Nurburgring

Haven't been for years after going a lot in my sportsbike days, 9:41 is about as quick as I got and that was on my mille R so it's certainly a good effort on a GS.

Interesting article in this months RiDE magazine about the ring and insurance. Some bloke had written in asking if it was legal for his insurance to exclude the ring by name as lots of insurance policies do these days, either that or they exclude "unidirectional toll roads".

The answer was that of course it was legal, an insurer can place any conditions they like as long as they include them in the small print which we all read, don't we!!

More worrying was the legal bods opinion that as it has the status of a public road then you are effectively riding without insurance. Meaning you could be prosecuted for this in Germany, potentially have the bike seized and if found to have caused an accident be personally liable, effectively they could come after your house, pension and any other assets you had.
Obviously all unlikely but it could be disastrous for somebody.

This is very much a precis of the comment but worth a read next time you are standing in a supermarket.

My club's bi-annual 'Ring trip is at the end of May. Fifty of us for 4 nights in a hotel not far away (plus a night each way for me and a few others, keeping off the superslab). The thought of the 'Ring and the other nutters on it scares me shitless, so I'll not bother - again.

My club's bi-annual 'Ring trip is at the end of May. Fifty of us for 4 nights in a hotel not far away (plus a night each way for me and a few others, keeping off the superslab). The thought of the 'Ring and the other nutters on it scares me shitless, so I'll not bother - again.

Simple solution....turn up at an evening session. Watch the madness, buy a lap. 7.10pm get kitted up and through the barrier, then pull over to adjust gloves and visor just long enough to see them pull the wooden barriers to stop further traffic getting out. Set off and bimble the first mile or two until all remaining traffic has passed you and then ride it as you wish.

Simple solution....turn up at an evening session. Watch the madness, buy a lap. get kitted up and through the barrier, then pull over to adjust gloves and visor just long enough to see them pull the wooden barriers to stop further traffic getting out. Set off and bimble the first mile or two until all remaining traffic has passed you and then ride it as you wish.

7.10pm - I'd rather be in the bar. :jager

Haven't been for years after going a lot in my sportsbike days, 9:41 is about as quick as I got and that was on my mille R so it's certainly a good effort on a GS.

Interesting article in this months RiDE magazine about the ring and insurance. Some bloke had written in asking if it was legal for his insurance to exclude the ring by name as lots of insurance policies do these days, either that or they exclude "unidirectional toll roads".

The answer was that of course it was legal, an insurer can place any conditions they like as long as they include them in the small print which we all read, don't we!!

More worrying was the legal bods opinion that as it has the status of a public road then you are effectively riding without insurance. Meaning you could be prosecuted for this in Germany, potentially have the bike seized and if found to have caused an accident be personally liable, effectively they could come after your house, pension and any other assets you had.
Obviously all unlikely but it could be disastrous for somebody.

This is very much a precis of the comment but worth a read next time you are standing in a supermarket.

Another legal viewpoint on this is that under EU law the UK policies were in actual fact legally bound to cover you on a public one way toll road (with various speed limits in place)...The Nurburgring Nordschleife BUT that if you made a claim...whilst they will pay out, they would seek payback from you via UK courts for breach of their T and Cs. There was a case a few years ago where someone was trying to take the ins companies to task over it. No idea whether he managed it or not. Insurance firms tend to have more cash available than joe public and his CorsaVXR

As had been said, the best time to ride Nürburgring is as late into a session as possible. The locals will have gone home and it will be as quiet as going to get.
However, you do run the risk of the track closing early due to a crash. As I found out to my cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, you do run the risk of the track closing early due to a crash. As I found out to my cost.

A positive way to view it will be that it won't have been your crash and you'll still be able to re-visit the next day/week/year. :beerjug:

A positive way to view it will be that it won't have been your crash and you'll still be able to re-visit the next day/week/year. :beerjug:

So true. The 1st time I was there last year I didn’t get a lap in because I waited. All day it was shut for an hour and a half, open for 40 mins. Shut for an hour and a half, open 40 mins.......
After a crash they open the track then wait about 20 mins before they let Bikes on.

I’d bought a ticket but used it 2 months later. Did my lap early morning. Gauged it so it was fairly quiet then went for it.

Back
Top Bottom