Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Anyone in Christchurch, NZ... help for my Biker son needed -

  1. #1
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ely
    Posts
    347

    Anyone in Christchurch, NZ... help for my Biker son needed -

    Reaching out to any tossers who are based in Christchurch, New Zealand.
    My 20-year-old son is trying to buy a bike to travel around the South Island for six months. He has his eye on one or two and following our chat this morning on face time, he is looking at a couple of cheap bikes. I have given in all the usual advice about starting the bike from cold, riding history, listening for Knocking, etc. testing bearings etc. Checking the chain and sprockets.

    However, I was wondering whether there was anyone out there in NZ who he could go to for advice when reviewing the bike so he doesn't get ripped off. If you know anyone, either personally, or a bike shop in Christchurch who could go over the bike to give it a health check, before he sets off... or just help him out, it would be amazing....

    I know its a long shot but if there's any advice would be welcome

  2. #2
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ely
    Posts
    347
    Has anyone got a friend or a relative out there? Just a thought....

  3. #3
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Salisbury
    Posts
    1,146
    If you read MikeO's latest exploits in NZ - some locals give comment. I would ping them a PM and take it from there.

  4. #4
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ely
    Posts
    347
    good idea... i will get on it.. thnx bud

  5. #5
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Posts
    126

    Kia Ora

    Tena Koe

    Unfortunately I am based in Auckland so not too much help, and also mechanically inept.

    My only bit of advice is get good weatherproof gear. Winter is on its way and the sheep are migrating to the lowlands.

    Brilliant part of the world to experience on a bike though.

    Happy to be any help I can.

    Haere Ra
    "You're getting old when you don't care where your spouse goes, just as
    long as you don't have to go along. "

  6. #6
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Herefordshire
    Posts
    798
    Got friends in Havelock, they moved out there from Scotland about 5 years ago.., i'll FB them to see if they know anyone that could help

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlEly View Post
    Reaching out to any tossers who are based in Christchurch, New Zealand.
    My 20-year-old son is trying to buy a bike to travel around the South Island for six months. He has his eye on one or two and following our chat this morning on face time, he is looking at a couple of cheap bikes. I have given in all the usual advice about starting the bike from cold, riding history, listening for Knocking, etc. testing bearings etc. Checking the chain and sprockets.

    However, I was wondering whether there was anyone out there in NZ who he could go to for advice when reviewing the bike so he doesn't get ripped off. If you know anyone, either personally, or a bike shop in Christchurch who could go over the bike to give it a health check, before he sets off... or just help him out, it would be amazing....

    I know its a long shot but if there's any advice would be welcome

  7. #7
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ely
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by haditlowered View Post
    Got friends in Havelock, they moved out there from Scotland about 5 years ago.., i'll FB them to see if they know anyone that could help
    Many thnx, much appreciated:-)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Herefordshire
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlEly View Post
    Many thnx, much appreciated:-)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Some success managed to get Kerry on FB , (friends in Havelock) they have a good friend in Christchurch who rides so she has msg'd him... just awaiting a response....

  9. #9
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ely
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by haditlowered View Post
    Some success managed to get Kerry on FB , (friends in Havelock) they have a good friend in Christchurch who rides so she has msg'd him... just awaiting a response....
    Cool, cheers bro


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Herefordshire
    Posts
    798
    Have pm'd you a the contact in Christchurch,he's happy to help

  11. #11
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ely
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi66 View Post
    Tena Koe

    Unfortunately I am based in Auckland so not too much help, and also mechanically inept.

    My only bit of advice is get good weatherproof gear. Winter is on its way and the sheep are migrating to the lowlands.

    Brilliant part of the world to experience on a bike though.

    Happy to be any help I can.

    Haere Ra
    cheers, and thanks very much. he will be heading up to Auckland at some point, so i will bear this in mind...

    cheers,

    Alan

  12. #12
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ely
    Posts
    347
    thanks to all the contacts, especially Mike O and haditlowered who have been brilliant.

    my son has bought himself 2004 Suzuki 250 Cruiser thanks to haditlowered he now has someone to contact to help him get it looked over and get his health chek, and his kit....

    this is the forum working aat its best

    cheers all,

    Alan

  13. #13
    Not all who wander are lost... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    1,138

    Horizons Unlimited

    Get on Horizons Unlimited and join the Christchurch, NZ community.

    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/connect/contact

  14. #14
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ely
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass View Post
    Get on Horizons Unlimited and join the Christchurch, NZ community.

    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/connect/contact
    thnx Bud, i will pass that on to my son...

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    981

    Click here to find out how to remove these ads

    Just read this. Sadly I'm in Welly and don't have direct CHC contacts. But there's a good bunch of folk on Adventure Riding New Zealand - best contact via facebook for the quickest response.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/AdventureRidinginNZ/

    Also try the facebook page: South Islands Greatest Motorcycle Rides
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/401322080071484/

    I understand your cause for concern, but in general Kiwi's are a great bunch of people & the eBay attitude of ripping off buyers hasn't quite reached TradeMe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"