Snapped Chain 2012 Sertao

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just fitted a new battery today as the last one spontaneously died this week, went for a run and the chain snapped, luckily it was only about a mile from home so not too far to push. Chain has only done 7.5k and I have always had a chain oiler fitted. Chain has snapped across both link plates and looking at it,its very poor quality, in fact the cheapest replacement is BMW OEM so I assume they are made from chocolate. I have ordered a new DID X heavy duty replacement and new JT sprockets. The rear was not too bad the front has signs of hooking and again appear to be poor quality. Any one else managed to snap one? first time I've ever had it happen on any of the numerous bikes I've owned in 30 plus years.

They say things happen in threes, I wonder whats next to go!

Check the bolts that hold the rear subframe to mainframe just under yer seat> LHS one loosens and traps wiring loom. I always measure the slack on me chain just while the suspension is compressed and bike stood up straight. Got 18000 out of original C&S and sprockets were still in quite useable condition.
Great bike if yer fit a 14 ont front end but it tops out/cuts out at 93mph (GPS) ive heard.

DID X chains are good, I always use DID VX2 on all my bikes :beerjug:

Yes, OE ones on the xchallenges weren't great either. Like Tim says, DID vx2s are a good replacement.

Just fitted a new battery today as the last one spontaneously died this week, went for a run and the chain snapped, luckily it was only about a mile from home so not too far to push. Chain has only done 7.5k and I have always had a chain oiler fitted. Chain has snapped across both link plates and looking at it,its very poor quality, in fact the cheapest replacement is BMW OEM so I assume they are made from chocolate. I have ordered a new DID X heavy duty replacement and new JT sprockets. The rear was not too bad the front has signs of hooking and again appear to be poor quality. Any one else managed to snap one? first time I've ever had it happen on any of the numerous bikes I've owned in 30 plus years.

They say things happen in threes, I wonder whats next to go!

Was that the Motobatt you bought from me Bob ?

No Del, that was for the GSA, interestingly it also died and was replaced last month. It was the OEM Exide one in the Sertao that died this week, have replaced with a motobatt too.

When a chain snaps which luckily has never happened to me, the inconvenience and expense is one consideration however it's the danger that would concern me.

I know it's not comparable but I snapped the chain on my CCM644 a few weeks ago, it was a JT chain and had only done 1800 miles & the previous DID had 7000k. The JT seemed to be always in need of adjustment so I might have just been unlucky and got a bad one, the replacement DID I fitted has done 2k miles and I haven't had to adjust yet.
Count yourself lucky that the chain didn't take a chunk out of your gearbox casing and/or lock up and throw you off the bike :blast

Another fan of DID VX2. Rivet link too as I can never bring myself to trust a split link.

I know it's not comparable but I snapped the chain on my CCM644 a few weeks ago, it was a JT chain and had only done 1800 miles & the previous DID had 7000k. The JT seemed to be always in need of adjustment so I might have just been unlucky and got a bad one, the replacement DID I fitted has done 2k miles and I haven't had to adjust yet.
Count yourself lucky that the chain didn't take a chunk out of your gearbox casing and/or lock up and throw you off the bike :blast

Unfortunately it did take a chunk of the casing, luckily it was a weaker spot that had a thread on it to hold the front sprocket cover, snapped the threaded portion off and even bent the allen bolt. Repaired it with epoxy putty, drilled and re-tapped it, so I hope it will hold up, guess I got away lightly.

Unfortunately it did take a chunk of the casing, luckily it was a weaker spot that had a thread on it to hold the front sprocket cover, snapped the threaded portion off and even bent the allen bolt. Repaired it with epoxy putty, drilled and re-tapped it, so I hope it will hold up, guess I got away lightly.

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom