The Nod!

speedofile

Reaction score
So, I take my daughter out over the weekend for a nice ride to Newlands Corner and then to Brighton for breakfast, lovely day, great company (awesome GS to get us there). When riding and seeing other bikes, I would nod to say hi...

My daughter asks me when we get to Brighton, why not one of the BMW riders nod back and yet everyone else does? She commented that they obviously think they are better than everyone else...interesting observation from a 14 year old keen (to be) biker!

Is The Nod a dying thing then?

I'm assuming that you refer to the two fingered salute you were introduced to on your induction?

:blast

So I can assume that the UKGSer wave is the middle finger? And also that if you nod to say hi, that you're a wanker?

I have often wondered why Jonnie foreigner does that two fingers greeting, I do it back to be polite obviously.

I always nod, sometimes I salute if they're on the same bike (GSA LC), LOL. Very few bikers I pass fail to nod, or wave as is more common on the continent... almost all the bikers I meet acknowledge each other in some way in my experience. I like it, it'll be a shame if we stop doing it.

I always nod, sometimes I salute if they're on the same bike (GSA LC), LOL. Very few bikers I pass fail to nod, or wave as is more common on the continent... almost all the bikers I meet acknowledge each other in some way in my experience. I like it, it'll be a shame if we stop doing it.

I tend to agree with you, but obviously some people here don't agree, which is why I thought I would ask. I do it out of habit and always have done, but it seems like BMW riders over the weekend were the only ones that didn't.

I always nod, but often don't get one back.... often I think it's because I am on a gs. Wankers:D

So, I take my daughter out over the weekend for a nice ride to Newlands Corner and then to Brighton for breakfast, lovely day, great company (awesome GS to get us there). When riding and seeing other bikes, I would nod to say hi...

My daughter asks me when we get to Brighton, why not one of the BMW riders nod back and yet everyone else does? She commented that they obviously think they are better than everyone else...interesting observation from a 14 year old keen (to be) biker!

I don't actually think this is true, almost every bike I see gives me the nod and usually BMW riders are a bit more enthusiastic with a wave too.
So why do they not wave at you?

Out here in the sticks we obviously have more gentlemen bikers as the majority nod...:thumby:

I always acknowledge. Almost everyone i see nods or waves where I am in Warwickshire. There's the odd one or two who don't.

There's a guy I regularly pass on my commute, he's never waved, nodded or even glanced in my direction in what is probably 10 plus years. I wave every time I see him just to piss him off.

I'm guessing you just happened on the weekend warriors who aren't bikers really but own one coz it's cool, only ride once in the dry then spend the rest of the weekend polishing..... or they all just happened to be checking their instruments and didn't see you.

Clive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to pass anyone - and leave them feeling that they are being ignored......................

I hate to pass anyone - and leave them feeling that they are being ignored......................

Yes I may well adopt that greeting , although a little concerned that a Police man might suggest I wasn't in full control of the machine

:yelrotflm I needed that after a long day!

May have just been an off day, more bikes out this week and everyone seems to be greeting

Last year in the Provence Alps, I passed a sportsbike rider coming towards me - he was banked right over on his left side, knee down. He took his left hand off the bar, and acknowledged me by trailing his left hand fingers on the tarmac .............:eek:

Looked cool as feck :bow

Al

Back
Top Bottom