Help needed cannot connect to PC

Sam555

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help, for some reason since yesterday I cannot connect my Nav V to my PC i.e. is not recognised by Garmin Express any more. Data lead is checked and ok, reinstalled Garmin Express and my cycle garmin sat nav connects fine. When I connect the Nav V screen shows the computer case and lead illustration but that's it, not seen in Windows Explorer and cannot be seen by Garmin Express. I have to hold the Nav V power button 5 secs to start it. With lead still attached Nav V will charge but no data. Lookin to be a Nav V unit problem but not sure where to start, also reinstalled Garmin drivers. Running Window 10, Avast anitivirus, as I say my Garmin cycle nav still connects fine and is recognised by windows and garmin express still. Many thanks Sam

are you certain that the usb cable is not at fault, it may be loose where it fits into the socket on the nav try and hold it so you push the connector against the pins in the socket if you get what i mean. you will hear the pc bong as it connects if it has audio.

My Nav IV does it all the time, i use a Mac book, i just save the gpx file to desktop then drag and drop the gpx files I've created on Motogoloco into the gpx folder on the sat nav and that works OK... not going to solve your issue but you can still your routes that way.

If you have other USB devices connected, printer, hub etc then pull them out and re try :thumb

:beerjug:

Thanks everyone, new lead etc no good but managed sort this via google searches so posting in case anyone else has this issue. Post from 2014 different garmin sat nav:

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/l0p9W9vsc37NJ3vH2b5pF6

for some reason something had knocked out my MTP driver, garmin support page found:

MTP devices will display*an orange icon on the screen when connected to the computer while mass storage devices will display a white icon. *If using a Windows10 computer with an MTP device and the device displays the connection screen but the device does not appear*under Portable Devices in Windows, ensure that the device drivers are installed properly:
Right-click the Start button
Click Device Manager
Right-click the Garmin device*under Other devices or*Portable devices
If it is unclear which device is the Garmin device unplug the*device, note which device disappears then reconnect the device after waiting 5 seconds
Click Update Driver Software
Click Browse my computer for driver software
Click Let me pick from a list of list of device drivers on my computer
Click Portable Devices
Click Next
Click MTP USB Device
Click Next*
When the installation completes, check to see if the device is recognized by the Garmin application

Thanks everyone, new lead etc no good but managed sort this via google searches so posting in case anyone else has this issue. Post from 2014 different garmin sat nav:

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/l0p9W9vsc37NJ3vH2b5pF6

for some reason something had knocked out my MTP driver, garmin support page found:

MTP devices will display*an orange icon on the screen when connected to the computer while mass storage devices will display a white icon. *If using a Windows10 computer with an MTP device and the device displays the connection screen but the device does not appear*under Portable Devices in Windows, ensure that the device drivers are installed properly:
Right-click the Start button
Click Device Manager
Right-click the Garmin device*under Other devices or*Portable devices
If it is unclear which device is the Garmin device unplug the*device, note which device disappears then reconnect the device after waiting 5 seconds
Click Update Driver Software
Click Browse my computer for driver software
Click Let me pick from a list of list of device drivers on my computer
Click Portable Devices
Click Next
Click MTP USB Device
Click Next*
When the installation completes, check to see if the device is recognized by the Garmin application

This thread, this post has saved me so much agro. Its was exactly what i had to do. Thank you.

My Nav V has decided not to connect anymore.
I've tried countless cables, USB ports time & again. Occasionally it will connect, then it's a mad rush to get everything done while the connection lasts. Mostly all I get is the connection screen on the Nav V but nothing showing on my PC,

My Nav V has decided not to connect anymore.
I've tried countless cables, USB ports time & again. Occasionally it will connect.....

Check drivers, first.

Hard re-set, second.

Return to BMW for (hopefully) a warranty repair or return to Garmin for repair or sell or lob in skip.

Back
Top Bottom