Thread: Anyone in Christchurch, NZ... help for my Biker son needed -

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Anyone in Christchurch, NZ... help for my Biker son needed -

Reaching out to any tossers who are based in Christchurch, New Zealand.
    My 20-year-old son is trying to buy a bike to travel around the South Island for six months. He has his eye on one or two and following our chat this morning on face time, he is looking at a couple of cheap bikes. I have given in all the usual advice about starting the bike from cold, riding history, listening for Knocking, etc. testing bearings etc. Checking the chain and sprockets.

However, I was wondering whether there was anyone out there in NZ who he could go to for advice when reviewing the bike so he doesn't get ripped off. If you know anyone, either personally, or a bike shop in Christchurch who could go over the bike to give it a health check, before he sets off... or just help him out, it would be amazing....

I know its a long shot but if there's any advice would be welcome

Has anyone got a friend or a relative out there? Just a thought....

If you read MikeO's latest exploits in NZ - some locals give comment. I would ping them a PM and take it from there.

good idea... i will get on it.. thnx bud

Kia Ora

Tena Koe

Unfortunately I am based in Auckland so not too much help, and also mechanically inept.

My only bit of advice is get good weatherproof gear. Winter is on its way and the sheep are migrating to the lowlands.

Brilliant part of the world to experience on a bike though.

Happy to be any help I can.

Haere Ra
    "You're getting old when you don't care where your spouse goes, just as
    long as you don't have to go along. "

Got friends in Havelock, they moved out there from Scotland about 5 years ago.., i'll FB them to see if they know anyone that could help

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlEly View Post
    Reaching out to any tossers who are based in Christchurch, New Zealand.
    My 20-year-old son is trying to buy a bike to travel around the South Island for six months. He has his eye on one or two and following our chat this morning on face time, he is looking at a couple of cheap bikes. I have given in all the usual advice about starting the bike from cold, riding history, listening for Knocking, etc. testing bearings etc. Checking the chain and sprockets.

However, I was wondering whether there was anyone out there in NZ who he could go to for advice when reviewing the bike so he doesn't get ripped off. If you know anyone, either personally, or a bike shop in Christchurch who could go over the bike to give it a health check, before he sets off... or just help him out, it would be amazing....

I know its a long shot but if there's any advice would be welcome

Quote Originally Posted by haditlowered View Post
    Got friends in Havelock, they moved out there from Scotland about 5 years ago.., i'll FB them to see if they know anyone that could help
    Many thnx, much appreciated:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlEly View Post
    Many thnx, much appreciated:-)

Some success managed to get Kerry on FB , (friends in Havelock) they have a good friend in Christchurch who rides so she has msg'd him... just awaiting a response....

Quote Originally Posted by haditlowered View Post
    Some success managed to get Kerry on FB , (friends in Havelock) they have a good friend in Christchurch who rides so she has msg'd him... just awaiting a response....
    Cool, cheers bro

Have pm'd you a the contact in Christchurch,he's happy to help

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi66 View Post
    Tena Koe

Unfortunately I am based in Auckland so not too much help, and also mechanically inept.

My only bit of advice is get good weatherproof gear. Winter is on its way and the sheep are migrating to the lowlands.

Brilliant part of the world to experience on a bike though.

Happy to be any help I can.

Haere Ra
    cheers, and thanks very much. he will be heading up to Auckland at some point, so i will bear this in mind...

cheers,

Alan

thanks to all the contacts, especially Mike O and haditlowered who have been brilliant.

my son has bought himself 2004 Suzuki 250 Cruiser thanks to haditlowered he now has someone to contact to help him get it looked over and get his health chek, and his kit....

this is the forum working aat its best

cheers all,

Alan

Not all who wander are lost... Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Horizons Unlimited

Get on Horizons Unlimited and join the Christchurch, NZ community.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/connect/contact

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass View Post
    Get on Horizons Unlimited and join the Christchurch, NZ community.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/connect/contact
    thnx Bud, i will pass that on to my son...

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Just read this. Sadly I'm in Welly and don't have direct CHC contacts. But there's a good bunch of folk on Adventure Riding New Zealand - best contact via facebook for the quickest response.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/AdventureRidinginNZ/

Also try the facebook page: South Islands Greatest Motorcycle Rides
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/401322080071484/

I understand your cause for concern, but in general Kiwi's are a great bunch of people & the eBay attitude of ripping off buyers hasn't quite reached TradeMe