Something has gotta be done!

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
First bike shoot of the year today. The NEC Custom Show winner. It goes to Spain on Friday, so thankfully it was a nice day today. I rode down on the little 650 - it was comfortable enough, it sang sweetly at around the 63mph - 65mph mark on the M1, all the way down to somewhere near Slough I think I was....or Ryslip or somewhere in that north London area. It was 265 miles round trip anyway.

I enjoyed it except for one thing, the fuel tank range and the.....two things, I enjoyed it except for two things:
the fuel tank range and the Mitas front tyre not being very grippy and the fact that it, three things, I enjoyed it except for three things: the fuel tank range, the Mitas front tyre not being very grippy, the vibrations and....four things, I enjoyed except for four things:
the fuel tank range, the Mitas front tyre not being very grippy, the vibrations and the fact that it is not as easy to ride over long distances as the 1150 Adventure.
(Apologies to the Python crew)

It was a bit tedious humming along for that kind of mileage on a motorway, so it will do motorway journeys, but you wouldn't say it is a mile muncher. I was finished when I got home. I didn't even eat my dinner, I was too tired to eat. I had a cup of tea with a couple of biscuits and promptly fell asleep. I have had a good snooze from about 17.30 until half hour ago, so that will be me up half the night now I suppose!

The other bugbear that I am going to have to do something about, is the fact I had fill up THREE times today. I need to get some more miles out of the fuel range - £1.37 fuel was on the motorway and the trouble is there is only about 10 miles on the fuel light, so when it comes on it is the next services or push.....for now I will just take a 5-litre can with me and top up. I think I shall have to get a plastic Rotopax type tank and make an auxiliary tank like the hotrod system, sucking through the air vent into the main tank. 120 miles tank range is not far enough for me - the Adventure returns around 280 miles per tankful. OK a bigger tank, but I would have got there and back without needing to stop today.

There you go, my thoughts on the long range capability of the Xcountry - ride comfort is fine, tank range is limiting and annoying.

I've the bigger X Tank - better looking at it than for it.
I had a Mitas E07 front this summer with the yellow "Dakar" line on it. It was not at all grippy on the road, compared to the no. Dakar model.
I took my X Country to get remapped with Geoff, that sorted the motorway riding a fair bit but why do motorways in the first place?!
I also added a a cheapo €80 screen for the X Challenge from Argentina - makes a big difference to comfort. Oh and a sheep seat - bliss!
As for vibrations my wee X Country is silky smooth with its Hyperpro rear shock and shivers/Hyperpro front forks
Great wee bikes. Sure your bike is worth a fortune. Invest in a few extras it worth it!!!

I like your posts Simon; they make me smile :D

I rode a xchallenge to Portugal a couple of years back; 600 miles on road to get there; 600 on the trails, then another 600 back. The there and back journey was sub optimal shall we say, but I had nothing else that could do both elements to that trip. It was excellent.

I also did a 1200 mile camping trip up to and around Scotland. Mile munching upto Moffat on the motorway was a grin and bear it affair, but from thereon in, what a hoot.

I have another Scotland trip planned for May, same route, and whilst I have a 1200rt which is probably better suited in many ways; I am going on the xchallenge again. You have to make the bike work, think more 're making progress and the whole thing is just more engaging. I know i'll be knackered at the end of the day, but a few pints and a meal before nodding off; what's not to like (other than range, vibration, backside . . . . )

I have a TT tank for when I do trips like this; gives me 350-380 mile range, but its not the bike (or is it my body) to do this in one hit.

The bike has 'character'. Enjoy!

Some of the reasons I sold mine, I wasn't using it offroad and the 1150 GSA was so much better all round - so it went and I got another XR 400 which is better offroad and nearly as good on back roads sub 50 mph

I found the xcountry neither fish, nor fowl

First bike shoot of the year today. The NEC Custom Show winner. It goes to Spain on Friday, so thankfully it was a nice day today. I rode down on the little 650 - it was comfortable enough, it sang sweetly at around the 63mph - 65mph mark on the M1, all the way down to somewhere near Slough I think I was....or Ryslip or somewhere in that north London area. It was 265 miles round trip anyway.

I enjoyed it except for one thing, the fuel tank range and the.....two things, I enjoyed it except for two things:
the fuel tank range and the Mitas front tyre not being very grippy and the fact that it, three things, I enjoyed it except for three things: the fuel tank range, the Mitas front tyre not being very grippy, the vibrations and....four things, I enjoyed except for four things:
the fuel tank range, the Mitas front tyre not being very grippy, the vibrations and the fact that it is not as easy to ride over long distances as the 1150 Adventure.
(Apologies to the Python crew)

It was a bit tedious humming along for that kind of mileage on a motorway, so it will do motorway journeys, but you wouldn't say it is a mile muncher. I was finished when I got home. I didn't even eat my dinner, I was too tired to eat. I had a cup of tea with a couple of biscuits and promptly fell asleep. I have had a good snooze from about 17.30 until half hour ago, so that will be me up half the night now I suppose!

The other bugbear that I am going to have to do something about, is the fact I had fill up THREE times today. I need to get some more miles out of the fuel range - £1.37 fuel was on the motorway and the trouble is there is only about 10 miles on the fuel light, so when it comes on it is the next services or push.....for now I will just take a 5-litre can with me and top up. I think I shall have to get a plastic Rotopax type tank and make an auxiliary tank like the hotrod system, sucking through the air vent into the main tank. 120 miles tank range is not far enough for me - the Adventure returns around 280 miles per tankful. OK a bigger tank, but I would have got there and back without needing to stop today.

There you go, my thoughts on the long range capability of the Xcountry - ride comfort is fine, tank range is limiting and annoying.
And the reason that I sold mine shortly after a trip to Scotland.
Spending a trip thinking about filling up is not enjoyable.

Lovely for ambling about the lanes close to home, too compromised for pretty much everything else

And the reason that I sold mine shortly after a trip to Scotland.
Spending a trip thinking about filling up is not enjoyable.

Lovely for ambling about the lanes close to home, too compromised for pretty much everything else

About the size of it

Looking for fuel every 100 miles in remote locations wouldn't be fun and strapping auxiliary cans or having to spend £500 on a XTank is a PITA

I found I was taking the 1150 GSA keys more and more - so got rid and the next owner, Peak sold it not too long after either

Kinda marmite bikes, good in parts and make a brill urban commuter - but need to spend £100's modding it for other stuff

I have decided the 600cc class is too compromised - bigger bikes for road duties and SUB 400cc for offroad (and less complexity, if you drown a Xchallenge it's a major strip down just to remove a plug)

Just my thoughts for my take on the xcountry

To be fair, I don't think it was ever devised as a 'ride to kent one day and Cumbria the next' kind of motorbike.....and there probably aren't many fools like me that are oing just that - this weekend by the look of it. Next bike shoot is Tenterden on Saturday, then Keswick, well Hardknott Pass apparently, Keswick is the recognisable town I have been given as an aiming point on Sunday morning - get your heads round those logistics! I will do over 1000 miles over the two days.

I've got three of these bikes so as you can guess I really like them . The XMoto is purely for buzzing round town and the local country lanes on fairly short hops . Its great at that and really fun . You dont need to worry about the 100 mile range as after about 50 miles you need to get off to get the blood flowing back into your backside as the seat is not comfortable to say the least . Both the XCountry and XChallenge are fine for the slightly longer trips . I've got an additional 5l Acerbis fuel tank which bolts on to the Hepco & Becker panniers rails and works really well . That along with a good screen , heated grips for the winter and decent suspension makes the slightly longer trip no issue at all - I also have a really comfortable Seat Concepts seat for the XChallenge . I have Nightrider performance AF-XIED units on all three bikes and these really smooth out the engine . If I'm going further than say a 350 mile round trip I would always use the R1200 GSA but on shorter trips I would always pick one of the G650X's .

To be fair, I don't think it was ever devised as a 'ride to kent one day and Cumbria the next' kind of motorbike.....and there probably aren't many fools like me that are oing just that - this weekend by the look of it. Next bike shoot is Tenterden on Saturday, then Keswick, well Hardknott Pass apparently, Keswick is the recognisable town I have been given as an aiming point on Sunday morning - get your heads round those logistics! I will do over 1000 miles over the two days.

Simon - I'd be giving your 1150 GSA a run out if your doing 1000 miles.....

What size front sprocket has it got on? Put a bigger one on if you're doing big miles on the road. It'll be revving less or going faster.

Changes nothing else but it is one thing that is easily done.

I've got three of these bikes so as you can guess I really like them . The XMoto is purely for buzzing round town and the local country lanes on fairly short hops . Its great at that and really fun . You dont need to worry about the 100 mile range as after about 50 miles you need to get off to get the blood flowing back into your backside as the seat is not comfortable to say the least . Both the XCountry and XChallenge are fine for the slightly longer trips . I've got an additional 5l Acerbis fuel tank which bolts on to the Hepco & Becker panniers rails and works really well . That along with a good screen , heated grips for the winter and decent suspension makes the slightly longer trip no issue at all - I also have a really comfortable Seat Concepts seat for the XChallenge . I have Nightrider performance AF-XIED units on all three bikes and these really smooth out the engine . If I'm going further than say a 350 mile round trip I would always use the R1200 GSA but on shorter trips I would always pick one of the G650X's .

Got any pics please? I have already been in touch with Premier Plastics about a 5l tank to attach to the innside of right hand pannier frame.....I shall take a 5l tub on the back with me this weekend.

What size front sprocket has it got on? Put a bigger one on if you're doing big miles on the road. It'll be revving less or going faster.

Changes nothing else but it is one thing that is easily done.

I don't know - I don't know how to adjust the chain yet either, that is something I haven't had to do for over 20 years! Lots of other things to learn about...I only just found out it is water cooled. I didn't know that when I bought it. I cleaned the radiator, and it still didn't register that it was water cooled...it was just part of the bike that needed cleaning!

Another thing, it has a Scotty oiler on it...I have more oil to top up the oil feeder with...but it only oils one side of the chain, the inside is very rusty, what and how do people oil their chains?
Last time I had to oil a chain involved taking it off and putting it in Linklyfe on the top of the camp stove then hanging it to drip dry over the tin of black gunge. Chains is something I know nothing about, not since selling the Morini, probably more like 25 years ago if I think about it.

Got any pics please? I have already been in touch with Premier Plastics about a 5l tank to attach to the innside of right hand pannier frame.....I shall take a 5l tub on the back with me this weekend.

Here we go Simon.....

32787211683_03b6fd1b3d_b.jpg

33218023300_7a203b6619_b.jpg

33218023690_46c857fbff_b.jpg

Here is a link to where you can buy one :

http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/acerbis-auxilliary-front-fuel-tank-p-14896.html

Micky - I agree that the X-Tank is a better solution , but for the small number of times I need the extra capacity I can't justify spending £500 (the Acerbis 5L tank is only £80) . If I need to cover any real distance I would always default to my 1200 GSA with its circa 350 mile range

Micky - I agree that the X-Tank is a better solution , but for the small number of times I need the extra capacity I can't justify spending £500 (the Acerbis 5L tank is only £80) . If I need to cover any real distance I would always default to my 1200 GSA with its circa 350 mile range

I can understand that. I don't keep the X-Tank on all the time, it only takes five minutes to re-fit if I want it on for a long trip or when/if going to be in the company of the 1150/1200's :thumb

Plus I can still fit my thrower panniers on without a problem ;)

:beerjug:

Worth checking out the rotopax as well, almost as useable as the Xtank, but closer to the cost of the acerbis offering.

Worth checking out the rotopax as well, almost as useable as the Xtank, but closer to the cost of the acerbis offering.

Hi Nathan , I think the 2 Gallon Rotopax could be fitted to the inside of the H&B pannier frames on the RHS of the bike potentially ? Not sure if they have a cap that is or could be adapted to be used like the Acerbis with the syphon attachment though ?

Back
Top Bottom