Eagle Riders US Tours

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In October I will be heading out to LA for a "custom made" tour presented by Eagle Riders. Birthday present from my brother. Him coming from NZ and me from Holland for 8 days riding through the National parks in Southern and Mid California. We diverted from their usual package tours as this was far too much blah-blah and not really enough riding. We have a custom package with 2 bikes. All good so far however..... I am noticing some issues though with Eagle Riders and wanted any input.

I have repeatedly asked for them to advise what sort of Navigation system they use. We have paid the extra $25 a day for a pre-programmed Navigation system. The answer I get is they have their own type of navigation unit which is not compatible with "normal" GPS units. Call me dumb but I only know of Garmin & Tom Tom (BMW Navigators being basically Garmin anyway).

I have asked them to provide us with the gpx files of the routes so I can review them in my own PC with BaseCamp. Cant get a straight answer from them on this one other than the point above.

Whilst I understand that commercial interests prevail but why cant I have the electronic data so I can review? Maybe we want to make a couple of changes. Again no real comprehensive answer and only avoiding the issue.

Anyone else had experience with these guys? So far I am really reluctant to recommend them to anyone going forward if they cant even work this one out.

Look forward to hearing.

Guess they simply don't want to share. But why pay EagleRider to plan your vacation, why not simply rent the bikes and go on your own merry way? There is no place on earth that is easier to travel than USA.

In October I will be heading out to LA for a "custom made" tour presented by Eagle Riders. Birthday present from my brother. Him coming from NZ and me from Holland for 8 days riding through the National parks in Southern and Mid California. We diverted from their usual package tours as this was far too much blah-blah and not really enough riding. We have a custom package with 2 bikes. All good so far however..... I am noticing some issues though with Eagle Riders and wanted any input.

I have repeatedly asked for them to advise what sort of Navigation system they use. We have paid the extra $25 a day for a pre-programmed Navigation system. The answer I get is they have their own type of navigation unit which is not compatible with "normal" GPS units. Call me dumb but I only know of Garmin & Tom Tom (BMW Navigators being basically Garmin anyway).

I have asked them to provide us with the gpx files of the routes so I can review them in my own PC with BaseCamp. Cant get a straight answer from them on this one other than the point above.

Whilst I understand that commercial interests prevail but why cant I have the electronic data so I can review? Maybe we want to make a couple of changes. Again no real comprehensive answer and only avoiding the issue.

Anyone else had experience with these guys? So far I am really reluctant to recommend them to anyone going forward if they cant even work this one out.

Look forward to hearing.

I spent 6 weeks touring Alaska and most of the lower 48 with only maps. Every state gas station sells them and when you get near a state border they sell the ones for the other states. I used to buy the laminated ones so rain didn't affect them. If you want to use a sat-nav just search for your destination and follow it.

Eagle Rider are not cheap but from my brief experience they are pro

I hired a bike just for one day in Las Vegas and was very well looked after, didn't have a GPS but I think they used TomToms

booked with them for 6 of us, quite a few years ago.... not impressed. out of 6 of us only one of us got the bike we ordered/preferred. i know they cant guarantee your choices, "its in the small print buddy" the helmets they provided were shit... didn't fit, knackered and gnarled... take your own! and gloves too. the bikes were old... check what year you are getting. they may have got their act together in recent years :rolleyes:

rant over... to your point. we traveled 2000 miles in two weeks, San Fran - LA - Las Vegas - Lake Havasu - Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix... all on maps and signposts. took in loads of other smaller 'must see' places along the routes. we only got lost in San - Fran - LA and Phoenix, but it made it fay more fun. the roads are straight and square in the cities and towns - you really cant get lost, it just takes more time to get there!

have a chat over a beer each night, head to wher you want to be, then Ride! you will be too busy admiring the scenery to worry about looking at the nav..... honestly.

cancel the navs, spend the money on burgers and beer.... enjoy the trip, it will be awesome!:beerjug::thumby::tarka

I found Eagle Rider in LV Avery good and the head honcho their made a few recommendations to my route....

Have you spoken to the person who is planning your route, they could be a right unimaginative prick.

thanks all.

picking up on some of the points.....

Yes, we are in regular contact with the guy planning the trip. We've put him under a fair bit of pressure to come up with something worthwhile. Originally custom made 8 days tour involved only 3 full days actual riding! Arrival Saturday, travel to Vegas on Sunday, pick up bikes Monday, Ride Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, drop bikes Friday fly Saturday... WTF???
So we basically told him what we wanted. Pick up bikes already Saturday, ride Sunday to Friday. Saturday AFTERNOON drop bike & fly Sunday.

Agree probably could have done it all better ourselves afterall I lived in LA for 4 years.... however my brother wanted to arrange it through Eagle... and he's footing the bill including flights....

I have the so called DayBook they have provided which is basically a turn by turn instruction and all the blah blah on what to do and what to see. I'm gonna try and figure out what they have done and if necessary change some stuff here and get a map.

As BigAlEly says, we really want to enjoy this one.....

Good point BigAlEly made about lids !

We managed to find 2 ragged old piss pots, the rest they had were those skull cap things, give you about as much protection as a kippa :blast

Take your own helmet !

The US is simple mate and on all my trips I only use maps. The sat nav is there just to check things like time to destination, altitude etc and where the motel is in town if you have pre booked it.

The Eagle rider tours, and other like Hadrian V twin, are designed for very easy riding, people who aren't regular riders or just the usual HD sunday morning riders.

Use their route as a base, buy some good maps and enjoy the ride.

Oh, as you are there in October, take some warm kit for evenings as temps will be dropping as it gets dark.

Three of us have just booked our bikes with them through the UK agent, http://www.thelostadventure.com. I queried some of the reports I'd read about old tired machines. Apparently the fleet have all been upgraded.

We have three weeks going from Chicago to LA in June, so if there are problems I'll post accordingly.

I've travelled a fair bit in the states and agree with those that suggest maps. The road system is easy to follow and the odd wrong turn can make it more fun. I sways found a small compass handy as it's easy to get disorientated in a grid system.

If you do want the convenience and safety of a sat nav I have always bought a device with US maps and sold it afterwards. Just checked eBay and Amazon and TomTom and Garmin second hand devices start at leas than £50 and new ones start at less than £100. Your sat nav rental will be $200 assuming you are only getting one device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting a bit annoyed with the guy at Eagle Riders. All very nice and friendly superficially but when push comes to shove nothing really doing and not very flexible. So far I would not recommend them but hey, I haven't even started the tour yet. I asked from some modification to their proposed (custom made I should add) routes and it all seems too much; "route has been planned already", 'feel free to make any deviations you want sir" etc. Jeez, we're not going until October, what cant still be adjusted.....?
Taking above recommendations into account we're going to use maps and just have the GPS unit as standby. Next time I'm organizing my own trip, arranging bikes myself and doing it all myself. Maybe even share all the details on here so others can benefit at no cost.
By the way in 2018 we're riding the Smoky Mountains Park and amount others the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala skyway... this one without Eagle Riders or anyone else....

Getting a bit annoyed with the guy at Eagle Riders. All very nice and friendly superficially but when push comes to shove nothing really doing and not very flexible. So far I would not recommend them but hey, I haven't even started the tour yet. I asked from some modification to their proposed (custom made I should add) routes and it all seems too much; "route has been planned already", 'feel free to make any deviations you want sir" etc. Jeez, we're not going until October, what cant still be adjusted.....?
Taking above recommendations into account we're going to use maps and just have the GPS unit as standby. Next time I'm organizing my own trip, arranging bikes myself and doing it all myself. Maybe even share all the details on here so others can benefit at no cost.
By the way in 2018 we're riding the Smoky Mountains Park and amount others the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala skyway... this one without Eagle Riders or anyone else....

We are riding that in June on our own bikes :p There are some epic roads in that area and the Tail of the Dragon is OK but can pain in the ass half way up or down. Too many slow corners and muppets on Harleys but good if you catchg it right.

Much better option than renting in my opinion and let me know if you want help shipping yours if you want an option. I have a container of bikes going into Townsend TN next June:thumb

We are riding that in June on our own bikes :p There are some epic roads in that area and the Tail of the Dragon is OK but can pain in the ass half way up or down. Too many slow corners and muppets on Harleys but good if you catchg it right.

Much better option than renting in my opinion and let me know if you want help shipping yours if you want an option. I have a container of bikes going into Townsend TN next June:thumb

thanks, I'll throw it in the group. Own bikes is always better.

Back
Top Bottom