TAT Shipping 2018

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
OK fellas, done a bit of work on this and what I'm going to do is supply a container for the shipping, do all your paperwork and load and unload it both ends. At the moment, I won't be doing a guided trip on teh TAT so this is just for shipping your bikes. All you have to worry about is planning your trip which will be fantastic and I'll do the rest. Here are the shipping dates

Unload the container Thursday 28th June 2018 in Townsend Tennessee
Reload the container on Tuesday 14th August 2018 in Santa Rosa California.

The container will be delivered into Townsend Tennessee and I will unload it. We use a great little outfit there called GSM Motorrent www.gsmmotorent.com where we unload bikes. When you get there, your bike and all your kit will be unloaded and ready for you. Dan there has a big workshop so can sort any issues that you may have before you embark on the TAT and it's only a few hours ride away. You would need to fly into Knoxville TN and then pick up a taxi. Dan has a couple of airstream caravans to rent and there is a motel and restaurant alongside. There is some great dirt riding in the area to test the bike before you go and the famous Tail of the Dragon is an hour away so you can do the 318 curves in 11 miles to wear your new knobblies in

I will reload the container in Santa Rosa Caifornia which is a days ride south from the end of the TAT. You simply ride up to the dealer I use there, leave your bike and kit and get yourself off home. I will do the rest. There are direct bus links to San Francisco airport and it couldn't be easier. Santa Rosa is a nice little town for a couple of days rest when you finish amd the motel we use is spot on.

This shipping price includes loading/unloading and all the customs paperwork so it really couldn't be easier.

This gives just over 6 weeks for anyone who wants to do the whole TAT which is very do-able in this time frame and it will be the ride of your life.

As part of the service, I will advise on all your mapping, prepping of the bike, insurance, EPA requirements, what to expect etc and walk you through the process. Basically, I'll do all the hard work for you so you turn up and ride. People who have been on my trips know it works well.

I have budgeted on taking 12 bikes with all the kit and I have 6 bikes already booked for this container. Let me know if you want to send your bike a.s.a.p and a deposit will secure your place.

When I get enough, I'll set up a meeting at ABW and we can go through teh whole thing.

Hi, we are still interested. Any idea what the cost of shipping will be. The reason I ask is that if paying out for shipping I may want to stay longer.

Cheers.

OK folks, this container to the US will definitely be on. I'll be in Townsend Tennessee where we will be in a couple of weeks so I'll just confirm the unloading facilities then we are good to go.

For anyone wnating just to take a road trip and not do the TAT, Townsend is a perfect start point as it's bang slap in the middle of the Smoky Mountains which have some of the best biking roads on the planet. You could spend a while there before heading west across to the West Coast to the loading point in Santa Rosa. You can drop your bike at anytime before we reload home and I'm happy to help with any routes you might want to take.

I'll set up a meeting up at Adventure Bike Warehouse for some time in August to discuss this trip.

Send me a pm and I'll yry answer you asap but please remember I'm running a USA Coast to Coast trip from June 17th so may be slow in answering. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it:thumb

OK folks, for all of you who are interested in doing the TAT next year, We'll be having a meeting up at Adventure Bike Warehouse in Manchester on Saturday 26th August at 2pm www.adventurebikewarehouse.co.uk.

I'll do a presentation of what you can expect to find when doing the TAT. I'll cover the bike shipping there and back, weather, road conditions, best choice of bike and of course all the mapping you need. It's not for the fainthearted but is a fantastic trip and something everyone should do once in their life.

Skygod will also be knocking up one of his devastating Chilli's so if nothing else, it will be a good ride out and a great destination for a summer Saturday.

If anyone is interested in doing the trip but can't make the meeting, please let know and I can e-mail you the presentation notes.

If anyone interested can't make the day

Hi any idea what time it might finish ?

I normally woffle on for a couple of hours but will be there until 5 ish I guess. There will be a number of people there who have done the TAT so everyone's questions should be answered.

Oh and by way of a change, Gaz is going all American on the job so there will be no Chili this time and instead proper hot dogs.

Streffords of Worcetser have very kindly let me use this SWM Superdual for teh weekend so I'll be bringing it up to Manchester with me.

Come and have a look at it and have a short ride.

Attachments

• SWM.JPG
    SWM.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 740
Just a heads up and a reminder for anyone wanting to get their bikes across for the TAT this year. Also this is ideal for anyone wanting a to do a nice gentle tour across the USA.

You can collect your bike in Knoxville anytime after we unload and deliver into Santa Rosa at a time and date convenient to yourselves before I reload.

Happy to help with route ideas and options if you need it.

I'll just bump this to the top as I have a few spaces left on this container.

Even if you aren't doing the TAT and fancy a roadtrip in the USA, this could be the thing for you.

Knoxville is in a superb location with Deals Gap on the doorstep and some fantastic road riding in the area. From there you can hit it across to the West Coast through some superb scenery and on some of the best roads of your life. You can leave your bike in Santa Rosa at anytime to suit you and I'll take care of the reloading etc etc.

I can help with routes etc etc so it's a great opportunity to do something different this year.

Back
Top Bottom