New Plymouth

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
23rd March 2017

A good night's sleep. I call my girlfriend and she tells me to check the news. I cut the call short when I see details of a terrorist attack in Westminster. My team's office is about 200 yards from the site, but I am relieved to find, after a quick text exchange with a friend, that no one from the team was involved...

IMG_3291-X3.jpg

It has rained overnight and there's a bright, high overcast, with bumbling groups of low-level cumulus being blown by a strong breeze out to sea. I get booted and suited and have the bike packed and running at 0930. I'm going to be retracing my steps for a while today, as I try to stay in good weather for the remainder of the trip. With this in mind, I'm staying in New Plymouth, some 100 miles northwest of here tonight...

IMG_3292-X3.jpg

I'm reasonably optimistic about the weather to begin with - the sky looks blue the way I'm headed and there is no precipitation forecast...

IMG_3295-X3.jpg

I follow this dyslexic rider and her ride partner (who has apparently forgotten to pack deodorant) for a while, until I reach Viv's Kitchen in Sanson...

IMG_3297-X3.jpg

...home of Dorri the Morrie - and they're open! (I find later that they close at 1500)

Now, what could they have on their menu that might do the trick...

IMG_3301-X3.jpg

Well, how about that...
DukeGirl.gif

Reinvigorated, I head back northwest on Highway 3 "The Surf Highway" - although you rarely get a glimpse of the sea from it...
tongue.gif

IMG_3306-X3.jpg

The low level cloud is increasing in volume - I think I'm going to get a little damp...

IMG_3308-X3.jpg

Sure enough, I run into a misty drizzle - like yesterday it isn't worth getting kitted up for...

IMG_3311-X3.jpg

...and it clears after 15 minutes or so...

IMG_3313-X3.jpg

I keep up a steady 105-109kph. Traffic is fairly light and it's a good road with very few roadworks...

IMG_3316-X3.jpg

Very smart clock tower in the town of Waverly...

IMG_3318-X3.jpg

...and a nicely designed Public Library in Patea...

IMG_3319-X3.jpg

Looks like the forecast might be making good after all. It has warmed by five degrees to 70°F and the offshore wind has dropped a little. The low cumulus is still wandering about, but doesn't look like it has the energy to rain any more...

IMG_3322-X3.jpg

Spotted this old gent parked outside a dairy...

IMG_3321-X3.jpg

No prizes, but can anyone give me make/model/year?

IMG_3324-X3.jpg

Onward!

IMG_3326-X3.jpg

I turned around to speak to the owner of this beauty as he pulled in to buy fuel. Dave has owned it 20 years and it hasn't been restored - just cared for...
thumb2.gif

IMG_3325-X3.jpg

As luck would have it, his local mechanic started his working life as an apprentice at a British Leyland main dealer in the UK and cut his teeth servicing these. Dave says it runs like a sewing machine and he drives it daily...

IMG_3328-X3.jpg

Bettie wants me to head inland and continue to retrace my steps, but I decide to stay on the coastal road - now designated Highway 45. As usual, she takes a bit of getting used to the idea, but eventually comes around to my way of thinking...
wink.gif

IMG_3330-X3.jpg

The farmer here was burning off a load of roots and stumps by the look of it. I don't know what wood it was, but the smoke was very aromatic and pleasant...

IMG_3331-X3.jpg

Went through Manaia - didn't see a single bakery...
ne_nau.gif

IMG_3332-X3.jpg

It starts to look threatening again, but it's all bluster - I've seen the last of rain for today...

IMG_3333-X3.jpg

Manaia Post Office - would make a good bakery...

IMG_3335-X3.jpg

Look at this old girl...

IMG_3334-X3.jpg

Not looking very loved, but what a classic shape...

IMG_3336-X3.jpg

I love the indicators...

IMG_3338-X3.jpg

Having a peer down the side of the (locked and empty) building...

IMG_3339-X3.jpg

...I'm guessing the owner is a Mercedes fan. Can anyone identify both/either?

IMG_3340-X3.jpg

Moving on...

IMG_3342-X3.jpg

I noticed these murals at Openake - very nicely done...

IMG_3346-X3.jpg

...and this old gangster parked outside a bar a few kilometres up the road...

IMG_3343-X3.jpg

...any guesses?

IMG_3349-X3.jpg

The sky is beginning to clear inland, giving me my first view today of Mount Taranaki...

IMG_3351-X3.jpg

Not far to go now - I'm finishing early as I have some admin to do and don't want to take a whole day off - plus I'm meeting up with Mike (young1 from ADVrider) and his good lady this evening, to have a beer...
thumb2.gif

IMG_3356-X3.jpg

I enter New Plymouth just after 1300 - it's a bustling, modern town...

IMG_3357-X3.jpg

...and an easy winner of the 'Who has the biggest clock tower?' competition I have been mentally running for the last 24 hours...
lol8.gif

IMG_3358-X3.jpg

I pull up outside the Quest Apartments and I'm quickly checked in, and directed to secure parking at the rear of the premises by the back door...

IMG_3360-X3.jpg

As expected, my room is excellent. I unpack, get a coffee from the Starbucks across the road (stop it - I can feel you judging me...), log onto the (moderately fast) Wi-Fi and start to upload today's pics...

Good day, if a short one...

IMG_3298-M.jpg

Mike, Lucky with that weather......the female rider probably had no choice in her licence plate selection, given that she was seeking effect and that 'VIXEN' is already taken (I am a little surprised that you haven't commented on the simplicity of being able to select a personalised 'personalised' plate (e.g. M0BSTER), compared to the awkwardness of the UK system.
Jeepers, that WAS a breakfast - triple eggs, too!
Surely the question begging everyone's mind from your splendid photos is, "where IS everybody?". You have seen some interesting provincial towns with architecture and features (banks, post offices) that were grand in their day when these were provincial (mostly agricultural) centres.....much as the country villages and towns in the U.K., 'urbanisation' and job dislocation has done for these towns. That and the general under-population.
Safe riding tomorrow...

1967-1973 Wolseley 1300
1956-1961 Mercedes Benz "Ponton" 190
1965-1972 Mercedes W108 engine size I am guessing to be 250 or 280.
The gangster is 1975 Chrysler Limo Oz assembled I think it was built with either a 6 cylinder hemi of about 4 litres or a over 5 litre V8

Adrian

Mike, Lucky with that weather......the female rider probably had no choice in her licence plate selection, given that she was seeking effect and that 'VIXEN' is already taken (I am a little surprised that you haven't commented on the simplicity of being able to select a personalised 'personalised' plate (e.g. M0BSTER), compared to the awkwardness of the UK system.
Jeepers, that WAS a breakfast - triple eggs, too!
Surely the question begging everyone's mind from your splendid photos is, "where IS everybody?". You have seen some interesting provincial towns with architecture and features (banks, post offices) that were grand in their day when these were provincial (mostly agricultural) centres.....much as the country villages and towns in the U.K., 'urbanisation' and job dislocation has done for these towns. That and the general under-population.
Safe riding tomorrow...

I was wondering about that, there seems to lots of space, most buildings are single storey, the streets in towns are wide, and it all looks very quiet. If you have a population problem, I'm sure the EU could find you some nice Rombulgskis to fill the place up a bit.

23rd March 2017 (cont)

So, at exactly 1715 I met Mike (young1 from ADVrider) outside the hotel and we take a stroll to...

IMG_3361-X3.jpg

...Peggy Gordon's Bar - an Irish pub (they appear in every corner of the world)
aidan.gif
, where we are joined by Mike's charming wife Leanne...

IMG_3364-X3.jpg

The lovely Zöe (from Driffield!) pulls the pints and Mike, Leanne and I drink them...

IMG_3368-X3.jpg

It is a very convivial evening, during which I am able to practice boring people with my stories verbally, rather than in deathless prose...

IMG_3372-X3.jpg

Later in the evening, Mike and Leanne take me to a Thai restaurant for dinner, where the main course is (somewhat insensitively) named Suicide Bomber...
yelrotflmao.gif

Mike is clearly a master of deception, or else drugged Leanne - no way he married up like that without some angle...
tongue.gif

Many thanks Mike & Leanne - look me up if you get to the UK!
thumb2.gif

1967-1973 Wolseley 1300 ✔ 1972

1956-1961 Mercedes Benz "Ponton" 190

1965-1972 Mercedes W108 engine size I am guessing to be 250 or 280. I will take you word for this:p

The gangster is 1975 Chrysler Limo Oz assembled I think it was built with either a 6 cylinder hemi of about 4 litres or a over 5 litre V8

Adrian

Good effort! :thumb2

Now THAT's a breakfast! Yesterday's was a bit disappointing IMHO. :D Lovely old Triumph that. How on earth did we feck up the UK motor industry when we could produce cars as good looking as that? Anyway ... great report young man. :thumb

Did you weigh yourself before starting this trip - you should do it again on getting home, or is that a normal breakfast for you?

Just wow yet again...

I was wondering about that, there seems to lots of space, most buildings are single storey, the streets in towns are wide, and it all looks very quiet. If you have a population problem, I'm sure the EU could find you some nice Rombulgskis to fill the place up a bit.

For goodness sake dont tell anyone.
We like it this way:beerjug:

Adrian

Lovely old Triumph that. How on earth did we feck up the UK motor industry when we could produce cars as good looking as that? Anyway ... great report young man. :thumb

New Zealand had the honour of building the last big Triumph Saloons late 1979 at the Nelson Factory in Stoke which is now the WOW Museum.

Adrian

Another great read. Really jealous of those breakfasts but not sure I could handle them every day. So far I seem to have counted about 20, in as many days. Mike, you getting your cholesterol levels checked once you get back home.....They'll be through the roof :D

New Zealand had the honour of building the last big Triumph Saloons late 1979 at the Nelson Factory in Stoke which is now the WOW Museum.

Adrian

You learn summat new every day! Maybe we should have had Kiwis in charge of the industry over here! :D

Not just a UK habit then:eek:

Attachments

• Using Phone.jpg
    Using Phone.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 254

Back
Top Bottom