Iphone music on Navigator VI

Not saying you are, but mine often says “device connected “
over the sena but when you look into the settings the media hasn’t connected.

The Uclear is pretty reliable at connecting, I can play music if I do it from the phone, I can use the iPhone as a regular Bluetooth media source, but can't directly browse music on the iphone, just sits again forever at the transferring data screen. I'm more inclined to think it's an iOS issue as it's happening with a lot of other iPhone owners and various Bluetooth music devices. The Garmin default answer seems to be "Factory reset" then not bother responding again afterwards.

Yes, when I use the iPhone for music(which I hardly ever do as I have an sdcard in the unit) it says transferring like yours does but still plays via iPhone again like yours.

It’s a Garmin issue - they are just doing what Bmw tell them though - fuck all.
Doesn’t matter if it’s Apple, Spotify, Deezer or others - the issue is that it fails to communicate and pull down the info.
Notice it doesn’t happen on their own units without the Bmw restrictions.....

V was the same - Garmin had Spotify app link for several years but Bmw blocked them from adding it to the V rom in updates!

It’s a Garmin issue - they are just doing what Bmw tell them though - fuck all.
Doesn’t matter if it’s Apple, Spotify, Deezer or others - the issue is that it fails to communicate and pull down the info.
Notice it doesn’t happen on their own units without the Bmw restrictions.....

V was the same - Garmin had Spotify app link for several years but Bmw blocked them from adding it to the V rom in updates!

Possibly, but it worked perfectly in iOS 10.3, with both Apple Music and Spotify, for me it "Broke" in iOS 11, I posted earlier in the thread with pictures of it working without any issues. I'm going to push my phone back to iOS 10.3 as iOS11 is pretty poor at the moment with call quality and battery drain on my 7 Plus. I'll report back.

5 minutes ago, a fresh reply from Garmin Support, ignoring the information I put in the initial support request and the subsequent reply. They are fun to deal with :)

From: Product.Support@garmin.com [mailto:product.Support@garmin.com]
Sent: 18 October 2017 09:12
To: Tony Law <tony.law@at-cc.com>
Subject: Re: Navigator VI,LM,GPS,BMW,NA,AOEM - iPhone Control <Q#:1000051> << Reference ID: 10407820K0 >>

Dear Anthony
First of all, please accept our apologies for not answering your email in the time we quoted on our website. Due to an unforeseeable high volume of emails and calls we’ve received this has led to a backlog, which we’ve been working hard to restore to our usual service levels.
I would recommend performing a master reset of your device. A master reset will erase all favourites and will restore your device to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up the favourites to your computer, you can do so via the Garmin Express application. To download the application and view the installation instructions, please click the link below: http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
Please click this link and follow the steps on the guide to get instructions on how to perform a master reset of your device: http://static.garmincdn.com/shared/uk/customer-care/Master_reset_instructions.pdf
If this does not resolve the issue, then I would suggest that you update the software on your device using the Garmin Express application. To download the application and view the installation instructions, please click the link: http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
For a step by step guide to assist you with this, please click the relevant link below:
• Windows: http://static.garmincdn.com/shared/uk/customer-care/Updating_device_software_in_Express.pdf
• Mac: http://static.garmincdn.com/shared/uk/customer-care/Updating_device_software_in_Express_Mac.pdf
Kind regards,
Chris
Garmin Europe

I’m thinking the same, going back to ios10 with my 7plus as well but there are some features I like. Battery life has improved since the last update

i got the same reply from garmin there is a clear issue but they are ignoring it i personally think its a hardware issue and will cost to resolve i was hoping that garmin would have a stand at the motorcycle show at the new so i could embarrass them in public but their not there

i cannot even make phone calls or accept them through the sat nav it goes through the motions but no sound FFS

You could probably understand it if it was a £99 Halfords job but not what these things cost.

Instead of emailing Garmin, why not just phone the support desk, yes you may have to wait, but every time I have got through, they have been really good and supported me with my Nav V issues.

I've tried, but they had "High call volumes" and my break was over, so got through on WebChat, who advised me to email.

No such thing as a high call volume, it's not enough staff :)

Possibly, but it worked perfectly in iOS 10.3, with both Apple Music and Spotify, for me it "Broke" in iOS 11, I posted earlier in the thread with pictures of it working without any issues. I'm going to push my phone back to iOS 10.3 as iOS11 is pretty poor at the moment with call quality and battery drain on my 7 Plus. I'll report back.

I had the same issue with mine recently, what cured was to delete most of my songs from the Iphone and now it communicates fine again.
I listen to tunein radio and spotify so it may not help you if you play a lot from the iphone
Mts

OK folks, I'm actually speaking to someone at Garmin who knows what they are doing and I've been doing some logging for them and returned the data back to Garmin for analysis. Just for anyone else experiencing the problems here's the procedure to get the logging information Garmin will need to help you out.

Dear Tony,

I am contacting you in regards to your case.
To assist you with the problems you are experiencing with Bluetooth, we will need to gather Bluetooth logs for your device. You may use the following directions to record the logs. This allows us to determine the cause of the problem. Before following through the steps below, please ensure that the affected devices are not currently paired.
Please start with the iPhone unpaired from the BMW NAV VI
To record Bluetooth logs:
1. Touch the Volume button on the main menu
2. Touch and hold the upper-right corner of the volume screen
3. When the screen changes (between 5-10 seconds), touch Diagnostic Logging
4. Touch Start Recording
o Touch General on some devices before this step
1. Place a check mark next to BIN or binary by touching the box
2. Place a check mark next to Bluetooth by touching the box
3. Touch the menu button (three horizontal lines) in the top-left corner
4. Touch Start
o You should be taken to the map screen once this step is completed
Next, pair the device to your cell phone and/or headset (pairing with a headset is only available on certain devices). Use the device as you have been for media, testing the various Bluetooth functions you are experiencing trouble with.
Wait 5 minutes (verify that media is still not browseable)
Once you’ve recorded the logs, touch the Stop button on the left-hand side of the map screen and hold the back arrow until the main menu displays.
Next, please reply to this email and attach the log files. You can find the log files by following these steps:
1. Connect the device to your computer
2. Open the Garmin drive once the device is recognized
o This drive will appear either in Computer or My Computer (Windows) or on the Desktop (Mac)
1. Open the Logs folder
o If you’re using a Windows computer, you may have to open the Internal Storage item before this step
1. Open the bin folder
2. Please attach all files within this folder to your email reply
Once we have the Bluetooth logs we’ll research the issue further. Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation.

One thing I've seen with looking at some of the System Logs myself is there are a lot of Application Crashes within the Garmin itself, which could account for it just going mute on me whenever it feels like it, so I've sent the Syslogs to Garmin to. There's something not right about the Nav VI, possibly a combination of things as it used to work fine on iOS 10.3, but even reverting to that yields nothing positive. There is either something corrupt, a file on the Garmin somewhere, or the unit itself may be faulty. My money is on some kind of File or System corruption somewhere, which is odd as I've done a full hard reset on mine several times now and tried it with no routes imported or additional GPX files, and I've stripped all the music from my iPhone leaving only one album to try and browse.

I'll update as and when I hear back from Garmin folks.

Great work that Tony. My Nav v1 has been fine so far, it connects each time to the Sena headset, and the iPhone. I have music on the SE card so have not tried to stream anything as yet, the reason for that is the battery in my iPhone 7 is shite and would prob last two or three hours while streaming .
Hope they have a good look at your logs and sort the issue

Got this back today from Garmin, followed by a customer satisfaction survey :)

Dear Tony,
Thank you for the logs and all the information you have sent.

We have two ongoing investigations about the Navigator VI, one for the issue with Apple Music and one for the issue with communication with Smartphone Link.

We do appreciate your patience. I have kept your contact details so we can get in touch when we have more news about a resolution on these.

Back
Top Bottom