zumo 395 and tyre waypoint issue

Arthurmo

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been creating some routes on Tyre and find when I import them onto the unit each route gives me a waypoint every 50 metres or so so I end up with so many I can't see the route. On the routes I've created (tour of spain) I've tried to keep the waypoints down to 4 or 5 has anyone else experienced this or have any advice?
thanks

See lots of threads and posts about Tyre, the creation and transfer of routes made in Tyre and how they can often become altered when transfered into a Garmin device.

See also lots of threads with advice on how to avoid the problems encountered when using two different forms of software for one task.

Still stuck? Google: Tyre to Garmin, or some such brief combination of words. Lots of information and videos out there. You'll have it cracked by tomorrow.

You could import your routes into BaseCamp & recalculate to see if what that brings.

Thanks for the replies. I tried google and a search but waypoints and zumo 395 oddly didn't bring much up. I take the point about base camp but have prepared a lot of routes for this trip on tyre which I've used with no problems on my other garmin. I was hoping it may be simple missed tick box somewhere.

I'm sure I'll have it cracked by tomorrow.

Contact the makers of Tyre and / or try their forum: http://www.tyretotravel.com

What I guess you are seeing is a mass of small 'breadcrumbs' or tiny individual dots that the software creates to fill in the gaps between shaping or waypoints. For users whom create their routes in Garmin BaseCamp or Mapsource software, the breadcrumbs are invisible. You have created your routes in Tyre, a non-Garmin piece of software, which you've then sent to your Garmin GPS device, where - for reasons unknown - the breadcrumbs maybe now appear.

Besides the chance of simple incompatibility creating the problem, there are a number of other possible causes. I'm not familiar with Tyre but here are some guesses or ideas for you to try:

1. Create a small, say 50 mile route in Tyre and send it to your Garmin device. Do the breadcrumbs appear? Yes? I suggest the simple 50 mile idea only to keep things simple whilst you muck about and try fixes

2. In what format is the route being exported from Tyre into the Garmin? It should, I think be .gpx

3. Can you alter the route's type in Tyre? For example, I read that you can create things called Tyre Tracks or something like that. If so, possibly a Track (or whatever Tyre calls it) carries the breadcrumbs with it? Have you tried mucking about in Tyre to see if you can alter the type of route to see if that makes a difference to the result?

4. Have you tried loading either BaseCamp or Mapsource onto your PC, then viewing the Tyre created route there? If not, try it. What do you see? Have you tried exporting the Tyre route from your PC to your GPS device via BaseCamp or Mapsource? What happens?

5. What happens if you display the Tyre route in BaseCamp or Mapsource on your PC, then hit recalculate and then export the route to your GPS device?

There really are so many variables that it's difficult for someone, not intimate with using Tyre and Garmin together, to help you. That being said, there are enough people (yourself included it seems) who do use Tyre and Garmin together without too many problems, to guess that the cure should be simple.

Report back with your news, please. Definitely let us know if you find a good / reliable answer to the cause of - and solution to - your problem. I'm sure it will help others.

Richard

Thanks for the replies. I tried google and a search but waypoints and zumo 395 oddly didn't bring much up. I take the point about base camp but have prepared a lot of routes for this trip on tyre which I've used with no problems on my other garmin. I was hoping it may be simple missed tick box somewhere.

I'm sure I'll have it cracked by tomorrow.

What model is your second Garmin which works ok?

Your routes sound more like Tracks.

I'm thinking much along the same lines as you, my friend.

Sometimes, when viewing a Track in Garmin's BaseCamp and Mapsource, you can see the breadcrumb trail, as lots of tiny dots. If the breadcrumbs carry themselves over in the conversion between Tyre and the device's Garmin based software and they then become visible, then it's logical to assume that you'd see something very similar to that seen by the OP.

Its been a while since I used Tyre but I seem to remember there are options for how a route is saved. Could it just be that the route needs to be saved in a different format?

I also agree with the advice about using a Garmin system rather than Tyre. Mapsource, or Basecamp if you must ,work properly with your device and you are then using the same maps for planning as those on the device. You can as move away from having so many waypoints on a route by using via points instead. I would only use waypoints for places you really want to visit. Your hotel or campsite for the night should always be a waypoint for instance but the interesting viewpoint along the way should not as you may well change plans and want to miss it out. By having your destination as a waypoint you ensure that it is then listed in Favourites so that should anything happen to the route or along the way it is a very simple matter to find it and get directions. I have found this particularly important when sharing a route within a group. Someone always gets lost,deletes the route by mistake or decides to cut out part of the route to get an early beer. I now ensure that everyone in the group knows how to find the destination in favorites before we set off. Often knowing that gives confidence to a rider and they are more relaxed knowing that if all else fails they will still get where they need to be.

John

My 660 works ok but it has older softer and I've contacted Tyre to ask. I think you're both right about it being seen as a track but on the newer software of the 395 it does show the way points and also the breadcrumb trail. I've loaded up a smaller route and it still does the same thing.. They are gpx files when loaded on the unit.Next stop to load base camp and try and import the maps

Thanks for the help I'm having a bike tech failure week my ultimate addons charger stopped working the innovvk1 cam things up the swanny and my spangley new sat navs playing up. I think the biking gods are trying to tell me to just ride!

Have you tried recalculating the route in BaseCamp or on the device? A GPX file can contain both route & track which will both show in BaseCamp. You can just import the route from your list & ignore the track.

cracked it.

You were right about the track thing. When you open tyre and go into tools and General preferences under the file tab it had only UTF-8 and GPX ticked. When you created a new route however it was also adding a tick to route track to that specified route.

Once again thanks for all the help. Wapping you were right it's cracked in a morning and I look forward to annoying you all in the basecamp threads.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom