock:

"The lock we use is not only Squires Flagship Stronghold SS65CS model, but the upgraded version known as the MOTO. This means not only is it bolted internally on assembly but also hydraulically pressed and secured with ball bearings. This ensures the maximum resistance to power tool attacks and pulling. We have also elected to use the highly respected Mauer Res 1 profile core as standard. This system requires the production of a key card to have additional keys cut as well as superior pick resistance."
    I just watched the "lock picking lawyer" do that one and the new SS80CS in approx a minute too. The ball bearings are for drill protection not picks. The Mauer 4 core is used in the SS80CS and it does look a lot more secure but it's over 2 kg in weight !

I may have to get my picks out later with SS65CS and see if I can beat the time

Do thieves pick locks anymore anyway? Seems they just have a battery angle grinder.
    R1200GSA
    Triumph Scrambler 900
    Kawasaki Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    I'd like to see how long it resists an angle grinder attack. Like your average tea leave isn't really going to bother is he? Yes if you wanted to open a lock without anyone knowing but I think when you see an empty space whare your bike was you'd soon realise what had happened. JJH
    Several videos of battery operated angle grinders having a go but misleading as can't tell from video how much pressure is being put on the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    Do thieves pick locks anymore anyway? Seems they just have a battery angle grinder.
    I would expect the path of least resistance to be the preferred attack but picking a lock in under a minute could easily be confused for using a key when being watched through CCTV or using a 'secure' car park.

In 30 years as a cop I never heard of never mind saw an active criminal who had the ability to use lock picks , even professional locksmiths use much less artistic methods to defeat a lock, although I have seen one old school locksmith using them rather successfully.

I've been involved in numerous incidents where people were arrested for either thefts, burglaries or for offences of going equipped and have never yet recovered a set of lock picks.

Angle grinders,battery drills , crowbars, bolt croppers ,slim jims, window punches, acetylene cutting gear, hydraulic cutters, pass keys, electronic scanners and so on but never lock picks.

They appear to have gone the way of 'Gentlemen Thieves , Jelly Men and black and white films '

Destined to come last Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
    In 30 years as a cop I never heard of never mind saw an active criminal who had the ability to use lock picks , even professional locksmiths use much less artistic methods to defeat a lock, although I have seen one old school locksmith using them rather successfully.

I've been involved in numerous incidents where people were arrested for either thefts, burglaries or for offences of going equipped and have never yet recovered a set of lock picks.

Angle grinders,battery drills , crowbars, bolt croppers ,slim jims, window punches, acetylene cutting gear, hydraulic cutters, pass keys, electronic scanners and so on but never lock picks.

They appear to have gone the way of 'Gentlemen Thieves , Jelly Men and black and white films '
    Ditto. (But 32 years )
    Brian

GSA Triple Black
    VW 'Triple Black' Campervan
    Zagato Guzzi 950 cafe
    Guzzi Le Mans 2, black and gold Coburn and Hughes.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

......Angle grinders,battery drills , crowbars, bolt croppers ,slim jims, window punches, acetylene cutting gear, hydraulic cutters, pass keys, electronic scanners and so on.....
    Bloody 'ell, if a tea leaf has to lug that lot around no wonder they don't have lock picks......no room

Several videos of battery operated angle grinders having a go but misleading as can't tell from video how much pressure is being put on the chain.
    If I was usuing a angle grinder to cut a lock or chain I'd put enough pressure on to continue the cut and not bog down the blade. If it's slowing the disc I'd back off the pressure. I worked cutting slabs of granite and marble with a angle grinder and became quite proficient with said tool. JJH

I have an uncle that worked at prisons as a maintainable person ( at least he said he was working), I remember him being told how the guests/ inmates could make a key for a brief glance.

Agree if stealing a angle grinder or lump hammer approach may be easier but I'd expect a padlock with a high security rating to last more than a minute.

I have an uncle that worked at prisons as a maintainable person ( at least he said he was working), I remember him being told how the guests/ inmates could make a key for a brief glance.

Agree if stealing a angle grinder or lump hammer approach may be easier but I'd expect a padlock with a high security rating to last more than a minute.
    Can't edit the above now, it should read as a maintenance person, not a maintainable person!

DITTO,

Just got myself an Abus granit victory x-plus 68 for the front of the 1200GS and a Pragmassis anti pinch pin and ss65cs padlock for securing the easy to steal rear wheel,, going to get the BMW alarm system installed at first service, I suppose this is as much as I can do to protect ride while having something to eat, or a coffee, because youtube videos show angle grinders destroy everything so, the rest is up to the insurance companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    Just got myself an Abus granit victory x-plus 68 for the front of the 1200GS and a Pragmassis anti pinch pin and ss65cs padlock for securing the easy to steal rear wheel,, going to get the BMW alarm system installed at first service, I suppose this is as much as I can do to protect ride while having something to eat, or a coffee, because youtube videos show angle grinders destroy everything so, the rest is up to the insurance companies.
    I wouldnt bother with the alarm

They are a pain in the arse when they fail which they invariably do and no one takes notice of them any way

If it is just to alert you to a scrote grinding through all the other stuff you have then get an alarmed disc lock and save yourself a fortune in cash and the headaches

And don't forget the pound of butter in the fridge
    Just a Prospect at the moment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast